what do I need?

Options
dcorrea
dcorrea Posts: 80
edited November 2003 in Electronics
With the introduction of a whole bunch of different audio formats can anyone tell me what exactly I need to play SACD, DVD-A and 5.1 audio cd's?
I have a HK AVR 525 that has HDCD decoding onboard, but my DVD player is rather old. Its not even progressive scan capable. Would I need to upgrade my dvd player? I'm pretty sure I would have to upgrade to enjoy SACD right, but what about the other two formats?
HK AVR 525
Polk RTi-100 Fronts
Polk RTi-38 Rears
Polk CSi-40 Center
Polk FXi-30 (have nowhere to put them just yet)
Post edited by dcorrea on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2003
    Options
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2003
    Options
    In order to play back DVD-A and SACD you will need a player that is capable of playing either/or both formats. A universal player will have multichannel (6) outputs to pass the analog signal to yoyr receiver/preamp. You cannot pass a digital DVD-A or SACD signal, unless you have a Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai and a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi. As far as I know those are the only 2 pieces of equipment that will actually pass a Multi-channel Hi-Rez signal through anything other than analog connections. Multi Channel DD 5.1 and DTS soundtracks can be played on any Receiver/Preamp & DVD/Cd player that is capable of decoding those formats, or in the case of some DVD players, passing the signal to the receiver/Preamp for decoding.

Make sense?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I concur with doro.
    Frank, doesn't the Denon 5900 with the 5803 also do that? I believe it does.
  • Frank Z
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I'm not sure, the 5900 is fairly new.
  • dcorrea
    dcorrea Posts: 80
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Ok so if I am understanding this correctly, I can only listen to SACD or DVD-A on certain dvd players but normal 5.1 encoded cd's I can listen to on a regular dvd player. Am I understanding this correctly?
    HK AVR 525
    Polk RTi-100 Fronts
    Polk RTi-38 Rears
    Polk CSi-40 Center
    Polk FXi-30 (have nowhere to put them just yet)
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited November 2003
    Options
    yes you are correct. the high resolution of dvd-a and sacd is only for players specifically designed for dvd-a and sacd. You don't need the pioneer or denon to play dvd-a and sacd though, you can get any number of players that have SACD or DVD-A support and use analog connections (6 RCA interconnects) to connect to your 525.
  • Frank Z
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Ceruleance
    You don't need the pioneer or denon to play dvd-a and sacd though, you can get any number of players that have SACD or DVD-A support and use analog connections (6 RCA interconnects) to connect to your 525.

Very true.
    Just to clarify, the references to Pioneer and Denon were in regard to Non-analog connections only. There are numerous universal players on the market besides Denon and Pioneer. Sorry for the confusion.