R.I.P. Squeezebox

Face
Face Posts: 14,340
edited September 2012 in Going Digital
For those who haven't heard yet, Logitech has removed all Squeezebox products from their website. Unless they plan on revamping the line, it appears Sonos may be the only alternative.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
Post edited by Face on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited August 2012
    Hard to believe with such a popular product. Question is, how long will they support the software ? Hopefully it won't mean those who just bought one will be sh$t out of luck in the near future.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited August 2012
    **** bells. I just bought one. :(
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited August 2012
    I think this all is a little premature. Let's see what shakes out before going all doomsday. :wink:

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    edited August 2012
    Party pooper ^^^^^^^^^^ :cheesygrin::cheesygrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    edited August 2012
    More like I'm denial (not the river in Egypt). :cry:

If this is true, as it appears, I'll cross that bridge when it happens. Even if they never update the SQB software, it can still be used with the products.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited August 2012
    tonyb wrote: »
    Party pooper ^^^^^^^^^^ :cheesygrin::cheesygrin:

Bu that's why we invited him!:cheesygrin:
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited August 2012
    There has been rumors floating around for quite awhile about the SQB going away/coming to an end. No big deal, there's plenty of other choices out there now, and it will only increase with time.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2012
    oops duplicate post
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    Looks like they're rebranding the Squeezebox Radio as an Ultimate Ears product. Which I suppose is good because they really ought to be making the legacy Squeezebox Radio compatible with whatever plans they have. I can't see them writing a whole new back end for it, as SqueezeCenter works perfectly fine with it. I'm fairly certain that as a percent of Squeezebox sales, the Radio was doing far better than the Touch or certainly than the Transporter. If so, they'd have to really be out to screw people over if they make the current hardware incompatible with forthcoming versions of UECenter, or whatever they'll rebrand it to. Even so, 99% of what I do with squeezebox is to play my local library, and there's no reason I can't continue happily doing that regardless of Logicrap's plans.

Look familiar?? :

http://ue.logitech.com/en-us/smart-radios
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited August 2012
    What would be the disadvantage to scoring one now? Are they faily stable software wise? And what is similar alternative in a stand alone device? I was very near buying one to try with the DAC.
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    If your intent is to stream your local music library, then there is little risk in purchasing a Squeezebox Touch now. However, the Touch is also able to connect to music services, i.e. Rhapsody, Spotify, etc. It's unknown if support for such services would continue. So the risk would be if you are looking for a good front end for such online services, interfaces into these services change without the needed fixes from Logitech. In my case, I do a bit of online streaming with the Radio, but not really any of the music services, I just listen to internet radio stations. I'm cautiously optimistic that the legacy Squeezebox Radio will continue to be compatible with whatever Logicrap's going to do, given how similar it is to their "new" product. If my Touch can no longer stream Rhapsody, it's no skin off my back. As long as it can still stream my flacs, that's all I care about it being able to do.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited August 2012
    I love the two that I have and use them every day. But, they are becoming redundant with so many cheaper laptop/tablet and smart phone options available for the way most people would use one. Seems a lot of people are using a tablet or smart phone to control the Squeezebox already anyway. It makes more sense to me to have an all in one unit like a radio for the mass market, and I wish Polk would develop something like that.

I may buy another Squeezebox or two before they really are killed off (if they are doing that). I checked Amazon and the price still seems to be the same as before. They are very stable with the J River FLAC setup I'm using. It wasn't as stable with iTunes tagging, which may be another reason Logitech might be killing it.
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    If you look at the video in the link I posted, it would appear to me that this UE Radio is literally the Squeezebox Radio rebadged as UE. Watching the video of them controlling it, the interface appears to be identical. Given that, I fail to see any reason why they would launch a new software back-end for it, they'll probably just rename it UECenter instead of SqueezeCenter, or something cunning like that. I would think they'd need to be maliciously motivated in order to take that software platform and remove the compatibility with the other legacy Squeezebox devices.
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I may buy another Squeezebox or two before they really are killed off (if they are doing that).

I've got six. I'm done:biggrin:
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    edited August 2012
    if you read the logitech forum posts from my OP in the other post a current employee goes over the new system a little. They're more than just rebadged they are completely taking LMS out of the loop. you can still stream from your local library, but it won't be compatible with the current LMS that everyone has. they are putting they are essentially putting the server functions in the cloud. which means it sounds like you might not need to have anything running on a PC, however you also won't be able to have functions such as randomize. They also aren't going to put out a comparable to SB touch version in the near future it seems.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited August 2012
    nspindel wrote: »
    I've got six. I'm done:biggrin:

They seem to be selling on Amazon pretty well today. Looks like 5 gone in the last hour, with 12 left. Of course, there are other marketplace sellers.
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    You might see them start to shoot up in value once current inventory sells off. When google bought SageTV and closed down sales of the extenders, the price shot up on eBay.
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2012
    FOR SALE: Squeezebox Touch, minty fresh, $28,735.13 shipped.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    edited August 2012
    I'm safe!!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    steveinaz wrote: »
    FOR SALE: Squeezebox Touch, minty fresh, $28,735.13 shipped.

Steve after all that time we spent helping you get that thing set up, you'd better be cutting us in on the deal!
  • heiney9
    edited August 2012
    Here is a lengthy but informative thread about what's happening.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?96188-New-Squeezebox-Radio

H9
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited August 2012
    I was considering jumping on board ,might still if there is a mass exodus and users start dumping them for reasonable prices.
  • heiney9
    edited August 2012
    Looks like LMS support will be continued for the near future say 2-4 years according to the thread I posted.

H9
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2012
    You notice my CEC transport has never been offered for sale. Now you know why.
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited August 2012
    I guess it's time to start the Vintage Squeezebox forum.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited August 2012
    Noooooooooooo! I love my Squeezebox! What are they thinking?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • ruckus1027
    ruckus1027 Posts: 61
    edited August 2012
    Okay, so I read this thread and went over the slimdevices thread. I am very new to these, so pardon my ignorance. Anyways I am planning to use my laptop as a data source. I was thinking a Squeezebox classic or the hrt streamer 2 usb dac. They're in the price range I am willing to spend. I am mainly going to be using it to play flac files and pandora through the laptop.

I was more leaning towards the Squeezebox classic, however, with this recent news should I just opt for the HRT 2? The more I hear about the phasing out of the SB, I'm starting to lean towards the HRT 2.

PS any other possible solutions I may have in this price range and quality? Thanks guys.
    Humble System

Denon AVR 3805: RTA-8T Main (powered by an Adcom GFA 555 MK1), CSi20 Center (Adcom GFA 2535 Bridged Side), Monitor 4.6 Surrounds (Adcom GFA 2535), Velodyne VA-79XII Sub

Playstation 3 & Denon DCD-1100

Music in Motion: Monoprice 8320 & Fischer Audio Silver Bullet IEMs matched to a Sansa Clip Zip

SDS-400, MiniMonitor II, Mini Advent are awaiting further orders.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited August 2012
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Looks like LMS support will be continued for the near future say 2-4 years according to the thread I posted.

H9
    Whether it's supported by Logitech, or not, is probably of of little consequence, since it's open source software. No doubt the open source community will keep it going.
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited August 2012
    Why do I always buy into products that are discontinued or decommissioned after a years time... Can't help but feel a little angry.
  • tonyb
    edited August 2012
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Whether it's supported by Logitech, or not, is probably of of little consequence, since it's open source software. No doubt the open source community will keep it going.

True to an extent, but some things still won't work and who wants a product thats suddenly limited ? Something else will come along to take it's place and just watch how many jump ship.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's