How to hook up a powered sub

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I was curious on how to hook up my powered sub properly with my current configuration. I have yet to install everything, but i have a two channel amp, a sony head unit and a powered sub. Now my Q, i have on the back of my head unit an out for my front speakers and an out for my right speakers. I have 2 choices with the powered sub, i can run rca wires through it, or speaker wires. My thought was to run rca cables from the front output on the reciever to the amp, and the amp to my front speakers. Then hooking up rca cables to the rer speakers out on the reciever to the sub in. Then the speaker wire from the sub to my rear speakers. Im not sure if i should run it this way or if i should power the sub through my front speakers via speaker wire and not rca. any help is appreciated
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited October 2003
    Options
    run rca's to the amp and spilt them with a pair of Y connectors, then run a shorter length of patch cable (aka rca's) to the powered enclosure
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited October 2003
    Options
    My suggestion would be do as you said... run the rear out from the deck to the powered sub, then the front out to your amp for the front speakers. Now, I really don't understand how you could run speaker wire from the sub to the rear speakers because you said you could use the speaker wires from the head unit to hook up the powered sub.... wouldn't that mean the speaker wires on the sub would be an input? If their an input you can't run wire from them to the rears and get sound from the rears. Maybe I'm just not understanding what you meant.

But if that's the case, you could actually just run the two channel amp to all 4 of your speakers in a 2 ohm stereo load. That would basically defeat the "fill" sound from the rear and you'd lose your fader, but by doing that you'd get a lot more power to all 4 speakers in the car. Or just run the 2 channel to your front speakers and use the head unit speaker wire to run the rears. I don't really see why you'd run separate wire from the sub to the rear speakers.
    "The Big C"