RM6500 Upgrade

Options
jd45177
jd45177 Posts: 35
edited October 2003 in Speakers
I recently upgraded my receiver from a Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX receiver to a VSX-53TX receiver. The RM6500 system I have was a great match for the 26TX but now seems overpowered by the 53TX, meaning that I don't think I'm able to fully realize the capabilities of the 53TX with the RM6500 system. If things work out, next week I plan on upgrading the RM6500 speaker system. I should have maybe $900 in discretionary funds available and I don't plan on using anything but Polk for as long as I live.

My plan is to upgrade the center and the two front speakers. I would use my existing front center speaker for the surround back and continue using the satellites from the RM6500 system for the Surround L/R. Questions I have, which I'm sure have already been hashed and rehashed, are:

* RTi6 vs RTi 38's? It's my impression from perusing this forum that the RTi6's would be a better investment, are they?

* I have heard the RTi70's recently at CC, and I was simply amazed, spellbound, left lacking for nothing. But the store I visited didn't have either the RTi6's or the RTi38's that I could compare to the RTi70's. I believe the bookshelves would take a smaller footprint than the towers, is that the case? How stable are the bookshelves on Sanus stands? (I have pets). How much difference is there in the sound quality between the towers and bookshelves I've mentioned?

* I guess what it boils down to is this, using Crutchfield pricing -
RTi70 fronts and CSi30 center for $748, RTi70 fronts and CSi40 center for $900, RTi6 fronts, CSi3 center and Sanus stands for $670.

Is there a better speaker combination to be had in the $700 - $900 range and am I thinking correctly in using my existing center and two satellites for the the surround back and the surround L/R? That would leave me with two satellite speakers that I wouldn't use.

Sorry for rambling and I hope this makes sense.
Mains: Polkaudio RTi70's
Center: Polkaudio CSi40
Surrounds: Polkaudio RTi38's
Rear Center: Polkaudio CSi30
Sub: Polkaudio PSW-404
Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX
DVD Player: Pioneer DV-414
CD Player: Pioneer Elite PD-M59
TV: Toshiba TZ-43V61
Monster Power MP HTS 2000 MKII Power Center