Bandpass vs Ported with mm2124

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
hello i have the option to use a ported box with the subs inverted or a band pass i do like sound quality i have infinity kappa perfect series componenets will a band pass sound good enough from 80-90hz and lower and will the band pass do low frequency hz as well such as 30-20hz ? i listen to lots of different music but i want the bass loud
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited October 2003
    Simple answer: No.

Complex answer: No. A Band-Pass enclosure is called a band-pass enclosure because it allows only a band of frequencies to be played. It physically limits the frequency range the emminnates from the enclosure.

Bandpass is usually only effective from about an 80-30 Hz range with realistic response being more along the lines of a 40-70 Hz response range which is limited by the acoustics of the car, not just the enclosure.

Bandpass boxes will make alot of boom but they are messy sounding. Very muddled and they are usually plagued with port noise. They operate in a limited frequency range but are very efficient in that range. If you want a full-range of subwoofer response (typically 20-100 Hz) you will need to go a different path.

A proted box will play loud also but has a limited low end extension. Usually down to about 35-30 Hz. Somtimes a ported box can play down to 20 Hz or lower but that is because it is tuned that way at a sacrifice of frequency response range and accuracy.

By far, the best option for a full frequency range sub is a sealed enclosure. The issue with a sealed enclosure is that if you want iit loud, you will need a good deal of power. Typically 30-40% more than a ported or bandpass box just to achieve the same volume levels that a ported or bandpass box allows. They all have trade-offs. You will just have to determine what choice best fits your budget and what trade-offs your are most willing to live with to achieve your desired end result.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited October 2003
    ... and after he's got a few beer's in him, that all gets said as simply as "you'll probably want a sealed due to what you said you like especially considering the quality of subwoofer you purchased... so dig deep in the pockets and buy a big amp, and drive the **** out of that woofer in a nicely built sealed box".

dude we would make a cool "good cop / bad cop" routine.

i get to be the prisoner (that's the confusing part eh!??)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge