Looking for a Balanced DAC

blairfrischx
blairfrischx Posts: 259
edited March 2013 in Going Digital
I'd like to put a DAC between my PC and my stereo system. The two are on opposite sides of the room, so I figure balanced is best. And the B&K supports balanced input, so why not keep it that way throughout the chain? :cool:

Some that I have looked at over the past couple weeks are:
Audio-gd NFB-17.2
Music Hall DAC25.2 or 25.3
Stello DA100 / DA100 Signature
PS Audio Digital Link III
Cambridge Audio DacMagic
Valab WM8741

I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with any of them or if someone could suggest another one in the ~$400 price range. Thanks!
Post edited by blairfrischx on

Comments

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited August 2012
    Build one. I did and am extemely happy with it. You can see it here. Mine cost me more than $400 (I believe it was around $800 for parts) but depending on the parts you use, could be done cheaper. Also, you can now purchase the Buffalo III.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    edited August 2012
    You might look into the High Resolution Technologies Music Streamer Pro.
    http://www.douglasconnection.com/HRT-Music-Streamer-Pro-HRTMSPro.htm
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • blairfrischx
    edited August 2012
    headrott wrote: »
    Build one. I did and am extemely happy with it. You can see it here. Mine cost me more than $400 (I believe it was around $800 for parts) but depending on the parts you use, could be done cheaper. Also, you can now purchase the Buffalo III.

I'm still a student, so I might not have the time or income for involved DIY projects in the near future. I've looked at both the Buffalo III and the RAKK dac multiple times before, but could never immediately justify the cost or time spent. It's always in the back of my mind, but I'm looking for a retail solution to this. :cheesygrin:
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2012
    Of the ones on your list I've only heard the PS Audio and the Canbridge Audio. Between the two the PS Audio wins by a good bit. I found the Cambridge to be a bit lifeless. It sounded accurate I suppose, but somehow seemed to suck some of the life out of the music. The PS Audio to my ears had a more engaging sound. The PS Audio is warm of neutral, but not overly warm, just has a very musical sound to it.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2012
    Check out the Little Dot DAC 1. Under $400 for a balanced dac, and it sounds very good. I used to own it.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited August 2012
    How are you planning on hooking up your PC to your system? Depending on the method, it may be better for the DAC to be closer to your PC, or closer to your stereo.

I was in a similar situation to you with my setup (computer desk on other side of room as stereo), but I wanted the best quality audio possible, which means short cables, so, since my PC is a desktop, I just put the actual computer tower right next to my rig, and then ran a 30ft DVI cable for my monitor and a 30ft usb cable for my wireless mouse/keyboard dongle, across the room to my desk, and it has worked out perfectly.

Couple more ideas for balanced DAC's, if you can stretch your budget a little on the used market, the Benchmark DAC-1 and the Musical Fidelity M1. Both are excellent, but the M1 is smoother whereas the Benchmark is brighter, but not by a lot, so either could be better depending on the rest of your system.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2012
    Also, Schiit has a new DAC coming out that is balanced. It's over your budget, but may be worth looking at.
  • blairfrischx
    edited August 2012
    My computer will probably have to stay next to my desk. It has fan speed controls on the front that I like to play with depending on what I'm doing and stuff like that. I also have three monitors, so that'd be a lot of cabling that would have to go across the room.

For that reason, I was thinking that a balanced DAC would be ideal since I will also have a headphone system at my desk. Any DAC with balanced output will probably also have unbalanced, so unbalanced -> headphone system, balanced -> stereo system.

I've also looked at the Little Dot DAC before. My main problem with it was that it only supported it to 16/44k over USB connection. That isn't an immediate problem with my desktop since it has USB, coaxial, and optical out, but I'd like the added flexibility to ever use my laptop or something, especially for when my stereo system and desk are inevitably separated.

As for the PS Audio, I've been eyeing one on Audiogon for $400, but I'm trying to hold off on buying something until some of my other equipment sells on Craigslist. :rolleyes:
  • falconcry72
    edited August 2012
    So you never said how you're going to hook up your PC to this DAC. It will change the setup depending on the method you choose. What's it gonna be?
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2012
    You will find a lot of 24-bit dacs that only support up to 16/44 over USB.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • blairfrischx
    edited August 2012
    So you never said how you're going to hook up your PC to this DAC. It will change the setup depending on the method you choose. What's it gonna be?

My desktop will likely be hooked up over optical, just because it has that capability. My goal in searching for one with USB capability as well is so that I can use it with my laptop if need be in the future.
  • falconcry72
    edited August 2012
    My desktop will likely be hooked up over optical, just because it has that capability. My goal in searching for one with USB capability as well is so that I can use it with my laptop if need be in the future.

Ok cool.

I have a couple pieces of input:

1) Toslink (or digital coax) can sound very good out of a computer, but asynchronous USB sounds slightly better.

2) If you're going to run Toslink out, I'd run a long Toslink cable across the room to the DAC (which would be with the rest of your rig), and then short balanced IC's from the DAC to the Pre, as opposed to a short Toslink and long IC's.

3) A good alternative would be to use a USB>SPDIF converter. You'd put the converter close to your PC with a short USB cable, then a long Toslink or Digital Coax out of the converter to your DAC (with your rig), and short IC's to your pre. This is advantageous because you wouldn't have to run long IC's, and it greatly opens up your DAC choices on the used market because the DAC wouldn't need to have a USB input. There are some really stellar, slightly older DACs out there that don't have USB but sound better than a lot of newer, USB-having mid-level DACs. Also, with a separate USB converter and DAC, you'd have the option of running either USB out or SPDIF out of your computer. You could even have your Desktop hooked up SPDIF out straight to the DAC and your laptop hooked up USB out to the converter, if you wanted both to be hooked up separately.

A good USB>SPDIF converter is the Musical fidelity V-Link, or the Audio GD Digital Interface. I'd get a V-Link because it's cheap, it sounds excellent, and you could flip it no problem if you ended up wanting to go another route.

Hope this helps.

• nwohlford
    nwohlford Posts: 700
    edited August 2012
    Given that you can find the original DacMagic pretty cheap (used for around $200 and open box with warranty for a little below $300), I think that it is worth considering if you are looking for one with balanced out.
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited August 2012
    Give the newer Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus a look. It will do everything you want including high resolution over USB and mine sounds superb.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • blairfrischx
    edited August 2012
    Ok cool.

I have a couple pieces of input:

1) Toslink (or digital coax) can sound very good out of a computer, but asynchronous USB sounds slightly better.

2) If you're going to run Toslink out, I'd run a long Toslink cable across the room to the DAC (which would be with the rest of your rig), and then short balanced IC's from the DAC to the Pre, as opposed to a short Toslink and long IC's.

3) A good alternative would be to use a USB>SPDIF converter. You'd put the converter close to your PC with a short USB cable, then a long Toslink or Digital Coax out of the converter to your DAC (with your rig), and short IC's to your pre. This is advantageous because you wouldn't have to run long IC's, and it greatly opens up your DAC choices on the used market because the DAC wouldn't need to have a USB input. There are some really stellar, slightly older DACs out there that don't have USB but sound better than a lot of newer, USB-having mid-level DACs. Also, with a separate USB converter and DAC, you'd have the option of running either USB out or SPDIF out of your computer. You could even have your Desktop hooked up SPDIF out straight to the DAC and your laptop hooked up USB out to the converter, if you wanted both to be hooked up separately.

A good USB>SPDIF converter is the Musical fidelity V-Link, or the Audio GD Digital Interface. I'd get a V-Link because it's cheap, it sounds excellent, and you could flip it no problem if you ended up wanting to go another route.

Hope this helps.

There's actually an Audio-gd Digital Interface I have been eyeing over on Head-Fi. It still leaves me in need of a DAC, but it would be a solid step in the right direction. If all else fails, I could just use my B&K Reference 50 for its DAC - the one downside to that is that it gets in the way of me having a headphone setup by my desk.

While long runs of neither are ideal, I figure that running ~25 feet of coax vs ~25 feet of balanced cable is a fairly moot point. I don't have much experience with either one, so I may be completely wrong; I was just hoping that having balanced capability would allow me to keep my DAC local to my computer and headphone system, which will have to use unbalanced ICs regardless.

The two systems will look like:
    PC -> DAC (possibly with USB/SPDIF converter) -> Headamp via RCA
    PC -> DAC (possibly with USB/SPDIF converter) -> B&K via XLR -> Amplifiers via XLR

If I wanted a second, small speaker system by my desk, it would either require a preamp on that side (ideally) or using preouts on the headphone amp and forcing it to act as a volume control (less than ideally).

Your contributions are very much appreciated. I am just wondering if you can expand on why it would be preferred having long runs of digital signal vs balanced interconnects.

EDIT: As for the DACMagic, I've heard a lot of things about it being a little cold sounding. I'm relatively inexperienced with sounds, but I do tend to prefer a more laid back sound. I wish I had a way to audition several DACs in my system, but I really can't find a feasible way. I think I have a friend on Head-Fi who is willing to lend me his Valab NOS DAC until I find a new one, but that's not balanced and not really part of the holistic conversation.
  • doctorcilantro
    doctorcilantro Posts: 2,028
    edited August 2012
    Balanced needs to be true balanced for benefit. I have also come across many posts where single-ended has sound better in situations. In theory balanced should sound better, but see if you can dig up specific cases on the B&K Ref. 50.
    For Sale 2019:
    Tortuga Audio LDR passive preamp
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes
    iFi iDSD DAC, .5m UBS, iFI Gemini cable, Oyaide Tunami XLR 1.3M, Oyaide Tunami Speaker wire 1.5M, Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones, PS Audio P3 power center

• blairfrischx
    edited August 2012
    I found a decent price on a DacMagic Plus. I think if I can get my hands on it, that'll be a good starting point. It's supposed to have addressed most of the complaints people had with the original DacMagic.

If not, I can just flip it. :cheesygrin:
    Balanced needs to be true balanced for benefit. I have also come across many posts where single-ended has sound better in situations. In theory balanced should sound better, but see if you can dig up specific cases on the B&K Ref. 50.

I am thinking balanced because of the relatively long distance needed between DAC and preamp. Also because my desired setup requires two outputs from the DAC (headphone system + stereo system). Balanced + unbalanced seems a lot more common than having two unbalanced.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    edited August 2012
    In theory, a balanced system should gain some noise reduction but the benefits are only realized with the whole system being balanced, not just 2 pieces.....unless thats all you have in your system.

Personally, I've listened to balanced systems, digital, analog, and for these old ears the analog wins 90 % of the time. Thats not to say your likes or dislikes maybe different from mine. I also like to find good analog cables that gell with the rest of the system, something a tad harder to do with balanced......cost wise anyway.

If cost isn't so much of a concern, check out Burson. They have a great dac, headphone amp, with 2 outputs that would serve you well, no balanced however.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • blairfrischx
    edited August 2012
    tonyb wrote: »
    In theory, a balanced system should gain some noise reduction but the benefits are only realized with the whole system being balanced, not just 2 pieces.....unless thats all you have in your system.

Personally, I've listened to balanced systems, digital, analog, and for these old ears the analog wins 90 % of the time. Thats not to say your likes or dislikes maybe different from mine. I also like to find good analog cables that gell with the rest of the system, something a tad harder to do with balanced......cost wise anyway.

If cost isn't so much of a concern, check out Burson. They have a great dac, headphone amp, with 2 outputs that would serve you well, no balanced however.

The system is balanced the whole way through. I also happened to pick up a Stello DA100 Signature on Audiogon. So now I should have PC -> Stello -> B&K -> Monoblocks -> Speakers.

I have two other amps coming to compare alongside the Stello, both of which are single-ended only (Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-09 and Valab NOS DAC), so I will get to see a little of what sounds the best in my system.
  • Lost240
    Lost240 Posts: 176
    edited March 2013
    Wyred 4 Sound dac 2 has balanced out