I know nothing about them.

Thanks
Post edited by kidglove13 on

Comments

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited September 2012
    Options
    The R15 is a nice little entry level bookshelf speaker. I think the MSRP on them was about $109/pair and they usually sold new for about $80. If they are MINTY - and maybe if he's throwing in home delivery - they might be worth $50. Give them a good look (scratches/dents/dings/grille snags/missing grille pegs, etc.) and a good listen with a variety of music types and judge from there.
  • kidglove13
    kidglove13 Posts: 207
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I am thinking of ditching my Boston Acoustic CR7's that I use as my mains for my HT system.

How would these compare to the CR7's?

Would this be lateral move instead of an upgrade?
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Dskip is right. I picked up some Celestion DL6s for less than that. And a pair of 10" two way EPI 120Cs for just around there! Both blow the lower end Polk away. Not that that speaker is bad, but it's an entry level Polk!

Be patient and keep looking!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • kidglove13
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I am getting to refurb/clean up a pair of monitor 7's

To bad they are to big to put on a shelf.

What about the Advent Baby II?
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Get a bigger shelf! Those Monitor 7s are great speakers and are in a totally different class than the R15s, especially if you're considering them as HT mains - which they can perform beautifully as.
  • kidglove13
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I know I need a bigger shelf.

I would not mind picking up a pair of monitor 5's
  • kidglove13
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I have the space.

But I would lose a shelf on either side and major WAF would play a huge roll.

I really need to see if I can pull off the 7's
  • Monster Jam
    Monster Jam Posts: 919
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Love my R20s (very similar the the R15s) and they are/were a fantastic speaker for even their list price. BUT, the seller might take $40 for the set.
    Do you hear that buzzing noise? :confused:
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2012
    Options
    kidglove13 wrote: »
    I have the space.

But I would lose a shelf on either side and major WAF would play a huge roll.

I really need to see if I can pull off the 7's

I hear you! Yeah, Monitor 7s in that space? I don't know, really too big to get WAF on bookshelves like that. And I'm not sure they'd sound their "best" in there. You could do some Monitor 5jr. on their sides and not lose much space or be that noticeable? Not perfect placement, but I've run larger Monitor 5As on top of a bookshelf on their sides and it was OK. I know I'm suggesting unorthodox placement here because Monitors were designed to be upright.

How about some Rti-4s or 6s. There are some pretty good sales people have gotten on these of late!

I use two Rti-4s and an 8" 100 watt sub with an Onkyo 604 in my bedroom. Sounds fine! Have the Rtis on top of the entertainment center!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • edwardm10
    edwardm10 Posts: 104
    edited September 2012
    Options
    The R15 is a nice little speaker for the money. 50 bucks is fair if they're clean
  • so_ein_pech
    so_ein_pech Posts: 42
    edited October 2012
    Options
    edwardm10 wrote: »
    The R15 is a nice little speaker for the money. 50 bucks is fair if they're clean

No, no it isn't.

$50 buys you way more on the used speaker market than a pair of R15's. I think I paid $50 for mine new (on sale) at CC. If you are looking for something that size, and price range, look for some old boston a40's or hd7's.
  • Monster Jam
    Monster Jam Posts: 919
    edited October 2012
    Options
    No, no it isn't.

$50 buys you way more on the used speaker market than a pair of R15's. I think I paid $50 for mine new (on sale) at CC. If you are looking for something that size, and price range, look for some old boston a40's or hd7's.

Yes, yes they are.

Speakers preferences are very personal. I'd choose Polk over Boston everyday. In fairness, the OP asked a loaded question: whether a particular speaker was "any good".
    Do you hear that buzzing noise? :confused: