Bottom line it, which Polk set would you choose, and why?

Options
bigsexy1
bigsexy1 Posts: 557
edited November 2003 in Speakers
For use with a Denon 3803 (which, as most of you already know, in addition to a pair of side surrounds, also allows for 2 different pairs of rear surround speakers to be hooked up and switched between).

Mains RT3000P vs. RTi8 plus SVS PB2 ISD
Center CS1000P vs. RTi5
Side Surrounds fx1000 vs. fxi5
Rear Surrounds fx1000 vs. fxi5
Rear Corner Surrounds RT55 vs. RTi8

Old or new? I'm leaning toward the new.
Opinions wanted please, and thanks in advance.
Post edited by bigsexy1 on

Comments

• Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited November 2003
    Options
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Old, but that 3000P is not my favorite. I like outboard subwoofers, and the SVS is a giant killer. Its a win/win situation with your setup, they will sound great either way.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Ceruleance
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I have faith that the 3000p's and 1000p will best the pb2 in output, at least above 30hz. bottom line is that if you go used you just get a much better value and a lot more speaker, plus if you want to upgrade in the future you can add an SVS, a lot easier than selling everything and buying new stuff

either way let us know how it goes
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I'd go for the new. Although the RT3000p look mighty impressive, their clean output range down low is really no better than the RTi150s (-3dB limit is 26 Hz for both types). Even the RTi150s benefit immensely when watching DVDs by having an SVS subwoofer in the system. I also like the idea of having the four corner surrounds evenly matched RTi8s for multichannel music.

It would also bug me to have all those powered speakers plugged in all the time.
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Ceruleance, you reallt think the 3000/1000 sub combo would trump a PB2 ISD? I'm not saying that it wouldn't, but I'd be very surprised.
  • Ceruleance
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Yes, above 30 hz, like I said.

I'm not sure about displacement because I dont have polk's figures, but in terms of driver surface area:

PB2 ISD has 226 sq in. (2x 12inch)
    3000/1000 has 270 (4x 8inch. 2x 6.5inch)

enclosure volume should be similar with the edge to the polk's, porting the edge goes to the SVS.

Power, 600 watt SVS amp, 700 watts combined for 3000/1000

ultimately, the SVS is tuned for lower extension, which is going to limit its output above 25 or 30 hz (for evidence of this see FR graphs for any SVS cylinder sub, the smallest subs are tuned to 25 hz and as such they play louder above 25hz than any of the larger enclosure models in the same series--at the cost of low freq. extension.)

Besides who said he cant have the 3000/1000 combo and the SVS? Maybe not right away but certainly do-able in a future upgrade.

I've got no experience with either unit however so anyone with another opinion feel free to disagree