kicking SDA in the nuts

Options
13»

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2012
    Options
    This thread is like unearthing a "time capsule" because you can see what some members who are still here thought on the subject so long ago and also others who've been gone for years. In any case, it's very interesting.

And yes there have been strides in driver manufacture, but for those of us who are a bit older, the nostalgic sound of a Polk Monitor with a nice set of Peerless tweeters is, well, it's Peerless, and can "never" be duplicated by modern designs which "resolve" so much more that they destroy the memories of the "original". The moment we first heard "good" sound!

There is a place and time for all kinds of sound. Some still even play 78s and the tech there is "ancient"!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Don't get me wrong - SDAs are by no means a bad speaker... quite the opposite

My point being is if you were to plunk those speakers down beside someone using drivers that are in the upper end of the spectrum they would lose out in detail, transparency and so forth - the SDA may still win out in staging, slam, presence, etc...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2012
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

My point being is if you were to plunk those speakers down beside someone using drivers that are in the upper end of the spectrum they would lose out in detail, transparency and so forth - the SDA may still win out in staging, slam, presence, etc...

I completely understand that and do agree.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    NO!!!!!!

Another 12 year old post!!!!

Please stop. I start reading and then I see names that haven't been here in years and I fall for it again. Reading old crap from stupid people.

You're just as guilty and worse IMO at reviving old threads. :razz:
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Nice thread revival. Some real OG's there.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • mjmcg2
    Options
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,093
    edited December 2019
    Options

And now he does mega-high end crossovers for these very same speakers. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited December 2019
    Options

And now he does mega-high end crossovers for these very same speakers. :p

And @VR3's "mega-high end crossovers" clean up a lot of that "muddled" midrange to which many of the old posts in this thread referred.
    I speak from experience with two of those mod'd crossovers from Trey.
    They're worth every penny that they cost. :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    SDA speakers bone stock, crossovers and tweeters are honestly pretty freaking awful.

I have heard my full blown abbott Mods on a set of SRS with the new RD0194... night and day difference.

That said, you cant compare a Seas Excel midrange to the MW series woofers or the tweeter to a beryllium tweeter, the SDA speakers will never have the exact resolution of those drivers but still hard to beat the width, slam, etc
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.