PA D40000.4 Going Into Protection Mode

Options
Jimfoto
Jimfoto Posts: 6
edited August 2012 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just installed my PA D40000.4 which is driving one pair of DB651's and one pair of DB 6501's. Head unit is a kenwoodKDC-X596 which has 4 volt preamp outputs. Amp is installed under a Suburban front seat with 4"-6" all around.

Normal listening volume is at about 20-24 volume which seems high to me. At 28 (out of 35) the amp goes into protection mode. It is warm to the touch but not hot.

Possible culprits would be a partially shorted speaker wire? All speakers are working without undue distortion. Can an in sufficient ground cause heating or the amp? It's grounded right to the body with only a 4" cable. I'm going check to make sure enough paint's been scraped off. Incorrect tuning settings?

Any help with common causes would be appreciated.
Post edited by Jimfoto on

Comments

• Jimfoto
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I've checked the voltage at the amp and it's 12.84. I'll have to wait until the morning to check the ground. What's odd is that when plugging and unplugging the rca cables, the sound level increases dramatically when the RCA plugs are inserted halfway, then decreases to a very low level when they're inserted all the way.
  • Jimfoto
    edited August 2012
    Options
    It was a partially grounded speaker wire. Didn't show up with my digital multi meter but did overheat the amp at higher volume levels.

Many thanks to the PA tech that stayed on the phone with me for a half hour while I tested.