What Polk Speaker is this?

kidglove13
kidglove13 Posts: 207
edited August 2012 in Vintage Speakers
What model are these?

I have a line on a set of old Polks from my neighbor.

He says that when they were hooked up they would get a little static at times but otherwise they are in pretty good shape.

And he only wants $10 for them.:biggrin:
polk speaker.jpg
Post edited by kidglove13 on

Comments

• kidglove13
    edited August 2012
    I think they are monitor 7's with what look like peerless tweeters?

Is this correct?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,645
    edited August 2012
    Monitor 7 family member - Peerless tweeter but no "super-Velcro" grille fasteners; I'd guess a later Monitor 7A (or an early 7B?).
    Here's one of my 7As (earlier model, bought as demos in 1978) for comparison.

Polkmonitor7Asn4900.jpg
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited August 2012
    Go wake him up and get those. Clean the fuse holder and the static may go away.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited August 2012
    each tweeter is worth 25-30. Sound great go buy them now or kick yourself indefinately.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• kidglove13
    edited August 2012
    The whole thing is funny, he was at my house the other day and saw my SDA's and said that he had an old pair of Polks he would sell me for next to nothing.

He obviously does not know what he has, ignorance is bliss, for me that is.

Called him on his cell, he is not around today.

I am going over to his house tomorrow 9am to pick them up.
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited August 2012
    kidglove13 wrote: »
    I am going over to his house tomorrow 9am to pick them up.

Awesome score! I have a pair of 7C's. Can's beat'em for the price.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited August 2012
    mhardy6647

Is the mid woofer and the passive radiator original polk?
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • kidglove13
    edited August 2012
    I picked up the monitor 7's to day from my neighbor.

The good: All drivers are original and seem to be in working order nothing frozen, I have not hooked them up yet though.

The bad: one cab has slight exterior water damage. The wife told me that along time ago when they were being used she use to have a potted plant sitting on top of it and water would drip down the side when she watered the plant:rolleyes:

The damage appears to be only exterior in nature on one side with some swelling and one of the bottom corners is splitting apart a little bit, this is all old damage and the cabinets are completely dry now so there will be no more swelling and or splitting,
    It is all very minimal and repairable IMHO

Inside the cabinet has no indication of moisture ever being inside and all the interior corners, edges and glue appear to still be tight from the inside.

I guess for $10 I cannot complain, I have alittle project.:smile:

There is alot of dust on the peerless tweeter domes, how do I clean them?

Thanks
  • StuartB
    StuartB Posts: 87
    edited August 2012
    It still amazes me everytime I hear of someone putting a potted plant on top of a speaker......just begging for damage to take place.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited August 2012
    Women do that so that the husband will agree that they are old, messed up, and need to be set out for the trash :evil:

$10 bucks is a deal :lol:
    StuartB wrote: »
    It still amazes me everytime I hear of someone putting a potted plant on top of a speaker......just begging for damage to take place.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • Polkersince85
    edited August 2012
    Spray some Windex on a soft lint-free cloth and gently rub the dust off. Works for the drivers, too. Don't spray it directly on them.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • kidglove13
    edited August 2012
    How Can I tell which 7 monitor these are?

Like someone said above possible late A's or early B's

I am going to start pulling them apart for repair and upgrade and would like to know.

Would there be a difference in the crossovers from the late A's to the early B's?

They do have the single fuse on the back

Thanks
  • Polkersince85
    edited August 2012
  • kidglove13
    edited August 2012
    Thanks

Did not even dawn on me to check out the wiring diagrams:redface: