Polk RT16 vs RT7

Options
johnjohnmackey
johnjohnmackey Posts: 10
edited July 2012 in Speakers
I used to own a pair of Polk RT7's and regret selling them :redface:. I recently came across a mint pair of RT16's and was wondering how these compare to the 7's. I've read a lot about the RT7's but can't find much here on the 16's. Thanks in advance!
Post edited by johnjohnmackey on

Comments

• falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Welcome to CP!

I've had both. They're both great speakers, especially for what you can pick them up for on the used market. The RT-16's have a very similar sound to the RT-7's; they're just a tower model, so they have lower, deeper, better bass.

They use the same (rare) 7.5" driver, but the RT-16 has (2) whereas the RT-7 has (1). They use a nearly identical tri-lam tweeter.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,972
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Yes I owned and loved the rt7s as well, but have never heard the 16s regrettably. I was always under the impression that moving form the 7s to the 16s woudl be like moving from teh rti a3s to the a5s, in other words just adding a second identical driver. I guess that Falconcry's info means that's not quite right, btu close. I would pick em up if the price is right and you have the space!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • johnjohnmackey
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Thanks. I really liked the RT7's. I thought the sound was very balanced even if it was slightly on the bright side. I replaced them with newer RTi's and while they're pretty good, they just are not as good as the first generation RT's, at least to my ears.
  • rooftop59
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Yes I agree but I went the opposite direction. First purchase was m30s, then rti4s, then rti6s, then rt7s. The latter were my favorite of the bunch. Very coherent and dynamic. No one thing stands out, but they do so much right. But I like all the old tri-lam speakers better than the newer rti series. Just don't care for the bump in the upper octaves of the newer series. YMMV.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • johnjohnmackey
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I picked them up this afternoon. They also came with a CS350 and a pair of LS/FX's, all for $250. They sound amazing, even if they need a little cleaning. Now if I could only find another pair of RT7's...
  • johnjohnmackey
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Ok possible problem. The LS/FX seem to be light on volume. My receiver's calibration set them to the same level as my FX300i's and all the drivers seem to be working. But the sound doesn't feel as loud as it should. Are these speakers more placement reliant than the FX300s? I can't find a manual online but some pictures I found suggest that having a back wall is optimal(I do not have one - my listening room opens into the kitchen).
  • drselect
    drselect Posts: 664
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I picked them up this afternoon. They also came with a CS350 and a pair of LS/FX's, all for $250.
    I think you got a great deal on those.
    I am currently running the same setup in my HT (RT-16, CS350 and LS/FX along with a DSW600). I have my LS/FX on the side walls and do have a back wall. Do you have them set for dipole or bipole? How high up the wall do you have them? I have not heard the FX300s but I know placement of the LS/fx makes a difference

and welcome to club polk.
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Awesome deal. I am an RT16 owner as well and I really like them. Not the finest looking speaker ever designed but the sound is smooth. I use mine in PC based 2-ch system in my office. Good speakers for rockin'!

Where do you live? I saw a set in St. Louis craigslist that looked like what you described but the seller didn't mention the model numbers. I emailed him but he never responded. Maybe you are the lucky buyer!
  • johnjohnmackey
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I will play around with placement of the LS/FX's tomorrow and see what I can come up with. For now, I've got my RT800i's in the back and I'm really like this setup. As good as the 800i's are, they can't match the RT16's when it comes to transparency. With the 800i's, there seems to be an emphasis in the midrange region that colors the sound - at least that's what I'm hearing. I'm not experiencing this with the 16's. The CS350 also seems to be a great deal better than my CS400i.
    Awesome deal. I am an RT16 owner as well and I really like them. Not the finest looking speaker ever designed but the sound is smooth. I use mine in PC based 2-ch system in my office. Good speakers for rockin'!

Where do you live? I saw a set in St. Louis craigslist that looked like what you described but the seller didn't mention the model numbers. I emailed him but he never responded. Maybe you are the lucky buyer!

I'm also in the St Louis area and those are indeed the same speakers. I'm glad I was first in line although I hate that you missed out. Truly awesome speakers.
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I'm also in the St Louis area and those are indeed the same speakers. I'm glad I was first in line although I hate that you missed out. Truly awesome speakers.

I had a feeling! Nice pick up. From my experience you need the RT16 out from the wall at least 8 inches. They're terrific at imaging which I really enjoy. I think you will like them alot.

If you ever decide you don't need or want that center, let me know.
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Wow. Excellent deal. You basically paid below the standard rate for the 350 and FX's, and got the RT-16's thrown in for free on top of an already good deal!

Yea... the 350 is an excellent center.

Nice setup. Congrats!:biggrin:
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • johnjohnmackey
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I'm happy with the fronts Not really feeling it with the LS/FX's though. I'll keep them just in case anything happens to the drivers in the CS350(plenty of replacements). The 800's are more than sufficient as surrounds.
  • danzspot
    danzspot Posts: 2
    Options
    Ok..got a set of RT 16 Tower question..I bought them in mid 1990's, $850 for set. I was listening to some rock the other day, vol only at 4 out of 15 on dial, and heard a small crackle from both tweets..so, I'm gonna assume both need to be replaced. Haven't called Polk yet, nor have I taken them out yet..what would be a great replacement??..thanks
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited July 2018
    Options
    danzspot wrote: »
    Ok..got a set of RT 16 Tower question..I bought them in mid 1990's, $850 for set. I was listening to some rock the other day, vol only at 4 out of 15 on dial, and heard a small crackle from both tweets..so, I'm gonna assume both need to be replaced. Haven't called Polk yet, nor have I taken them out yet..what would be a great replacement??..thanks

Before you contact Polk, I would suggest taking a look at the crossover. You could have simply burnt out a resistor, or a component could’ve worn out. More than likely, however, the tweeter is cooked, and you will need to find replacements. Contact Polk, although I don’t believe they sell parts for the RT 16 anymore, so you will probably have to find one on eBay.
    Welcome to Club Polk!
    Micah
  • rooftop59
    edited July 2018
    Options
    danzspot wrote: »

Yep, eBay it is. But those tweets are getting harder and harder to find. Just be grateful you didn’t blow a woofer, those are dern near impossible to source...

Edit: I would seriously consider buying these: https://m.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-RT7-Reference-Bookshelf-Speakers-Pair/253737353222?hash=item3b13ecc006:g:Fe4AAOSwE2tbQRiA&_nkw=polk+rt7&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m4084.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xpolk+rt.TRS1
    That way you have spare tweeters and woofers. I am a little tempted to buy them myself!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1