Fxi30/50 help

Options
PhantomOG
PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
edited November 2003 in Speakers
alright. so i couldn't make up my mind and waited too long to purchase some surrounds. none of the circuit city's near me have any old Fxi's in stock.

i'm looking for some help on acquiring some NEW fxi30's or 50's at a good price. i'm open to calling a non-local store that is willing to ship or even paying someone on here to buy them and ship them, assuming the price is right. anybody seen any for sale in the past couple days? give me a store name and location.

the fry's near me has one set (displays) of fxi30's for 199. the price is reasonable but i'd much rather have a new set, call me anal but i want the box/warranty card/etc. i guess i might end up buying that pair (assuming it's still there) just in case i can't find a new set someplace else.

my current system:
RTi70's (mains)
CSi40 (front center)
CSi30 (rear center)
R20's (surrounds)
Onkyo TX-SR600

thanks for the help!
Post edited by PhantomOG on

Comments

• dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited November 2003
    Options
    You will get the warr. with open box and if you really want them and they are the only ones left get them. if not call Crutchfield they might have some there 18005559507. Everything is getting rare and hard to find in most places.

Good luck

Dave
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2003
    Options
    They're on ebay brand new for $215 plus $25 shipping. But I'd consider getting them at Crutchfield for $279. Get them while you still can.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • PhantomOG
    edited November 2003
    Options
    alright. so i'm buying a pair of surrounds this weekend. a pair of 30's for 200 or a pair of 50's for 300.

are the 50's worth the extra 100 bucks? my system is used mainly for movies. my gut is telling me i won't notice the difference so i should get the 30's. but then again, this is the final piece of HT i'll be buying for hopefully quite a long time and part of me is saying just get the 50's for peace of mind. the next piece of equipment i'll buy will probably be a better receiver/amp and i'm somewhat concerned about overdriving the 30's.
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Well, the 50s give you 6.5" instead of a 5.25". That allows the lower -3db limit to be 50hz instead of 55hz. Not much difference there.

Also, the 50s can handle 50w more... but I doubt you'll really blow out the 30s running 150w unless you hit distortion or are really playing it loud.

Save the $100, go buy some cables :)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I agree with Steve, save the money, get the FXi30's.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited November 2003
    Options
    My $0.02 says you would be VERY satisfied with the 30's. I am.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • PhantomOG
    edited November 2003
    Options
    ok, so it sounds like i should get the 30's. saving money is definitely a good thing.

it seems like we have very similar setups kberg. maybe someday when i move out of an apartment and into a house i'll consider getting an SVS. as it is now my cheap sub and 70's rattle the floors enough :)