Correct Receiver & Speakers

Options
boboso
boboso Posts: 3
edited November 2003 in Speakers
I am currently setting up my home theater and audi system and have a question regarding matching the receiver to the speakers. I am planning on purchasing/using the following:

- Polk LSi9 for main (new)
- Polk LSCi for center (new)
- Polk PSW404 for sub (new)
- Polk Rear In-Ceiling speakers (new - no decision on model)
- Polk Atrium Speakers (new - outside Zone 2)
- Onkyo 801 A/V receiver (new)
- Onkyo 501 DVD (new- may be changed to SACD playable type)
- Sony VHS (existing)
- Digital Satellite (existing)
- 50" LCD or Plasma (to - be)
- PS2 (existing)
- Prismiq Media Player (new)
- Dell 8200 PC

My question is that due to the 4ohm rating on the LSi will I be okay with the Onkyo 801?

Thanks!:confused:
Post edited by boboso on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I'm not farmiliar with the Onkyo 801 but receivers are not very good at powering the LSi unless you're using top of the line receivers. If the 801 has pre outs for external amps, you should take advantage of it if you want to power the LSi. Your receiver will power the LSi but they won't sound their best. If you really want LSi's, get them and upgrade your receiver to seperates in the future to hear those speaers shine.

Maurice
  • eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I talked to a salsman recently that said he uses his onkyo 801 to power his set of LSI's and they work fine as long as he dont go cranking them then it would go into power protect mode.. But he said that would be alot louder then the normal listening volume he uses.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2003
    Options
    eclypse,
    In other words the 801 can't handle the LSi's... That's the way I'd take his comment.

There are "normal" levels and then there are funtime levels.. music and HT...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I gotta agee, the Onkyo won't do the Lsi's justice, nor will it be able to provide the power needed for louder than normal playback. Let be honest here, are you going to put together a killer HT system and play it only at moderate levels.......I didn't think so!;)
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D