RMAF Rocky Mountain Audio Fest OCT 12-14

Options
Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
edited October 2012 in Gatherings & Special Events
Anyone Going?

I know POLK will be there this year. I will be there Saturday..

Mark is anyone from HQ going to be there??
Post edited by Toolfan66 on

Comments

• geoff727
    geoff727 Posts: 546
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I'll be there, as always. Roger (the guy I worked on the RTA12C's for) will be there too.

G~
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS-IIIa (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1290711373
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I'll be there Friday to Sunday! The Wife is coming too . . .
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I'm going to try and take/make a Polk Audio LSiM Series sign laser cut out of stainless steel for the guys in the audio room. I am hoping the wife will go with me as well.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I wish. Are they doing Can Jam again? Don't forget to give the headphones a proper listen!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • WastelandWand'r
    WastelandWand'r Posts: 466
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Wish I could but hell, I mean Bethel, would be empty without me.
    Nathan
    Home Rig

SDA 2.3TL's front and center
    Polk 1000p Center
    Pioneer Elite SC35 Receiver (Pre/Surround
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 5X200-Back in the mix.
    OPPO BDP-93
    Squeezebox
    Stepped up to name brand Speaker Cables and interconnects!
    Monitor 4, 5, 7, 10's, SDA 1B's, 2B's, 2.3TL's, RTA 15TL's all in storage waiting for me.
    Sales Rating #1!!
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I'm going to try and take/make a Polk Audio LSiM Series sign laser cut out of stainless steel for the guys in the audio room. I am hoping the wife will go with me as well.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?137471-Polk-Audio-LSiM-Laser-Art-amp-Business-Card-Holders..&p=1824587#post1824587

Check it out!!
  • jaritta
    jaritta Posts: 277
    edited October 2012
    Options
    My boss is going. bald guy with huge handle bar mustach.... cant miss him :)
    Harman kardon signature 2.1 amp
    Denon 3312
    Epson 8700ub
    Chief mount
    Screen Innovations Performance Series 110in
    Kef q 500 (RL)
    Kef q 200 (C)
    Kef q 800 (Rear RL)
    REL T7 (SUB)
    mx 450 remote
    Sonos-Amp, Connect, Play5
  • grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Heading in early tomorrow afternoon. So much more prepared than I was last year... I'm sure I will still be overwhelmed with everything.
  • hewlew1
    hewlew1 Posts: 154
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Those of you who are going dont forget to post some pics.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    edited October 2012
    Options
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    I'll be there Friday to Sunday! The Wife is coming too . . .

Why don't you cone on out a little further west? I could use the help moving.:wink::lol:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    edited October 2012
    Options
    The new SVS Ultra loudspeakers are supposed to be on display. They look damn sexy...

http://www.svsound.com/ultra-series-speakers
  • hewlew1
    edited October 2012
    Options
    They do look nice.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited October 2012
    Options
    hewlew1 wrote: »
    Those of you who are going dont forget to post some pics.

here you go

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110562.0

and day two
    http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110588.0
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I was able to team up months ago with Kent from MIT and get Polk Audio LSiM703's in their demo room. They're using Sound Anchor stands and all Cary Audio gear.

I'm not sure who's there but would bet on Steve "Odie" being there and representing the Polk room. So not only do we have our own area, MIT has agreed to piggyback showcase us with their cable demos in their room. It's a WIN WIN for everyone.

Thanks to Kent, Bruce, Tim and all the folks at MIT for taking a chance on our new series and providing awesome feedback prior to the show. Their collective response about the new LSiM was seriously good and there's a reason we're there Polkies.....that's a big deal here at HQ.

Mark
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Steve is there representing the polk room..
  • hewlew1
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Thanks for the links George.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Those SVS Ultra speakers look great, and the design could be very successful. I was a big fan of their M series as it used fantastic drivers, and I hope the new Ultra speakers do to. Need to get my ears on them...
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    edited October 2012
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    Those SVS Ultra speakers look great, and the design could be very successful. I was a big fan of their M series as it used fantastic drivers, and I hope the new Ultra speakers do to. Need to get my ears on them...

I liked the M series as well. Here is a mini review of the Ultras

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=277%3Asvss-ultra-tower-a-budget-speaker-breakthrough&catid=92%3Armaf-2012-general&Itemid=346
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited October 2012
    Options
    No pictures of the Polk room????
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Hello, gentlemen. If you would like some pictures of the RMAF show, here's a link to hundreds of them....not sure if the Polk room is included in these or not Drenis;

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?8265-Steve-e-RMAF-2012-Picture-Thread-And-Top-5-In-Show

I do have a question for those who did attend. Of the selections of songs that were being played, did you walk away with something you felt as one of the best musical selections of the show? Something new perhaps that you would consider a "must have"?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SolidSqual
    edited October 2012
    Options
    If I had $107,000, "into the labyrinth" by Dead Can Dance sold the Lansche Reference speakers to all who heard it spinning on vinyl.
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I didn't see Polk in there at all....not surprising.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Hello, Mark. What gear were the Polk's running with? BTW, thanks SS. I have that album on order.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2012
    Options
    LSiM703 on Sound Anchor 4 post stands.....multiple MIT Cable and all Cary Audio. It was a SACD306 PRO, SA 200.2 Monblock Amplifiers and I'm not positive on the Pre-Amp but believe it was an SLP-03. I have an email somewhere but can't locate it from Kent. They had a sorta DBT setup so they could easily switch between the levels of their cables and play the same media thru our speakers. The reports are positive and whether you stand on ons side of teh fence or not, at least they were with POLK speakers. He mentioned that many folks asked what model they were and were impressed with them at $1500/pr.....compared to the rest of the show.

Here's the Stereophile comment:

Not to be outdone, Kent Loughlin of MIT (Music Interface Technologies) staged 5-minute cable comparisons in the MIT room on the 2nd floor of the Marriott?s Tower. Using a Cary CD player and Cary monoblock amplifiers, and Polk Audio monitors with Custom Sound Anchors stands, Loughlin initially chose the beautiful, albeit oft-played soprano solo from Reference Recordings? superb version of Rutter?s Requiem to let people hear the difference that MIT?s AVT Speaker Module ($149), which added up to 10 poles of articulation, brought to MIT?s custom installation cable (80 cents/foot for 12-gauge cable with two conductors).
    When someone in the room asked, ?Do you have anything other than classical?? Loughlin switched to a beautiful recording of a female singer/songwriter on the Blue Coast Records label. It was easy to hear how the AVT module brought more warmth to the sound, and conveyed far more information from the piano.

Then Loughlin switched from between different levels of cable in its ?affordable? Matrix Series. (MIT?s Matrix 18 Speaker Interface, which seems to be a fancy name for speaker cable, costs $999/pair) In this case, I heard far more depth and air. In addition, one of the other people in the room noted that he heard more realistic decay on the piano. ?Far more presence,? I wrote in my notes.

It?s easy for people who do not experience these tests in person to dismiss them. It?s a bit cheekier for people who sit in the room with others to tell those who hear differences that they are delusional, and that only double blind testing can tell for sure. Not that saying this will stop anyone from switching into auto-dismissal mode. Moving on. . .

MITKENT.jpg

In regards to pricing, that's exactly what we got at CAF2012 when asked about the price of the LSiM707.....almost like we were kidding and that was each....nope that's for a pair. It was a great reaction and it happened a lot.

Mark
  • grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    edited October 2012
    Options
    A few things i'm able to ad. If you look at the picture on page 7 of that link of the Kef Blades, look closely at the right speaker. There is a nickel tipped on it's edge on the top of the speaker. It didn't budge all day even with those things pumped up.

The most out of place piece of gear I saw for the day was inside a shared room with Swan speakers and a ton of gear at one end and then the totem embers on the other wall. Piled in between all the crap running the swan speakers was a Monster hts3600 power center in the mix. I like mine, but don't know if I would be trusting it to run what was plugged into it. Overall, it seems as if the clear choice for power filters/protection was PS Audio at the show... nearly every room I was in had some form of their power plant.
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Did anyone see the new Emerald Physics models?
    design is where science and art break even.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I'm also interested to hear if any of you were able to get an ear in Legacy's room. They have a new model out too called the Aerius, or somethin' like that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SolidSqual
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I heard the Aerius. Also, if it is not known, I am a major fan of OB speakers. I generally heard some very good highs and mids, but the bass needs to be tweaked a bit. The Aerius is not a full OB , so the low end is still taking place inside a cabinet (and sounded as much). Also, I think better electronics could have been selected to complement the ribbon tweeter. They needed some tubes or perhaps a low watt Pass amp to mellow out the detailed highs of the ribbon tweeter. All the same, I think it's a speaker they will continue to tweak and make better as they get to know its character.
  • SolidSqual
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Yup, saw it twice. First day it was down because they couldn't get the Room-Correction and bass to sound right. Nonetheless, Walter and I know each other well and he let me in the room to check out the new speakers. Cosmetically, they are leaps and bounds ahead of the original design. Sonically, I heard way better at the show. Speaking only about the CS2P, they are basically a CS2 with upgraded drivers and crossover design that works on one amp. Keeping that in mind, I suspect these speakers can sound amazing with the right electornics, but Walter wanted to create an affordable $6k system. Consequently, the sound with the new Emmy electronics was garbage. The bass was deep but had no authority or excitement. I've never heard deep bass that just sounded flat but that's the only way to describe it. The emmy amps sounded like terrible first gen Dclass amps unlike the butter from W4S next door.

I'm a major fan of the old Emmys. The new electronics in contrast may look awesome, but I think the performance will leave you wanting.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Mike, what if anything blew you away at the show ? Just curious is all, there always seems to be one or two standouts at these things.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable