What's driving your LSi's??

Options
Paul T
Paul T Posts: 13
edited October 2003 in Speakers
Just wondering what you guys are using to drive you LSi speakers.... Ready to spring for a pair of LSi 7's and been doing some serious looking for a receiver to drive them, currently have a Yamaha RX-V480, even though the 75 wpc is enough power to drive them the 4 ohm issue has me worried.. Thinking of the Outlaw 1050, previously leaned towards the NAD T742 but it's the only receiver NAD makes that isn't rated for 4ohm speakers. The NAD T752 is but I can't justify spending $200 more then the Outlaw plus there have been a ton of reports of problems with the NAD T7xx series (clicking when turning the volume up or down, processor problems, firmware problems and music skipping with certain CD and DVD players)....
Post edited by Paul T on

Comments

• ToddB
    ToddB Posts: 21
    edited October 2003
    Options
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2003
    Options
    The NAD 752 should be fine but it's up to you whether or not you want to spend the extra $200. If you're planning to have a music only system you should get into seperates. If your Yammy have pre outs, you can get a 2ch amp.

Oh yeah..and for your question. I had my LSi powered by an Onkyo receiver at one point. The sound was pretty good. Then I upgraded to NAD seperates with a C160pre and a C270 amp. It had plenty of power and great detail but I prefer the sound of my Dyna ST-70 tube amp with the ASL tube pre amp which I'm running right now.

Maurice
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hi Paul T,
    I still have a pair of like new LSi9's for sale in the fleamarket for $575 including shipping and insurance. You can check them out here:
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12941&perpage=30&pagenumber=3
    Like new, only a few hours on them. They are in perfect condition, not even broken in yet.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Paul,

Check your owner's manual specifications (last page) to see if in the audio output section if they list dynamic headroom into 8 / 6/ 4/ 2 ohms. If so you are probably okay for now. I had a Yamaha RX-V1300 I used for a while with my LSi 9s. The 1300 has a 8 / 4 ohm switch in the back of it. Check your unit to see if it has the same. If not, you can try it out with what you have. My 1300 never got hot just barely warm running the LSi 9s at moderate volumes. At higher volumes it just didn't have the headroom / sound for my tastes so I went with Rotel. You may just like the way it sounds just fine if you don't play your music too loud.

Paul
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hey Paul, where have you been man? Long time no see.

Yeah the receiver was alright at low to medium volume. When I turned it up it got pretty nasty.
    You might want to contact Yamaha for the 16/8/4/2 ohm dynamic power. Sometimes they're not listed in the instruction book. My Onkyo receiver's book did not list them. I found the complete specs on an old link from their website.
    Even though a receiver has dynamic power down to 2 ohms it doesn't mean they can easily handle the LSi. It's just a sign that the amp is of good quality and have a good amount of reserve power for peaks and transients. So if your receiver have these power ratings you should be fine using it to power the LSi temporarily.

Maurice
  • wrxmy02
    wrxmy02 Posts: 92
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I use a Yamaha 80wx5..it takes the 4 ohm rather nicely.

CHECK OUT THE NEW RXV-1400 245 W [MAX] INTO 4 OHMS.
    Lots of other goodies on this amp. Here is the link to the PDF info.

RXV-1400
    Front: LSI7
    Center: LSIC
    Surrounds: LSI7
    SVS PB2-ISD SUB [MONOLITH!]
    ATI 1805 Amp
  • C Bennett
    C Bennett Posts: 24
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I had a Carver AVR 100 circa 1988 or so. I sold it to a friend who has those speakers but he just does stereo stuff not home theater. He still has it and loves it. Says it drives them great. I wanted to get into HT thats the ONLY reason I got rid of that receiver, its the best I ever owned.
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Arcam AVR-200

LSi 9,C,FX on it.

Loud and clear.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2003
    Options
    B&K Reference 50 and AV125.7
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.