Caught up with a friend who I used to compete against

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited November 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
in local sound competitions. I got out of it and went to college, he stuck with it and was competing on a national level.

He has 2 kids now so he HAD to buy a Suburban he says. He was always going way overboard with his stereos. So I started talking to him and he just HAD to show me his Suburban. He doesn't compete anymore but you couldn't tell!

He had 6 Phoenix Gold Ti15's in a baffled enclosure behind the rear seat. That was being powered by 3 Phoenix Gold OCTANE-R 15.0:1 amps! He also had 2 sets of Phoenix Gold 951 COMP ELITE 3-way components sets in custom door panels in the front and rear door panels. That was being powered by a pair of Hifonics XI-ZEUS stereo amps. He said they were running in 2 ohm mode so that's 550W x 2 at 2 ohms peak. I believe it is about 275-300 watts RMS per channel at 2 ohms.

So total wattage in this truck was 6700 watts peak and about 3500 watts rms. Those 6 15 inch subs were absolutly incredible! Do you know how LOUD 6700 watts is? That truck set off car alarms 100 yards away and literally shook the earth around it! He had the windows down and the air velocity coming through the windows was enough to mess up my hair. My hair is pretty short too! It was blowing the water off of the leaves of the bush next to the truck.

He had a false panel under the rear floor. He built a bucket and inside the bucket was 6 1000 amp batteries wired up to a very beefy regulator and about 10 1 farad capacitors. Going into this regulator was this wire that was like an inch and a half thick! I looked under the hood and he had a custom alternator bracket with 2 custom 300 amp alternators plus his regular alternator. The engine was built pretty well. It was a fuel injected big block 454 punched out to 502 cubes with a set of aluminum heads and literally all the power goodies you can think of. He had dual 4 inch sewer pipes for exhaust and the engine alone would set off alarms! He said the engine was making about 750 horses and about 300 of it he estimated was turning the alternators. He wants to get a twin turbo kit for it because "it doesn't make enough power". Nuckin' Futs man, nuckin' futs!

Aside from the fancy wheels and sewer pipe sized exhaust, it looked like a regular Suburban. He doesn't compete anymore and he refuses to have pictures taken of the truck. He wants no more publicity with it. He's a family man now he says. The truck is his "toy" and he paid for the whole thing with winnings he got from IASCA competition and sponsorship bonuses. It cost him something like 78K total. He said his imaging is off so he doesn't make his best peak decibel number but he measured it at 138 db between the front seats. I said "That's all?!" sarcastically. I'll bet that if he actually worked at it, he could get another 6-8 db out of it easily.

I was very impressed! He was out here visiting family and now lives out in west Pennsylvania. He said he owns his own business now but I don't know what he does. Not important though.

But WOW, was that truck LOUD!
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited November 2003
    damn i want that truck...

when i'm done with it in about 6-8 years my RoadRunner will be better ;p
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited November 2003
    138 does sound weak for what he has...
    i could probaby hit 138 with my 2 mm12s
    but then again i have a truck and he has a burban
    if he doesnt have dynamat he should get some...
    a little better placement of his speakers
    a better place to put the mic and he could probably hit 148
    sounds awesome
    i envy him
    lol
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2003
    if he's at 138 with that, then its downtuned for his daily driving sound listening purposes...

those subs will do a lot more. that is a sick install -- you shoulda stuck with the guy ... then u coulda got me free ****!
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2003
    Originally posted by sntnsupermen131
    138 does sound weak for what he has...
    i could probaby hit 138 with my 2 mm12s
    but then again i have a truck and he has a burban
    if he doesnt have dynamat he should get some...
    a little better placement of his speakers
    a better place to put the mic and he could probably hit 148
    sounds awesome
    i envy him
    lol
    -Cody

I really don't think he cares. At one point, he said he was a record holder in his class. Reached something like 169 dB or something. I didn't catch the number. That vehicle had about 9,000 watts running through it. Most of it went to the subwoofers.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!