Help....which subs?

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited November 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Hey everyone, I need some advice. I currently have a pair of 10" MTX 8000s but I think one is damaged. I was thinking about just upgrading instead of replacing the one bad one. Here is the thing though, I want to use the same box and amp so my options are limited. Any subs I get need to work in about 0.6-1.0 airspace and need to have a mounting depth of about 5.5" or less. The Momo MM104 seem to be very close to my MTX in all the catagories but I have never heard them. I do have the MOMO 6.5" components though and I really like them. Here are some of my choices:

1) Stay with the MTX 8000s
2) Polk/MOMO MM104
3) Fosgate HE2 (not sure about depth)
4) Fosgate HX2

What do you guys think would best way to go. I listen to all kinds of music but mostly Hip Hop

By the way, my amp is a Fosgate 800.4. I have it bridged to 400 x 2 at 4 ohm.

Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited November 2003
    Options
    MOMO will give you the best overall sound quality. HE2 subs are crap compared to everything you listed. HX2's are great for booming, but won't hit the tight bass as accurately... which would work for hip hop... MTX 8000's are the only one's I've never had "real world" experience with but I think MOMO and HX2's are better overall from what I've heard and from what little experience I actually do have with the 8000's.

Another option you could look into are the Alpine Type-R's. Great subs. I believe they have about the same mounting depth as what you're looking for, very good sound quality... I find them a little better than the MOMO for hip hop. Really I would put the Alpine R's and the MOMO's on the same level overall, with maybe a slight advantage going toward the Alpines, with the HX2 coming in a distant second... but if you listen to mainly hip hop, it would be a not so distant second. That's just my opinion though... someone else might be able to suggest something that would suit your needs even better.
    "The Big C"
  • JDOGG
    JDOGG Posts: 433
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I'd say go with the HX2's.
    Panasonic VIERA 46" 1080p plasma
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited November 2003
    Options
    the hx2's are dvc that can be wired in 2 or 8 ohms right?
    or not?
    id go with the mm104s
    they have 3 yr warranties and are very nice sounding subs
    -Cody
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited November 2003
    Options
    You can get HX2's in dual 2 or dual 4.
    But I'd have to agree... MOMO's will be better, or Type R's.
    "The Big C"
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2003
    Options
    i would say go with one of the following ---

1- momo mm104
    2- momo mm2104
    3- alpine type R

in no particular order
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2003
    Options
    thanks for your help. I have heard good things about the type R but I think they are too deep for my box. I was going to go with JL but they are also too deep. It looks like I am leaning toward the mm104 but I have heard good things about the HX2.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited November 2003
    Options
    if youve heard about good things about the hx2 from the same guy who told you JL was good...then anything else they tell you...you can pretty much block that out too...
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2003
    Options
    power hx2's are very loud - and durable - but sound like poo... thats my take
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge