Logitech is finally killing the Squeezebox slowly but surely.

coolsax
coolsax Posts: 1,824
edited August 2012 in Going Digital
looks like one of the best music streamers on the market is getting the ole' screwjob. so I guess get them while you can, b/c the SB is no longer going to be what it was. They don't understand what they have and what to do with it, if you believe the current and former employees posting in the following forum.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?96188-New-Squeezebox-Radio
Main 2ch -
BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
Post edited by coolsax on

Comments

• coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    edited August 2012
    if you google search squeezebox and go the link that should talk about squeezebox it now brings up their new rebranded and dumbed down product.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited August 2012
    Not really surprised at all. The Duet concept was cool - buy a receiver and a controller and then add more zones by buying additional receivers. Then the apps came out and killed the market for the controllers. Then they stopped selling the receiver separately, probably as a way to get rid of all the controllers they still had... If you read some history on Logitech, it seems they've been a flaky company for long time. Many fans of the original Slim Devices lamented the day that Logitech purchased that company.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited August 2012
    Kinda wondering if the digital music server market is getting all too competitive these days. Lots of ways to get music off the 'puter and onto your home stereo. Thats not to say the SB is still a top notch product, so why screw with a good thing ? In my twisted mind, a dumbed down product is a way to cut costs, or they are looking to sell the brand off.

Sonos too has discontinued their really nice controller in favor for the free app. When given the choice of a 375 buck controller or a free app, most like the "free" idea better. I like the controller, call me nuts.

I would imagine the day a HT receiver incorporates a music server on the same level as a SB/Sonos unit isn't too far off, given the compact size of these units. Receivers are always looking for those bells and whistles to add on to draw a percentage of the market or stand out above the rest. Thing with that is, you still have to keep a certain price point in a receiver so I'm sure something else will suffer.

Also keep in mind that any software based product is just leased. If the company kills the software, the hardware becomes useless, most the time anyway. Makes you wonder about the life cycle of such products. Once a SB/Sonos unit is sold, thats about it for the profit realized by the company. No additional hardware to buy from them, no costs for upgraded software, and the products can last years. You have to keep selling alot of units to turn a profit. Kinda reminds me of kitchen appliances, you know that old fridge that lasted 30 years with no repairs needed. They couldn't make money after awhile so they made them cheaper, broke down easier, which means you had to buy a newer one sooner. Wonder if something newer is on the horizon to make these small music servers obsolete ? Time will tell, who knows, could be alot to do about nothing. In the end, you can't control the outcome so just enjoy the tunes.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    edited August 2012
    tonyb wrote: »
    Kinda wondering if the digital music server market is getting all too competitive these days. Lots of ways to get music off the 'puter and onto your home stereo.

Maybe so, I know my Yamaha has the capability of streaming Flac and this kinda cuts out the middle man (SBT). I guess the only advantage to the SB or Sono is that you can add a better DAC but I hear it really wouldn't make a big difference if you're running an AVR. So if more and more AVR's come out with this capability it will cut out the middle man.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited August 2012
    Let's not forget that just because a device (like a receiver) has the ability to stream doesn't mean it will still deliver the same sound quality as something like the SBT. There are infinite levels of streaming and associated audio quality on the hardware end.

Not saying it won't be as good, just pointing out there are some variables and adding streaming to a receiver doesn't automatically make it as good as a stand alone.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2012
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Let's not forget that just because a device (like a receiver) has the ability to stream doesn't mean it will still deliver the same sound quality as something like the SBT.

You are absolutely right. However, I think that point is moot in the eyes of a company like Logitech. A company that sells a $15 mouse is not interested in servicing the audiophile market. They are not interested in sound quality, only mass marketability.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Many fans of the original Slim Devices lamented the day that Logitech purchased that company.

I'm an owner of a SlimDevices-branded Squeezebox 3. You can bet your bottom dollar on that!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    edited August 2012
    nspindel wrote: »
    You are absolutely right. However, I think that point is moot in the eyes of a company like Logitech. A company that sells a $15 mouse is not interested in servicing the audiophile market. They are not interested in sound quality, only mass marketability.

That's my point exactly. The more the masses have the ability to buy an AVR to stream there audio files the more a SB or other middle man device will lose sales. Sad but true!
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited August 2012
    Actually in this age of technology and rapid change the Squeezbox has had a very long lifecycle. The original Slim Devices Squeezbox (SLIMP3) had to come out in about 2001 or so?

A 11 year life cycle is a good run for something that was basically unchanged, but sad to see it end w/o a compatible device being offered.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    Looks like I picked the right time to get back into vinyl!!!
  • tonyb
    edited August 2012
    gce wrote: »
    Maybe so, I know my Yamaha has the capability of streaming Flac and this kinda cuts out the middle man (SBT). I guess the only advantage to the SB or Sono is that you can add a better DAC but I hear it really wouldn't make a big difference if you're running an AVR. So if more and more AVR's come out with this capability it will cut out the middle man.

I dunno man, dacs make a huge improvement over a standard HT receiver, not to mention a pre amp, amp, dac, digital server scenario. Receivers can't do multi room either, play different songs in each room or group them as you see fit. The nice things about these slick SB/Sonos units is the software, which receivers still lack. It would be a nasty headache to configure every step instead of having a software program do it all for you. Don't under estimate ease of use and setup, the general public is still fairly dumbed down when it comes to digital anything.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited August 2012
    Looks like I picked the right time to get back into vinyl!!!

Looks like you picked a fine time to stop smoking crack too.:cheesygrin:

Joking of course....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited August 2012
    I'm an owner of a SlimDevices-branded Squeezebox 3. You can bet your bottom dollar on that!
    Oh yeah, well I gots one, too, and you ain't getting it back!! :razz:
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    Where'd ya get that? :cheesygrin:
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited August 2012
    I think the "writing on the wall" is that the modern day tuner is going to be a digital file server, internet radio, satelite radio, and lastly but lowly over-the-air broadcast tuner. I've been pretty impressed with Marantz latest music server, and I'm sure that over the next few years we are going to see rapid enhancements in this segment. You'all figure it out while I pop a CD into my player and enjoy some tunes!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    dkg999 wrote: »
    You'all figure it out while I pop a CD into my player and enjoy some tunes!

Right on. My copy of Mobile Fidelity Abbey Road vinyl, Japanese pressing, that I won on eBay showed up today. I'm going to go drop the needle....
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited August 2012
    tonyb wrote: »
    looks like you picked a fine time to stop smoking crack too.:cheesygrin:

Joking of course....

rotflmao!
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • tonyb
    edited August 2012
    Where'd ya get that? :cheesygrin:

Sorry pal, couldn't resist. Remember the movie "Airplane" ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    Of course. And stop calling me Shirley.

Not to worry, I got the joke :biggrin: I know you like looking at grown men, naked......
  • tonyb
    edited August 2012
    :cheesygrin:
    Of course. And stop calling me Shirley.

Not to worry, I got the joke :biggrin: I know you like looking at grown men, naked......

Shhhh......damn you !! :cheesygrin::cheesygrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's