Suggestions on a new amp...?

Fr3ak
Fr3ak Posts: 5
edited December 2001 in Car Audio & Electronics
I currently have two MM100's and I am going to get a new amp for them. Here are my two options that I've looked at...

1) MTX Thunder6500D Mono-Block Class D
Specifications
Power 12.5 VDC Input
2 Ohm Load 500 w x 1 Low Level
4 Ohm Load 250 w x 1 Hi Level w/ Smart
Crossover(s)
Power 14.4 VDC Low Pass 40Hz-200Hz -
2 Ohm Load 775 w x 1 Variable
4 Ohm Load 450 w x 1 RCA Output
Low Pass Only

2)MTX Thunder81000D Mono-Block Class D
Specifications
Power 12.5 VDC Input
2 Ohm Load 1000 w x 1 Low Level
4 Ohm Load 500 w x 1
Crossover(s)
Power 14.4 VDC Low Pass 40Hz-200Hz -
2 Ohm Load 1500 w x 1 Variable
4 Ohm Load 850 w x1 RCA Output
Low Pass Only

I would like to go with option #1, because I would be spending less money (always a factor). Will #1 suffice? If the speakers are underpowered, can they be damaged? What are the advantages or disadvantages? I would like to stay with MTX, because I've always had good experiences with them. If someone has a great reason to get a totally different amp, please post. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Tyler
Post edited by Fr3ak on

Comments

• blu_viper
    blu_viper Posts: 18
    edited December 2001
    I agree with kim he has helped me out quite a bit before the problem with getting the smaller amp is that if you have it turned up full blast than you will be sending distortion to your subs and could very well blow them even though the amp can't power them all the way, the only problem with the bigger amp is that you won't be able to turn it up full blast even though i know you want to. I've got a pair of momo120's hooked up to a RF bd1500.1 amp and its sounds absolutely great. If i were you i would go with the larger mtx amp or check out other brands! try out rockford fosgate,u.s. acustics, and kicker