Adcom GFA-585

Irrenhaus
Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
edited October 2012 in Speakers
Well on my way to pick up one of this to power my RTI12. It is 450.00 out of Craigslist. Original box and all paper work that has been service for leaking caps. I will update as soon is hook up and running.
HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
Post edited by Irrenhaus on

Comments

• Irrenhaus
    edited October 2012
    Okay so I got it hook up and it sounds great. I have to say is 9/10 on the condition, minor scratch on the heat-sink. More testing during the weekend.
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited October 2012
    Sounds like a plan ! Have fun and no clipping !!!:wink:
  • Irrenhaus
    edited December 2022
    Not sure why is this on speakers, It was one of my firts posting. Sorry for the rookie mistake. Please move to electronics if need it.

So it seems that my Adcom 585 is on his way out.

It makes what I can say a brrrrrr sound when is idle, it freak out my daugther. The amp is off now, it serve well for 10yrs, so now is a search for a new one. The used market is kind of high on prices at the moment.

I guess will use my Parasound 2125 for now, TV watching only, I dont think it can drive the R700 loud.

Options will still be:

Cambridge Audio
    Emotiva
    And others.

Cheers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    This guy is a genius if you would like to reach out to him.

https://hoppesbrain.com/product/gfa-585-boards/?adlt=strict

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I thought I heard that he retired? Maybe Iā€™m mistaken tho
  • pitdogg2
    Big sky retired. This guy did quit working on some models because parts are unobtainable. GFA 5202 was one he will not even entertain the thought of working on one.
    Don't hurt to give him a ring or email
  • Hi! Chris Hoppe here of Hoppe's Brain.

I'm nowhere near retiring, unfortunately. :/:)

The circuit board business is my primary focus now, but I am doing a small number of refurbs on the sorta down-low, at a slower pace, and for a lot more money.

Below is pasted a message I sent to the Adcom Audio Enthusiasts Group on Facebook. (A nice bunch of peoples) I'll extend the offer to everyone here at Polk...

I don't mention the GFA-585 in the message below, but I am willing to make an exception. I do have circuit boards for them, both the input boards, and also power supply boards that are not yet available on my store. They're similar to these GFA-565 power supply boards that I just launched yesterday. The board moves the rail fuses from the back panel, to the inside of the amp, on top of the capacitors, which reduces the amount of power supply wiring inside the amp. It's much cleaner looking inside.
    https://hoppesbrain.com/product/bfa-565-power-supply/
    vyugikn54v41.png

1dwnas9uxjaw.png

They're super nice amps. Indeed it is exactly the same circuit as the GFA-565, but with less power. (Still a monster though.) The only thing I don't like about the GFA-585, is that they are kind of cramped inside, and hard to work on, due to the two input boards being crammed in the same space that the GFA-565 has one. The price for a refurb reflects the extra labor.

Price for a GFA-585 refurb with "The works" is $1830, and that's all new input boards, new power supply capacitor, and the new power supply boards. The rest of the details will be similar to this GFA-555 I did recently.
    https://hoppesbrain.com/2022/09/26/another-tour-of-a-hoppes-brain-adcom-gfa-555-restoration-5-years-later-with-better-technology/

Here's some photos of a GFA-585 I did recently:
    164hktbsrwak.png

agypg6ivvokw.png

5sz9kz9nle5p.png

Hey Adcom fans!

I've decided to "open my books" in a limited way, and start doing a small number of amplifier refurbs. I'm making this offer only to members of AAEG, and once I have four amps in my queue, the books will be closed again until there are slots open in my schedule. I do not want to maintain a waiting list, it's very stressful to have lots of people waiting, so when I have availability, I will post here on AAEG. Watch this space.

I'm only interested in these models:

GFA-555 I
    GFA-555 II
    GFA-565

If you have an Adcom GFP-**** preamp that goes with your amp, I can refurb that as well, but I'm not interested in refurbing preamps on their own.

I had stopped doing refurbs a couple years ago, because I just wasn't making enough money to make ends meet. My prices were far too low, and I was trying to crank out two pieces a week, which is just stressful and ultimately impossible. It was actually causing me physical pain trying to keep up that pace.

So now I am looking to do about one or two pieces per month, and I have to charge a more than I used to --A LOT MORE--. I was seriously under-charging, especially considering the level of detail and perfection I get into. :^/ And parts cost is way up.
    In this age of high inflation and $4000 silver-faced receivers, it's not unreasonable to ask more.
    ā€‹
    So the prices...

GFA-555 I or GFA-555 II:
    Base-refurb: $980
    New Hoppe's Brain BFA-555 input board. The entire amp is disassembled and cleaned, the output sections refurbished and inspected, etc etc, All the obsessive details I'm known for... Original power supply capacitors are retained. (They are usually just fine.)

Base-refurb + New 20,000uF power supply capacitors: $1180
    (Kemet ALS70, 20,000uF. Cannot do more capacitance without going to a soft-start power supply, due to in-rush current.)

"The Works"
    Base refurb + New 36,000uF power supply capacitors + Hoppe's Brain Smart Soft-Start Power Supply: $1580
    (Kemet ALS70, 36,000uF)

GFA-565:
    Base-refurb: $1180 New Hoppe's Brain BFA-565 input board. The entire amp is disassembled and cleaned, the output sections refurbished and inspected, new binding posts, etc etc, All the obsessive details I'm known for... Original power supply capacitors are retained. (They are usually just fine.)

"The Works"
    Base-refurb + New power supply capacitors + Hoppe's Brain BFA-565 Power Supply: $1680
    (Kemet ALS70, 36,000uF)

A $300 deposit is required to get started. Send me a PM and I'll reserve your spot.

Thank you Adcom fans!
  • pitdogg2
    Hey Chris welcome aboard! Very nice of you to stop by, glad to hear your still doing work. We chatted a few years back over my 5802, which I incorrectly numbered (5202) in my post above.
    Boy I was ready to dump some dollars into that puppy. šŸ˜‰
    Thanks for stopping by! šŸ‘
  • Irrenhaus
    Hi! Chris Hoppe here of Hoppe's Brain.

The circuit board business is my primary focus now, but I am doing a small number of refurbs on the sorta down-low, at a slower pace, and for a lot more money.

Below is pasted a message I sent to the Adcom Audio Enthusiasts Group on Facebook. (A nice bunch of peoples) I'll extend the offer to everyone here at Polk...

I don't mention the GFA-585 in the message below, but I am willing to make an exception. I do have circuit boards for them, both the input boards, and also power supply boards that are not yet available on my store. They're similar to these GFA-565 power supply boards that I just launched yesterday. The board moves the rail fuses from the back panel, to the inside of the amp, on top of the capacitors, which reduces the amount of power supply wiring inside the amp. It's much cleaner looking inside.
    vyugikn54v41.png

1dwnas9uxjaw.png

They're super nice amps. Indeed it is exactly the same circuit as the GFA-565, but with less power. (Still a monster though.) The only thing I don't like about the GFA-585, is that they are kind of cramped inside, and hard to work on, due to the two input boards being crammed in the same space that the GFA-565 has one. The price for a refurb reflects the extra labor.

Price for a GFA-585 refurb with "The works" is $1830, and that's all new input boards, new power supply capacitor, and the new power supply boards. The rest of the details will be similar to this GFA-555 I did recently.
    https://hoppesbrain.com/2022/09/26/another-tour-of-a-hoppes-brain-adcom-gfa-555-restoration-5-years-later-with-better-technology/

164hktbsrwak.png

agypg6ivvokw.png

5sz9kz9nle5p.png

Hey Adcom fans!

I've decided to "open my books" in a limited way, and start doing a small number of amplifier refurbs. I'm making this offer only to members of AAEG, and once I have four amps in my queue, the books will be closed again until there are slots open in my schedule. I do not want to maintain a waiting list, it's very stressful to have lots of people waiting, so when I have availability, I will post here on AAEG. Watch this space.

GFA-555 I
    GFA-555 II
    GFA-565

If you have an Adcom GFP-**** preamp that goes with your amp, I can refurb that as well, but I'm not interested in refurbing preamps on their own.

I had stopped doing refurbs a couple years ago, because I just wasn't making enough money to make ends meet. My prices were far too low, and I was trying to crank out two pieces a week, which is just stressful and ultimately impossible. It was actually causing me physical pain trying to keep up that pace.

So now I am looking to do about one or two pieces per month, and I have to charge a more than I used to --A LOT MORE--. I was seriously under-charging, especially considering the level of detail and perfection I get into. :^/ And parts cost is way up.
    In this age of high inflation and $4000 silver-faced receivers, it's not unreasonable to ask more.
    ā€‹
    So the prices...

GFA-555 I or GFA-555 II:
    New Hoppe's Brain BFA-555 input board. The entire amp is disassembled and cleaned, the output sections refurbished and inspected, etc etc, All the obsessive details I'm known for... Original power supply capacitors are retained. (They are usually just fine.)

(Kemet ALS70, 20,000uF. Cannot do more capacitance without going to a soft-start power supply, due to in-rush current.)

"The Works"
    Base refurb + New 36,000uF power supply capacitors + Hoppe's Brain Smart Soft-Start Power Supply: $1580
    (Kemet ALS70, 36,000uF)

GFA-565:
    Base-refurb: $1180 New Hoppe's Brain BFA-565 input board. The entire amp is disassembled and cleaned, the output sections refurbished and inspected, new binding posts, etc etc, All the obsessive details I'm known for... Original power supply capacitors are retained. (They are usually just fine.)

"The Works"
    Base-refurb + New power supply capacitors + Hoppe's Brain BFA-565 Power Supply: $1680
    (Kemet ALS70, 36,000uF)

A $300 deposit is required to get started. Send me a PM and I'll reserve your spot.

Thank you Adcom fans!

Hi Chris,

Mine seems it was modified at some point. I am the 2nd owner.
    Hi! Chris Hoppe here of Hoppe's Brain.

vyugikn54v41.png

1dwnas9uxjaw.png

164hktbsrwak.png

agypg6ivvokw.png

5sz9kz9nle5p.png

Hey Adcom fans!

GFA-555 I
    GFA-555 II
    GFA-565

ā€‹
    So the prices...

GFA-555 I or GFA-555 II:

"The Works"
    (Kemet ALS70, 36,000uF)

GFA-565:

"The Works"
    (Kemet ALS70, 36,000uF)

Thank you Adcom fans!

Hi Chris

Thanks for the update. I am the second owner of the amp, it seems it did have some modifications done. I am not sure.

ng9ayabg6b0u.jpg

us3xik46l6c9.jpg

Just came back home today and it seems to be dead, no audio output at all.

Cheers
  • Someone has installed a DC protection board in your GFA-585. Perhaps the amp has gone DC again and the board is doing its job and not switching the speakers on?

I would just remove the protection board, fix the amp properly, and not worry about it. I haven't had a single amplifier blow-out in the field, for 8 years in business.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Wish you would consider servicing Adcom GFA 5802 & 5503

They worked great the last time they were fired up. Being almost 30 years old, Iā€™m not a fan of the magical smoke

AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog wrote: Ā»
    Wish you would consider servicing Adcom GFA 5802 & 5503

They worked great the last time they were fired up. Being almost 30 years old, Iā€™m not a fan of the magical smoke

Yeah, sorry. I've found that the key to my business actually turning a profit is specialization in particular models. I don't need to stock as many different parts, and there are few surprises in the course of restoring an amp.

I like the GFA-5503 and 5500 though, excellent amps. It's the 5802 that has so many issues. (Such a shame because it sounds so great.)
  • Irrenhaus
    Hi,

This is tempting and I can get it same day.

Arcam P240

Still considering the Emotiva XPA-DR2 Differential Reference there is 10% discount.
    Or the Anthem MCA 225 Gen 2

I think I can have the 585 repair and refurbish later is a great amp.

cheers
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    As a past owner of a few pieces of Adcom gear, 585, 5802 being two of them, and them being beasts amps in their respected price points on the used market, I should also note being great stepping stones in my audio journey over the years, it would be hard for me to put that kind of coin into these amps.
  • Hi,

Or the Anthem MCA 225 Gen 2

This one looks really good to me! I found some pictures of the internals, and I saw On Semi transistors and Panasonic capacitors, good stuff, so I think is should really last. The layout looks smart. The fact that it nearly doubles power at half impedance, from 225W at 8 ohms, to 400W at 4 ohms. Excellent power supply, dual mono... really nice.

• Irrenhaus
    Hi,

Thanks for the input. I went with the XPA-DR3 Differential Referenc Three Channel Power Amplifier it had a 20% discount. Is for HT work so music is only a few times. I think it will power the R700 and R400 good. Better than the SC99.

Cheers