HT room setup/placement

Options
kelley
kelley Posts: 287
edited November 2003 in Speakers
Here's my dilema. We bought a house and the basement and upstairs are unfinished and will be for a long time. The woman gave me a room of my own a while back for stereo gear and I've been making due. The problem is the room is only 11'x12'. The effin kitchen is about 25'x25' and it's the biggest room on the first floor! I've threatened to start knocking down walls but that's not going to happen according to the boss (she actually bought the house) so I'm stuck for awhile. I have been set up with the tv and fronts along the 11' length. Either way I'm not going to get the space I need for my 3.1's from the side walls. My question is what does everyone think would be the best way to go? Switch the fronts and tv to the 12' wall and get a little more clearance from the side walls. The only problem with this is that I don't have as much depth between the surrounds and fronts. I made some measurements and it looks like it will come out to approx 8' between the fronts and 8' from the fronts to the surround speakers. I've got the tv off of the stand and all of my gear out of the way since I'm modifying the stand to hold both CS-400's so now is the time to move everything. I've got way too much crap packed in here to try experimenting so I'm looking for a consensus and that's the way I'll go. Thanks
SDS-400, SDA-1B, SVS 20-39pc+, B&K Ref 50, Denon 2900
Post edited by kelley on

Comments

• Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Well, the best situation is to make sure that you have an equalateral triange from each of the speakers to your listening position, at least for the fronts.

I would setup your fronts and center and wait on the surrounds, there isn't THAT much surround data on movies and if you tell your reciever you don't have surrounds it will make due (processing).

That's my .02
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited November 2003
    Options
    If possible, set the rig up downstairs so you can to have a 25 x 25 room of your own. Does it matter if the basement is not finished?

Just a thought.
  • kelley
    kelley Posts: 287
    edited November 2003
    Options
    The basement is cement walls, cement floors, not to mention I'm afraid I might go thru the steps trying to get the tv down there. I've started clearing out my room and will set it up with everything on the 12' foot wall. I've got to get my FX500's included though, too good to not use.
    SDS-400, SDA-1B, SVS 20-39pc+, B&K Ref 50, Denon 2900
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Well, the FXs are dipole/bipole switchable.

I have LSiFX right behind my couch on the wall and they sound quite spacious, even though they are just 4-5 feet from my head above.

I think they are on bipole mode, but not sure.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200