Another Q for Russman about Klipsch

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited November 2003 in Speakers
By looking at the specs, it seems like the RB-35 should sound warmer and more dynamic than the RF-15. Here's the important stuff for the two speakers:

What do you think?

RF-15:

SENSITIVITY:
96dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter
POWER HANDLING:
100 watts maximum continuous (400 watts peak)
HF CROSSOVER:
2350Hz
WOOFER:
Two K-1131-AB 5.25" (13.34cm) Cerametallic® cone / cast polymer frame

RB-35:

SENSITIVITY:
96dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter
POWER HANDLING:
125 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak)
HF CROSSOVER:
2350Hz
WOOFER:
One K-1128-OB 8" (20.32cm) Cerametallic® cone / cast polymer frame

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I don't see the specs for warmth and dynamics?

What would lead you to believe that? Curious. You should be able to get a demo of both, as common as Klipsch retailers are.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I'm just thinking that the larger woofer should provide more dynamics and warmth. It also has higher power handling.

I just don't think that demos in the store will be any good. They told me their Klipsch are connected to either Oink or Yammie receivers and I know they will sound totally different in my rig. I'll probably still demo them though keeping in mind that they'll sound much better in my system.

Maurice
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Truth of the matter, if I HAD to guess - I'd go with the multiple, smaller drivers in this scenario.

Couple of reasons, one being that it is *harder* for a manufacturer to get a good blend between mid-bass an tweeter with a larger driver, like a 8". The result is sometimes better low-end, but a laid back, chesty vocal reproduction.

Not saying it hasn't ever been done right, it has.

Second, the 2 5" drivers, though individually do not have the f3 of the 8", do have more cone surface area, and are loaded in a larger enclosure. I'd be willing to be they perform very similar in the bass dept, but the multiple smaller drivers will win out on vocals and strings.

That being said, go listen anyway. Yes your rig will sound better, but you should still be able to hear a difference in the 2 models - on any gear.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Thanks Russ. I'm still leaning towards the RF-15. You're right about the driver size. Just like how the LSi9 can produce killer bass with small drivers. Gotta go to class now. Thanks again.

Maurice