iTunes Remote app

Options
EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
edited August 2012 in Going Digital
Does anyone know if you can use the Remote app for iTunes if your connecting to an ad-hoc network rather than a actual standard network?

I ask this because my thought is to add a wireless card to my stand alone media playback computer that will contain my entire iTunes library of music. I then create an ad-hoc network and use the Remote app to browse and control media playback in the place of a computer monitor. The PC will be running most of the time and if needed I can connect it quick to a monitor at work to start iTunes, but then can control all other playback features via my iPhone so I can see artist info, etc.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
Post edited by EndersShadow on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2012
    Options
    It works on a Mac, so it is at least possible. It may be more involved on a windows machine, but I'd think you'd be able to get it working.

I just tested on my MBA and it works fine.
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2012
    Options
    It works on a Mac, so it is at least possible. It may be more involved on a windows machine, but I'd think you'd be able to get it working.

I just tested on my MBA and it works fine.

Cool, it opens up some possibilities for me in regards to controlling this thing. Will do some additional research before purchasing the motherboard..
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nwohlford
    nwohlford Posts: 700
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I have used the remote app on an ad hoc network for both a Mac and pc. It works the same once setup, but I find the Macs are a lot easier to set up a stable ad hoc network with. (I never tried third party software on the pc to manage the ad hoc network and I am definitely no expert at networking.)
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Good to know. I am getting close to getting this computer together. Just ordered the case (went with the HTPC IXT-6) and picked up a used Audio GD NFB-5. Finalizing my motherboard selection and then will get this puppy rolling real quick!

I will be playing around with the computer at home for a bit to see how it works and hopefully dial in the networking part pretty quick.