Can I do this?

CPHILHOWER
CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
edited November 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am wondering if I can do this? I have a RockFord BD500 sub amp. Running 2 12" Dayton Loudspeaker DSQ 12.4 in parallel. 2 ohm. Was told that I could run a third in parallel as long as I used them all in a Sealed box. Currently using two in a seled box. Obcon is supposed to make a box that should fit in the back of my Escape.
Thanks
Chris
Post edited by CPHILHOWER on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited November 2003
    thatll put an 1.33 ohm load on that amp...BAD IDEA
    i love rockford fosgate...their amps are not made to be run under 2 ohms
    -Cody
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited November 2003
    One of the "Techs" at RF told me I could as long as I kept them in a sealed box. Something about the box design increasing the Ohm's. I would have to assume it is because the heat from the sub has nowhere to dissipate. Either that or the woofer becomes loaded.
    Chris
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited November 2003
    he told you the box design could change the ohm load?
    or did i misunderstand you
    hes full of s*** if he told you that
    i had a bd1000 running at 2 ohms and it overheated and **** the fan
    i would never put one at 1.33 and ill be the first one on this site to tell you that rockford fosgate is great...
    -Cody
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited November 2003
    i install plenty of rockfords and i can tell you they wont handle the load maybe 13 years ago they maybe would have but not now..
    kind of depressing that there are not a lot of new amps that can handle below 2ohms.. man when i first started in car audio it was all about how far you can get your amp to go...
    orion HCCA red's man what a heater that was...1/4 ohm stable alternator destroyer
    Lanzars 50 watt cheater amp that would do an easy 1500 watts..for $1500..
    any ways back to the present. you can still find the orions on ebay, thought about getting one again but dont think i want to give up the space or money to strap the load on one of those puppies:D
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited November 2003
    Yup, Lanzar's Opti 50c was rated at 25 watts X2 @ 4 ohms but would go down to 1/4 ohm stereo and 1/2 ohm mono stable putting out between 800-1000 watts. There is a shop about an hour from here that still has one of those amps... he wants $699 for it, and it's like 10 years old! Oh the glory days of the bad **** amps.
    "The Big C"
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2003
    run a rockford at 1.33 ohms and u'll be SOL buying a new amp in a day or two.

they're built to be 'clean', efficient, and small... and they do that. but not much else.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited November 2003
    Good thing I asked. Mayve I should look into a Tri-Sub box made by MTX. Three 6000 series wired 2 ohm.
    Thanks
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2003
    mtx tri boxes are wired at 4 ohms.... they're three 12 ohm thunder 6000's wired in parallel for 4 ohms.

if you did three 8 ohm or DVC 4 ohm 6k's you'd be at 2.66 ohms.
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited November 2003
    MTX does make a Tri-Sub box wired 2ohm.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2003
    what are they six ohm subs???
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited November 2003
    I saw the box on Crutchfields website. Not sure. Maybe 12ohm DVC?
    Chris
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited November 2003
    i know that they have the 4500's available in a 2 ohm config but to the best of my knowledge (and the mtx website) the 6000's are only 4 ohm config... possibably a crutchfield special, something that they pieced together themselves...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited November 2003
    I checked the website. Model # T610X3D. Three DVC 6000A wired 2 ohm.
    Chris
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited November 2003
    must be a crutchfield special, cause it doesn't exist according to the mtx website...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.