Polk gnx 104

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited November 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
ok i got 2 10inch polk gnx woofers hooked to a 350 watt kenwood amp.it pushes 60x2 at 4ohm.and i was lookin on crutchfield at alpine amps and there is a alpine v12 that puts out 110x2 at 4 ohm and 170x2 at 2 ohm.the woofers recomeded power is 175.its a 4ohm woofer but if i wire them together there 2 ohm so i was thinkin of wirein them so there 2 ohm and have 170 watts goin to em??is that a good idea or should i get a amp that puts 170x2 at 4 ohm??i got a alpine indash and i love it so thats why i want a alpine amp.thanks for the help
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Actually no, if you wire the subs together in parallel, you'll get a 2 ohm MONO load. The Alpine amp you're talking about is a 2 ohm STEREO load. That amp won't work. In fact, most two channel amps won't work for a pair of 4 ohm subs, unless for some reason you wanna run the amp at 4 ohm stereo. If you really want a V-12 amp, look at the MRD-300 or the MRD-500 monoblock amps. They will do a 2 ohm mono load which is what you need for maximum output from the amp. The 300 will give you 150 watts+ for the each sub while the 500 will give you 250+ each. You'd probably be better off with the 500. I'm not sure how well these subs take the power, but I'm sure you'd be well suited with the MRD-500.

Pretty much no matter what you get you'd want to get a class D monoblock amp to get the 2 ohm load.
    "The Big C"
  • Systems
    edited November 2003
    Options
    thx for the help
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • DREW-P
    DREW-P Posts: 3
    edited November 2003
    Options
    THE TENS HAVE THE SAME SPECS AS THE 12'S DO...THAT BEING SAID I HAVE 2 PLKGNX124 SVC'S AND THE ROCKFORD FOSGATE 351M IS A PERFECT MATCH.....YOU CAN GET IT OFF OF ETRONICS.COM FOR 139....AND IF YOU WANT AN AUTHORIZED DEALER SOUNDDOMAIN.COM MATCHES PRICES IN MOST CASES....IF THEY HAVE IT
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited November 2003
    Options
    YOU DON'T NEED TO YELL

shhhhhhhh......
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Systems
    edited November 2003
    Options
    yea its a perfect match for 1 sub i got 2.is there anyway you could wire 2 subs that are 4ohm and keep em 4 ohm????
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Sure, add 2 more 4 ohm subs. You can't wire two 4 ohm subs to equal 4 ohms mono, it will either be 2 or 8 ohms.
    "The Big C"
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited November 2003
    Options
    that or get a sepate amp for each sub...thats what i have...2 2 channel rockfords...1 for each mm12
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited November 2003
    Options
    so if i buy 2 more 4ohm subs i could hook all 4 up to the rockford 351m amp and it would power 4 4ohm subs and still sound good??
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2003
    Options
    startzy - u got it bassasswards...

the Rockford 351M does like 175 x 1 at 4 ohms, and 350 x 1 at 2 ohms.

the two subs you have wired in parallel, will be a 2 ohm load.

thus, you'll get 350 x 1 to that load, each sub will get half of that 350 (350 / 2 = 175) ... which is 175 a sub... thats what you want.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited November 2003
    Options
    ah cool i finnaly understand.thx for all the help guys.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing