Bridging PA D5000.1 with MM6501's?

Options
PhiDeltBeers
PhiDeltBeers Posts: 12
edited August 2012 in Car Audio & Electronics
I decided to send a bit more power to my MM6501's by bridging the PA D5000.1 amp. It now puts the amp at 200w @ 4ohms as opposed to 100w @ 2ohms or 75w @ 4ohms. Are the speakers too much load on the amp @ 2.7 ohms? I have the gain at about 25% and man it sounds SO much better than my attempt to run the MM6501's active. Running that much more power, I can move the gain down, get rid of hiss, and and it's much louder. I just don't want to "fry" the amp. It does feel warmer than before. Thoughts? Are these speakers too much load for this amp to run them bridged?
Post edited by PhiDeltBeers on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2012
    Options
    It should be fine. If it was too much, the amp would go into protect. Have you tried biamping? Run the tweeters off the front channels and the mids off the rear. This will let you tune the tweeters output independently of the mids and will give you the flexibility to get better sound quality.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PhiDeltBeers
    PhiDeltBeers Posts: 12
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I've had them biamped for months, just thought I'd try to change it up and run more power to them to turn the gain down to get rid of the unwanted hiss (I'm using an audio control Lc6i). If I turn the gains up too high I get hiss and not enough volume. You told me back then I'd have to run A LOT more power to rid this problem, so I changed it this afternoon. I'm running them full range right now off the amp and they sound pretty darn good. I'd rather run them active and get an Alpine PXA-H800 dsp, but I think I'd have to buy a more powerful amp to get what I want. Now I'm not sure if that dsp would do much good running them passive. I'm open to suggestions on this as well.

I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't ruin the amp by bridging it to 4ohms on a 2.7 ohm load. I figured the protection would kick in before damage was done.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Well that 2.7 ohms isnt static. Itll fluctuate up and down as the speaker gets hot then cools and so on.

I get what youre saying now about the extra power. That hiss is a pain in the rear. In that case, youre on the right track as a pants load of power is whats called for to be able to get above the noise floor thats pretty high when youre running from speaker level inputs.

The processor would still help even running passive cause you could still use the time alignment and the L and R EQ so you could really dial in a pretty smooth image. You wouldnt be able to get your best potential out of it running passive but you could still improve it drastically.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D