base board and dry wall

Options
paymontana
paymontana Posts: 234
edited October 2003 in Speakers
I drilled holes down through the floor right at the tac strip for the carpet and then removed the base board and fished it up through the floor, across a notch in the tac strip and up the dry wall . Then replace the base board. Under -neath the base board and behind the tac strip is an excellent place to conceal wire around the perimeter of the room. The only place you have to be careful is doorways. I hoped I helped.
"It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ****."
Post edited by paymontana on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I'm sure it did... What was the question? :D

Post Reply vs. New Thread strikes again....
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • paymontana
    edited October 2003
    Options
    How did you know I was stupid!!! LOL
  • eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thats what i plan on doing in my condo.. i figure it would be alot easier then runing the wire up and over a catherdral ceiling.

The part i dont understand is why would you need to drill a hole down into the floor by the base board?.. I've noticed that there is a nice gap around an inch under the base board on side of the carpet where you could just shove the wire into and it would be totally hidden.. but yeah.. once you go threw a doorway or an opening like infront of a hallway you would have to travel under the carpet.. Which i'd use a long snake for the job.

One of these days i'll get that done hehehe. i for some reason like to do small steps and then pull everything out and do the next thing and then put it all back... God one of these days i'll do it right with getting the job done then setting it all up for the last time :o
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Options
    pm,
    Might have had something to do with the identical post over in the other thread... that and if you're around here long enough we all do it...

eclypse,
    Be carefull with the under carpet runs, especially in foot traffic areas as the wire will break with time. You can give up some padding and use the "anti-trip runners" to protect the wire.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • paymontana
    edited October 2003
    Options
    My HT is in the basement. I have zone 2 wired upstairs. This was supposed to be a reply but the idiot behind my key board hit the wrong button.

CJ
  • paymontana
    edited October 2003
    Options
    While we are on the unexposed wire subject. Why do they advertise oxygen free wires if the actual wire is jacketed any way. Maybe it is just me but I can't think of a logical difference.

CJ
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Options
    pm,

It's the O2 in the wire that matters... surface ox is of little consequences.

If you doubt me, just ask the little man in your lower right desk drawer... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• paymontana
    edited October 2003
    Options
    So if the wire is exposed at either end it doesn't matter if it is run through the wall or ceilling? If not how does the wire breathe through a solid rubber jacket?

CJ
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Options
    pm,
    Don't understand the "if it is run through the wall or ceilling" condition.

In general low O2 wire is extruded in an inert, O2 free atmosphere (nitrogen and/ or argon are often used), but from there on it is exposed. O2 and moisture are present during the insulating steps.

Even if excluded during the entire process, O2 will find its way in through the ends. Seal the ends and it will find its way in between the individual strands and between the insulation and the wire...

Nature loves to have concentrations of everything the same everywhere... Strong driving forces in play here. Consume some O2 by oxidizing copper in the middle of even a long run and the O2 will be replentished.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli