My GXR6 keeps going out

Shadyimperial
Shadyimperial Posts: 3
edited November 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok, about a month and a half ago i installed all new speakers in my car. I had the stock head unit in , every thing was working great, tehy sounded awsome. Then i installed a used sony head unit. well about a week ago my front drivers side speaker went out. well i listened to all the speaker seperately and it turns out that it didnt go out, the wofer of the speaker stopped. :confused: The tweeter was still going putting out highs but the woofer stopped. Since it first hapened, it keeps going in and out. When it IS playing, ceartain freqencies hit at medium levels and there is a kind of knocking/ popping sound. Its very annoying and I'd REALLY like for it to stop. today i even took the speker out to see if it was blown, then I tried my old stock speaker, just to see if it was the head unit, and it was only the speaker that had the problem. Whats wrong? I can not think of anything else, my passenger side front GXR6 works flawlessly and they have the same power load. I do not have the slightest idea whats wrong.
Post edited by Shadyimperial on

Comments

• MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited November 2003
    first problem... you bought a sony...

it may be your xover...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2003
    Could it be a moisture problem? I have 4 EX365s in my car and one of them has a similar problem like yours. After many many hours of debugging (and head scratching), I suspect it is moisture that causes internal short-circuit in the coil.

After many incidents, I found that rainy days and the day after a car wash were the worst days. When the problem happens, wait for the sunny days. After a day or two (sometimes just half a day), the speaker would start working again, like nothing ever happened. Well, until the next car wash, that is.

I don't know if this is just coincident, or if your speaker has excatly the same problem. Anyway, I am in the process of warranty exchange.

Originally posted by Shadyimperial
    Ok, about a month and a half ago i installed all new speakers in my car. I had the stock head unit in , every thing was working great, tehy sounded awsome. Then i installed a used sony head unit. well about a week ago my front drivers side speaker went out. well i listened to all the speaker seperately and it turns out that it didnt go out, the wofer of the speaker stopped. :confused: The tweeter was still going putting out highs but the woofer stopped. Since it first hapened, it keeps going in and out. When it IS playing, ceartain freqencies hit at medium levels and there is a kind of knocking/ popping sound. Its very annoying and I'd REALLY like for it to stop. today i even took the speker out to see if it was blown, then I tried my old stock speaker, just to see if it was the head unit, and it was only the speaker that had the problem. Whats wrong? I can not think of anything else, my passenger side front GXR6 works flawlessly and they have the same power load. I do not have the slightest idea whats wrong.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Shadyimperial
    Shadyimperial Posts: 3
    edited November 2003
    yeah, i have noticed that in the morning when there is alot of condensation in the car it doesn't play at all, but later in teh day, if it has warmed up any, it goes in and out. that may very well be the problem, moisture. well, that sucks cause winter is coming up and there arent many sunny days. :rolleyes: do you know if is a manufaturing flaw, or is it just an unfortunate problem among the unlucky?
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2003
    what kind of car do you drive?
    -Cody
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing