Roku, picked one up last night.. Cool

Options
onebadchad
onebadchad Posts: 364
edited October 2012 in Electronics
Kids wanted the wii back to play games so I went down to target an paid 49 bucks and got the roku HD so I could watch my netflix.. gotta say 50 bucks well spent. all kinds of free stations, I really dont even need the netflix now, and love the Pandora, streaming Free music commercial free all day long, and actually sounds pretty good. If you dont have or arent familiar with the streaming servers, pretty damn cool for $50 I give this one 2 thumbs up.
Hello Kitty am/fm CD player
Post edited by onebadchad on

Comments

• B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I've got one as well so I can get netflix in the bedroom, they're great! Can't beat it, especially for the price.
  • Glowrdr
    Glowrdr Posts: 1,103
    edited August 2012
    Options
    If you have Dish Network, you can call them up and get one for free FYI. They are offering them, along with a $10 credit for 12 months to offset losing AMC (figuring you can just order your show through Amazon)
    65" Sony X900 (XBR-65X900E)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"
  • mesquitehead
    mesquitehead Posts: 312
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Now get Amazon prime (cheaper than netflix and there are other benefits) for like $75 a year and they have lots of free movies and you can rent new releases too, plus free 2 day shipping on orders or 4.99 next day shiping! We love our Roku and have the HT set up all wireless through a wireless bridge, even the PS3 allows me to see all the videos and pics from my PC. Good choice.
    "Thats great... but how does it sound"
    http://www.burginmcdaniel.com/

http://mixonline.com/gear/reviews/audio_burgin_mcdaniel_komit/

Yamaha RX-A820 (networked with wireless bridge), Carver M-1.0t, Carver TFM-35, Carver C-1, Polk SDA1c's (x2 pair), Polk RTA 8tl's, Polk RTA 11tl's, Polk Monitor 5, Polk CS 400, Polk PSW 650, Rega Planar 3, Sony DVPNC555ES SACD/DVD, Panny 65" Plasma, Roku

2007 Tundra 5.7 TRD DC
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Polk SR6500
    SI BM 12" subs
    Zed Gladius
    Zed Deuce
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I picked up a Roku 2 XS back before Christmas when Roku was selling them for about $80. Nice thing about that model is the bluetooth remote so you don't need line of sight to control the box.

I hooked it up wirelessly at first but there was some buffering but have since wired it and increased my cable internet speed from 15mps to 30mps. No more buffering and great picture and sound, especially on HBO GO.

There are hundreds of free channels in the channel "store" and there are private channels you can add on your own with the right code. Lots of info on the web on them. The majority of the channels you won't care about but there is something for pretty much everyone. Internet radio channels, movie channels, old TV, documentaries, sports, anime, religion, comic books, cooking, hunting, etc.
  • onebadchad
    onebadchad Posts: 364
    edited August 2012
    Options
    There is a android remote download for your phone, you can control the roku from anywhere the wi-fi reaches, I use it all of the house listening to Pandora, I have downloaded all kinds of the private staions also, way cool..
    Hello Kitty am/fm CD player
  • dcmeigs
    dcmeigs Posts: 707
    edited September 2012
    Options
    That sounds cool

I wish someone would develop an iPad or iPhone app that would allow us to that (control Pandora and Shout Cast without having a TV connected). I'd use one as a source in my living room (no tv there). There are apps that do this for Netflix but I haven't seen one for the others. HAS ANYONE SEEN ONE?

Love the roku though. I'm listing to KCRW on shout cast now. Best money spent lately.
    The world is full of answers, some are right and some are wrong. - Neil Young
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited September 2012
    Options
    My wife bought one for herself from me for her birthday. She's liking it so far and I like it because its got a iphone app cause I dont like the remote that much.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • unclebiskabobka
    unclebiskabobka Posts: 109
    edited September 2012
    Options
    We've been using one for about a year now, it's a great little product!
    TV - LG 42" LED
    Receiver - Pioneer VSX-521
    Front speakers - Polk Monitor 40's Series II
    Center - Polk Monitor CS1 Series II
    Surround - Polk Audio OWM3
    Subwoofer - JBL L8400P

"I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me-like food or water."

~Ray Charles~
  • mister pig
    mister pig Posts: 28
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Been looking at the Roku 2, the 1080P version. Anyone bought one and have an opinion of picture quality?

Regards
    Mister Pig
  • MADGSF
    MADGSF Posts: 603
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I recently added a Roku 2 XS to my system. I wanted a wired Ethernet port for an option even though I am currently using a wireless (g) connection. The picture quality on the free stuff I have tried was good to me. I would rate it about even with standard definition DVD quality. I don't have streaming on my Netflix account so can't comment there.

I also use it for my Pandora account and it works well there too. If it matters I am using an Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI cable connected to my AVR, all my HDMI cables are the same type. I was skeptical of wireless which is why I got the one with a wired port but am happy with wireless so if you have a good wireless network you should be good to go.
    AVR: Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amplifier: B&K 7250 Series ii
    Misc: Velodyne SMS-1
    Mains: RTi-10
    Center: CSi-5
    Rear: Boston DSi460
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
    TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
    DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD60K
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited September 2012
    Options
    One thing that I noticed about Pandora.Yes it's free but they only play about 5-8 songs before shutting down and then ask you if
    you still want to listen.W/ most i-net stations it is really all day long and some w/ commercials and others none.
    On a more personal note,how do you afford/collect so much gear and where do you store it all.I've seen most of your posts and
    invariably it's about getting another piece of gear.All power to ya and yes I'm jealous. OBC
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • MADGSF
    MADGSF Posts: 603
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I have the Pandora subscription, 36.00 a year, and it does not prompt me to keep playing.
    AVR: Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amplifier: B&K 7250 Series ii
    Misc: Velodyne SMS-1
    Mains: RTi-10
    Center: CSi-5
    Rear: Boston DSi460
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
    TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
    DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD60K