What happened to Elemental Designs?

Options
B Run
B Run Posts: 1,888
edited September 2012 in Speakers
Does anyone know what happened to Elemental Designs? I can't get a hold of anyone under any extension, they shut down their forum and will not respond to emails? I feel terrible because I recommended their subs to a friend and he had to return it due to a faulty driver, and it arrived with the amp unplugged on top of that. He returned it and it's been over 3 weeks, no new sub, nobody will contact him about where his sub is or if he'll ever see it again. I've been waiting for the grill for my A5-350 for almost 2 months and cannot get a response but his sub is definitely my concern. Does anyone know where those guys went? As always any help is appreciated.
Post edited by B Run on

Comments

• tommyt21
    tommyt21 Posts: 685
    edited August 2012
    Options
    B Run looks like your not alone http://www.avsforum.com/t/1423667/resolving-issues-with-elemental-designs
    Also there Facebook page is filled with angry people.
    Living Room
    Fronts: RTi A7's
    Center: Csi A6 VR3 "Fortress Plus"
    Front Heights: Rti A1
    Surrounds: Rti A3
    Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4 Damn this is a good SUB
    Pioneer Pioneer Elite: SC-35-> Emotiva XPA-3
    TV: Lg LW6500 55" Passive 3D
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

Acoustimac red suede panels
  • tommyt21
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Living Room
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

• tommyt21
    edited August 2012
    Options
    B Run some members also stated that their Credit Cards had suspisious activity after the purchase transaction, you and your friend may want to keep an eye on your accounts...Just a FYI
    Living Room
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

• B Run
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Well that's interesting since my identity got stolen about a week and a half ago, getting random charges on a card I only use for big purchases (i.e. an $800 subwoofer) and I had to close it out and file a fraud claim with my bank. Man I really feel bad for my friend they have his sub and he stretched his budget because I told him it'd be worth it. Thanks for the links.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,073
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Wow....

Thats crazy
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    edited August 2012
    Options
    wow man that sucks..
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • B Run
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Yeah i'm only out a grill and apparently a warranty which with everything i've been reading i'll probably end up needing in the future. I Just hope they make things right for him. As far as the credit card thing i'm not pointing fingers or blaming with no evidence, but it is very suspicious that it was a card i NEVER use and happened to have put that sub on.
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Looks like ED was falling hard and took the money and ran.

I was looking at a 18" driver and magically it disappeared off their site.
  • VTO888
    VTO888 Posts: 72
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Wow unfortunately I came across this thread. I'm glad I did though. I was really thinking about buying a sub from them. I was even going to run out to Iowa for a demo. I guess my gut was telling me not to do it. Guess Ill go back to thinking SVS, or Epik. Sorry for you and your friends troubles. I know the feeling good luck
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,542
    edited August 2012
    Options
    VTO888 wrote: »
    Wow unfortunately I came across this thread. I'm glad I did though. I was really thinking about buying a sub from them. I was even going to run out to Iowa for a demo. I guess my gut was telling me not to do it. Guess Ill go back to thinking SVS, or Epik. Sorry for you and your friends troubles. I know the feeling good luck

Another good company is Chase Home Theater. I want me 2 of their passive 18" subs to run with whatever I want :smile:. They have some really good stuff!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • B Run
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I LOVE my A5-350 but in hindsight I wish I would have spent a little more and gone with either the Chase Home Theater, Epik or Hsu. I had an SVS pb12nsd before and it was a great sub, but couldn't compare to the ED for the price.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,045
    edited August 2012
    Options
    What a shame ED did this.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,574
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Wow, had no idea. Been a few years since I dealt with them but always had a good experience.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Thank goodness I've never recommended their subwoofers and told folks to stay away since their CS issues started a couple years ago. This has been the subject of discussions on at least 8 forums and has been going on for awhile. The original problem was simply getting products that were defective and the subsequent return process to get repairs.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • B Run
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I had no idea either until my friend said something, they always had good customer service and were helpful when I called. I just want my grill my wife loves the sub but hates how much it stands out without the grill on, don't suppose I'll be getting one anytime soon.
  • tommyt21
    edited August 2012
    Options
    B Run you should have your friend call his credit card company and report the purchase as fraud. He can use the fact that many have now filed official fraud complaints with the Iowa attorney general.
    Living Room
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

• tommyt21
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I hope this is not rubbing salt in any wound, however I feel a product is not valued by price alone. Quality and a good company that stands behind their product gets my pennies (why I own Polk). I researched long and hard about subs, originaly was going to get a Outlaw but went with HSU instead, both great companies from my research. I loved the price of ED subs, the reviews and the look (boy did they look mean!), but the bad amps and what seemed like poor customer service from owners posting on forums convinced me to pay the higher premium for HSU.
    Living Room
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2012
    Options
    B Run wrote: »
    I had no idea either until my friend said something, they always had good customer service and were helpful when I called. I just want my grill my wife loves the sub but hates how much it stands out without the grill on, don't suppose I'll be getting one anytime soon.

It's certainly not your fault BRun as you had no idea. I'd just try and help as much as you can and you'll have to leave it at that.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Wow terrible for your friend and Ed bro. ED used to have stand up products and good service. Sad to see this has happened to them. Hope you guys get it worked out Brun.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • B Run
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I definitely appreciate all the help. I just want to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else.
  • B Run
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Well here it is, they FINALLY put something up on their site. Really regret not going with another company :rolleyes:

"Official statement inside.
    I'm sure at this point most people are wondering what's going on at Elemental Designs. Phones haven't been answered, lack of email responses, promised items not shipping, and not a peep from us. Well, I'm here to let you know what's going on, right now.

You see, the company began to go into a very rapid downward spiral several months ago when a lot of criteria and standards were not being met. Even a lot of poor decisions were made. Our staff decreased in size very rapidly, leaving only a few to handle day to day operations. Stress levels sky-rocketed when our inventory was quickly depleted, RMA's piled up, and we failed to satisfy customer's orders.

The one person a lot of people spoke with was Alex. And Alex is, well, he's not here. I am. And I am here to try my absolute best to make good with as many people as possible within the short time frame that I have.

Before Alex left, however, he did write an open letter and I'll present you with that letter:

"Over the last six months we at Elemental Designs have been struggling due to a few key factors. You, our customers deserve the right to be aware of these issues.
    Under my leadership for the past two years Elemental Designs has lost a large share of its customer base in both the home and car audio markets. This is due to inefficiencies in large scale business management on my behalf. The mismanagement of in house production caused an increase in customer lead times while our goal was to decrease them. Key raw materials which go into almost all home audio products reached critical inventory levels due to inadequate reordering management. Without these raw products we did not have the availability to ship orders in the quoted time.

This mismanagement of inventory meant that we had a surplus of products that would only sell when heavily discounted and not enough inventory on the items customers demanded. This was a large issue with home audio amplifiers and raw drivers, causing long delays between order placement and shipping times. To fulfill orders quickly it required us to use vendors based in the US. The largest issue here became shrinking margins and order quantity decreasing over the past six months. To complicate things even more, we ran into many out of stock parts on components we did require. This lead to item stocking issues and with warranty replacement issues. Without the proper inventory levels, we relied on repairing faulty amplifiers instead of shipping out a new unit.
    All of this combined is what put us in the situation we are in today. We are putting the website in standby and are working on current individual open inquiries.
    Thanks.
    Alex Lindeman
    CEO
    Elemental Designs"

Because I cannot operate with such a large overhead with little inventory, and no staff, I have come to the conclusion that the doors at Elemental Designs will be closing by the end of Friday, August 31st, 2012.

?WHOA, WHAT! Where does that leave me!?? ? says a lot of people right about now. What DOES this mean for you? If you have an open issue with Elemental Designs, email me. ( mtower@elementaldesigns.com ) I will reply, and I will try to work with you in whatever situation you are in. I need to do a lot of information gathering over the next few days, and your input would help immensely.

This hasn?t been easy, and it probably won?t be easy for the next several months, but you better believe I?m going to try whatever is humanly possible to help in any way I can.

Thanks.
    - Matt Tower"
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,542
    edited September 2012
    Options
    B Run: Check your PM's for some info on something related to this....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,073
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Just.... wow
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • cr136124
    cr136124 Posts: 186
    edited September 2012
    Options
    @ B Run

I'm really sorry to hear all that. Hopefully, Matt (at ED) will be able to help you out with the issue that you have. Good luck man!
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,574
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Really sad to hear this. I enjoyed their drivers in DIY projects.

To fulfill orders quickly it required us to use vendors based in the US. The largest issue here became shrinking margins and order quantity decreasing over the past six months.

In a nut shell.....whats wrong everywhere today!
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.