disapointed in remore control

Don Liberman
Don Liberman Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in Forum Testing Area
The sound bar and sub woofer were easy to get up and running but the remote leaves a lot to be desired. They advertise how well it works in a big room except for the remote. If you are not close to the sound bar and point it streight on it doesn't work and it doesn't respond to the command the first time you push a button. Also the remote from the TV changes the channel on the sound bar, whats up with that???? I hope they work on improving the remote and offer it as an upgrade. It's a pain to get up to get closer to the sound bar to use the remote. Do I have a defective unit or are they all like that? Very disapointing because it's almost a perfict solition to having good sound without running lots of cables.
Post edited by Don Liberman on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2012
    Hello Don,
    I'm sorry you're having a problem, maybe we can be of help. What model SurroundBar do you have? When you say the TV remote changes the channel, do you mean the remote changes the input selection on the Polk?
    Regards, Ken
  • Don Liberman
    edited July 2012
    I have the sound bar 6000. The sound bar is mounted just below the TV and it I point the TV remote at the TV to change channels the sound bar turns off or changes channels. If I point the TV remote at the ceiling it doesn't affect the sound bar. Fortunitally the TV remote doesn't have to be pointed at the TV. I sincronized the volume control from the TV remote with the sound bar and that works fine. When the TV remote changes the channel on the sound bar I eather have to get up and change the sound bar channel with the sound bar remote or I keep hitting the enter botton on the TV remote until the channel changes on the sound bar. Some times that works and I don't have to get up and get closer to the sound bar with the sound bar remote. Hope I didn't confuse you.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2012
    Hi Don,
    Let's try something. First put the Polk in the standby mode so the LED is red. Then on the bar itself push the "learn" button for about 2 seconds. The LED should turn amber colored and blink twice. This means the previous instructions have been erased and we can start fresh. Use the remote that came with the TV (not the cable or satellite dish remote) to program the Polk for "volume up" "volume down" "on/off" and "mute" instructions.
    Hopefully this will everything working correctly.
    Regards, Ken
  • Don Liberman
    edited July 2012
    Hi Ken, After I do that should I make the satellite remote learn the volume control? Thanks for all your help. I assume you work for Polk. If so are you working on improving the remote control system. The reason I ask is that if the remote is not at a 90 deg angle and at the same elevation. It would be a major improvement to a nice system because I would rate the quality of the sound 9 on a s cale of 1-10. One more question is Polk working on a wireless suround system?

Thanks, Don
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2012
    Hi Don,
    As long as the satellite receiver's remote works the TV there's no need to do anything beyond programming the Polk with the TV's remote. Once you've taught the Polk the TV's remote the satellite's remote will work it. The problem with using the satellite's remote to program the Polk is that since it has to control many different brands of products it can confuse the Polk. But, the TV remote should be fine.
    I believe the problem with the remote is that the sensor is behind the speaker's grille cover, which has a limiting effect. It might be best to give Polk's CS folks a call at 1-800-377-7655 for more specific information.
    Cheers, Ken