surround setup ?

Options
PhantomOG
PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
edited November 2003 in Speakers
got the FXi30's this weekend, haven't set them up yet though.

question about wall placement. My couch is right up against the back wall of my living room. should i mount the 30's on the back wall or the side walls? if i mount them on the back wall, do i swith the Left and Right so that the 5 1/4" drivers are facing inward? bipole or dipole mode?
Post edited by PhantomOG on

Comments

• donahue
    donahue Posts: 125
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Phantom,

I just got through mounting mine on the back wall. They are about 6 feet from the floor (to bottom of speaker), and about 2-3 feet to the left and right side of the couch. I have read in other threads here that bipole is the way to go with a 5.1 setup.

Ray
  • PhantomOG
    edited November 2003
    Options
    so do you have the 5 1/4" drivers facing inward or outward?
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2003
    Options
    If your couch is snug on that rear wall, I would mount them on the sides, dipole mode. If mounted directly above your head, you will lose alot of the surround effects. You will probably "hear" them, but they won't be apart of your surround soundstage.

I would try the swapping of the sides to see what works best for you. If the same situation was on my end I would have the woofers facing me if I sat on the back wall.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • PhantomOG
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    If your couch is snug on that rear wall, I would mount them on the sides, dipole mode. If mounted directly above your head, you will lose alot of the surround effects. You will probably "hear" them, but they won't be apart of your surround soundstage.

my couch is snug against the rear wall. so if I mounted on the side walls would i have them right up against the back wall?

i would like to move the couch out some but my living room is very wide but not very deep. moving the couch out would help with my rear center as well. i have a Csi30 for rear center duty but it is not hooked up currently because i do not want to deal with mounting it to the wall.
  • Fireman99
    Fireman99 Posts: 129
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I changeds my 30's from mid pointing out to in and there is a much better sound with the mid pointed in IMO (rear wall mount)
    left mine on bipole aswell
    Dan
    Recever AVR 8000
    Amp PA 4000
    CDR 26
    Mains RTI 150 Bi wired
    Center CSI 40 Bi wired
    Surround FXI 30
    Rear RTI 4
    Sub PSW 140
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2003
    Options
    pog,
    suggest you grab a couple 6' step ladders and play with positions before you commit to wall anchors.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD