Polk momo or kicker comp

Hunterk
Hunterk Posts: 5
edited July 2012 in Car Audio & Electronics
I got offered 2 8 polk momo subs. I have 2 12 kicker comps in a small box under my rear seat in my ex cab. The kicker comps are 150 rms. The polk momo subs are 250 rms. Should i accept the trade? I want just more bass.
Post edited by Hunterk on

Comments

• Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited July 2012
    I'm assuming you will also change your amp and get the right enclosure...
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • EBAN44
    EBAN44 Posts: 39
    edited July 2012
    Are you 16? haha Do some math, if all you want is bass, 8+8=16, 12+12=24. The bigger the number will put out more bass aka be louder. They will also go lower then the 8s.

Sorry but this thread just seems like a cry for attention.
  • Hunterk
    edited July 2012
    I am actually 15. I just figured the 8s will hit harder because they can handle more power.
  • bokdaddy
    bokdaddy Posts: 176
    edited July 2012
    Come on, give the kid a break. Nobody gets into this stuff with a full bank of knowledge...

The 8 inch Polk's might give you a sound that you find more enjoyable. They'll sound more musical and work with different genres of music instead of just slamming loudly on rap and rock songs. The larger the sub the more surface area so it will push more air and in most cases result in a harder hitting sound. But if you're serious about getting into car audio you'll soon find that wattage and size are not what's most important when buying speakers. If you have the opportunity to do so ask the person who wants to trade to bring the Polks over and let you listen to them in your truck.

And welcome to the forum. There's tons of us here who are still learning every day.

James
    Home:
    Denon AVR-1803
    Polk CSi30
    Polk RTi70
    Polk RTi28
    Polk PSW-303

Car:
    Kenwood KDC-BT945U
    RF Punch P400-4
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM651
    RF Punch P300-1
    Boston Acoustics G312-4
  • the88thpianoman
    the88thpianoman Posts: 36
    edited July 2012
    Hunterk wrote: »
    I am actually 15. I just figured the 8s will hit harder because they can handle more power.

In theory, they may be able to, if they're in the proper enclosure. But, if you're not also changing out the amp to deliver that 100 watts RMS of additional power, you're most likely going to see a loss in bass output. If you use the same amp, the same amount of power that you were putting into 226 sq. inches of sub is now going into only 100 sq. inches of sub. That's going to result in a big loss. But, if you get an amp that will deliver the full 250 watts RMS per sub, you may actually get your increase in volume.

The other side of the coin to consider is that even if you can get more volume out of a new setup, you will not get the same low end extension out of an 8" sub that you will out of a 12". Your increase in volume may be exclusively mid bass, and still see a decrease in sub bass.

I'd say if you've got the money and time to play around with, go for it and see which setup you like better. If you're only planning to swap out the subs and not the amp, definitely don't bother. Also, if the setup you have now does meet your needs, don't upgrade or sidegrade simply for the sake of doing so; sometimes it's best to not fix what isn't broken.
  • Hunterk
    edited July 2012
    Thanks. My setup just takes up alot of space.