Netflix Disc vs Streaming

2»

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited July 2012
    Really???

I was going to let it go, but you took that first quote completely out of context, because right after that I listed my criteria and said quote "The reason I prefer the Apple TV is because it's the only device that I've found that has all the following attributes:" and then I list those criteria...

I think it's OBVIOUS to anyone reading the thread that I wasn't claiming the Apple TV to be the best streamer overall regardless of criteria which is how you're presenting it here, I've been OBVIOUS about what my criteria are and what I'm judging the box on and have listed those out MULTIPLE times. I have stated OVER and OVER that it is based on my criteria, I even said that I would prefer the Netgear if it met all my criteria.

Unbelievable....
  • mudwrx
    mudwrx Posts: 367
    edited July 2012
    Whoa, guys...I just wanted to know if Netflix had any good streaming titles.:rolleyes:
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited July 2012
    Here are a few of my quotes from earlier posts in this thread (posted BEFORE this really turned into an argument:
    The reason I prefer the Apple TV is because it's the only device that I've found that has all the following attributes:

- Stable and very fast
    - Intuitive and easy to use UI
    - will play any format out there (of special note for me particularly is DVD ISO with full resolution and menu support)
    - does not require any server software (you just point it to your network shares or NAS and you're good to go)
    - AirPlay
    - iPhone and iPad mirroring

If you remove the last two Apple specific items from my list it's still a good box and a compelling product although not the only option, with those items however it's really the only option I'm aware of.
    To be clear, I was not and am not advocating that the Apple TV is a best choice for everyone, this is why I was very careful to note that it was my favorite and then I listed out my set of criteria so that everyone could see the features that I'm factoring into my decision. Obviously, if your priorities or wish list don't align with mine then my opinions or observations are irrelevant for you, simple as that.
    I do like the Netgear box overall, and if they made a box that would do both local and online streaming that would actually be the box I recommend to people OVER the Apple TV because there's no jailbreaking involved
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited July 2012
    wayne3burk wrote: »
    I've been doing a little research as i have 60 days to return my Sony N200 Media Streamer to Target. Looks like i'm gonna order the Netgear NTV200S NeoTV Streaming Player from Wally-Mart.

I loaded the Plex Server on my Dell N17 something hundred i5 laptop with the idea of using it to serve up my audio files.... Looks like the Sony doesnt support flac files in any way shape or form - a shortcoming of DLNA me thinks. And Plex through DLNA on the Sony box doesnt support continuous play / shuffle but does look like it supports playlists - something i never really have taken the time to make. (playlists that is).

So it's the Netgear NTV200S NeoTV Streaming Player for me - I'll give you a full report on WiDi once i have it ordered, installed, tried out and evaluated.

DLNA has always had shortcomings, and IMO it has largely failed at the very purpose it was intended for. The problem is that, while DLNA specifies a list of required formats, it also specifies numerous optional formats. For audio, the required format is LPCM. MP3, WMA9, AC-3, AAC, and ATRAC3plus are all optional formats (no FLAC). So you may have one DLNA device that supports direct MP3 streaming and another that does not, so if the device storing your MP3s will not transcode to LPCM (transcoding is not a requirement), you're out of luck.

Very interested to hear what you think of the new NeoTV. But I'm curious why you chose the NeoTV if the reason you returned the Sony was the lack of FLAC streaming, as the NeoTV 200S does not support any sort of local streaming at all (or Plex). The NeoTV 550 does, but it does not support any Internet streaming services (Netflix, Pandora, etc.), so it's an either/or choice with the NeoTV series.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited July 2012
    I just don't understand why Netgear doesn't sell a box that'll do it all. Build a box that has better aesthetics (yes some people factor in how their gear looks and your box looks like a router) and has both online and local streaming and charge $150 bucks for it. The UI is great and the box is stable and works well, and if they made a model with the full feature-set it would be hard to beat, and as I said would actually be my recommendation for most people.

It's the same way I feel about Apple neutering their Apple TV out of the box but we won't go there...
  • GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    edited July 2012
    AsSiMiLaTeD -

What version of the WD TV Live did you use? I had the WD TV Live Plus, but then recently got the newer version listed below.
    Western Digital WD TV Live Streaming Media Player - WDBHG70000NBK-HESN

The interface is vastly improved compared to the original. My wife hated the original, but likes the new interface a lot better. It's much faster than the older one as well and sells for $89 on Amazon. No, I haven't used the Apple TV, but I'm not up for buying something only to jailbreak it. My choice I know. I just think the newer version of the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player fits most all your requirements. I say "most" because I can't verify the last two which are Airplay and iPhone/iPad mirroring.

I have created my own NAS device, connected it into my router and play DVD iso files over wireless N with no issues. I had a lot of issues on the older WD device trying to do this. I also play FLAC files over the wireless N without issues - however this is not via DLNA, but directly accessing the files via the NAS.

Anyway, just wondered about your thoughts on that one and if you were using the newer version of the WD device.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited July 2012
    I've actually tried both versions of the WD TV Live. I used the previous generation model for a year or so and that's the one that gave me the most issues. I have the new model sitting just a few feet away from me. My general experience has been about the same with both boxes.

I agree that the new interface is much better than the old, no contest there. The performance however seems to be hit or miss. There is a slight lag when navigating menus, more lag when doing some things like setting up shares and such. The overall performance is just a bit sluggish when compared to some of the faster boxes out there. The Netgear and Apple boxes both feel materially quicker in comparison. I also have a random reboot from time to time, and last time I checked it wouldn't hold on to Netflix credentials when it crashed, though I've heard that has been fixed.

I'm not saying the box is junk, I just didn't have a great experience with it. In fairness I have not played with it in a while and have not tried the newest firmware, so my experience may be somewhat outdated. Overall though, my experience seems close to what the overall reviews indicated. Not that Amazon reviews are the final word on anything, but overall there it's rated at 3.5 stars and if I were to give it a rating that's about what mine would be. Maybe I got a lemon, but since I had about the same experience on both boxes different model I just assumed that was 'how they work'.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited July 2012
    mudwrx, Yes, Netflix could use a bigger library. But it's not bad. I like all the TV shows/series. With the Disc package I think Netflix is a great value for the money.

I used the newer WD TV device as a portable media player. I can hook it up to my car's infotainment system for playing movies off of a flash drive. I can fit 20-30 kid's movies on a 32 GB stick. Perfect for long trips. I think the Apple TV has some great advantages, but it's missing the ability to play off a USB stick. I haven't tried the Roku device yet, and I use XBMC for home streaming off a NAS. I do need to upgrade this later setup since the hardware is the original Xbox and it can't do HD. But for now it works.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited July 2012
    Yeah unfortunately you can't jailbreak your way around not being able to play directly from a USB device because the hardware isn't there. It would be cool to have that feature though, friends could bring a movie over on a usb drive and we could just plug it in and watch it. Of course most of my friends are retarded and wouldn't do a good quality conversion and it would look terrible on the big plasma, but that's obviously not the fault of the device.

There's a reason that I'm holding on to this newer WD Box I have (I sold the previous model here on CP for cheap). The menu is much improved and all the functionality I need is there, I"m holding on in hopes of them pushing a firmware that speeds up the response of the box. One thing I haven't done is compare the actual playback quality of the WD to the Apple TV, I wonder if one device is better in that regard? The Apple TV is good and I remember the WD looking about the same, but have not done a thorough comparison. I remember both boxes being about the same, plenty good enough for me on standard def but not quite as good as the upscaler in the Oppo BD-83 which is superb.

Now if the Oppo or another box with a similar scaler would stream ISOs that would be something entirely different.

I've been holding on to the Netgear box for a similar reason, in hopes of them pushing Netflix support but that is looking less and less likely and I may move the Netgear box along.

Before I do that though I may do a shootout this weekend on the video quality of the players I still have in my posession (Apple TV, WD Live, Netgear 500, Dune HD-101, Zotac Z-Box, and I'll throw in the PS3 streaming from TVersity if I still have that installed)
  • Lost240
    Lost240 Posts: 176
    edited March 2013
    I always have HD streams via netflix. It depends on your internet providers speeds