Samsung DA-E750 Tube ipod dock

Options
bigaudiofanatic
bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
edited June 2012 in Electronics
I was in worst buy today and noticed something weird about a samsung ipod dock. Upon further inspection/reading it has a tube pre amp!!!!

Anyone heard this thing? Are we going back to the age of tubes!!! :mrgreen:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-gj9Sl1LkJuo/p_305DAE750/Samsung-DA-E750.html

x305DAE750-f.jpeg
HT setup
Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
Denon DBP-1610
Monster HTS 1650
Carver A400X :cool:
MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
Kef 104/2
URC MX-780 Remote
Sonos Play 1

Living Room
63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
Polk Surroundbar 3000
Samsung BD-C7900
Post edited by bigaudiofanatic on

Comments

• Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Looks nice. Wonder how it sounds.

Has a built in sub in the bottom. I almost never like all in ones like this but the quality looks to be there.
  • Obsession18
    Obsession18 Posts: 191
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I dropped by Best Buy last night to see if they had one, first I checked the area they keep their docks from Bose, iHome and others, no luck. Next I wondered back into the Magnolia area and asked one of their sales people about the Samsung dock with the vacuum tubes. Talk about a deer in the headlights moment, the salesmen thought I was asking about a friggin vacuum cleaner, I explained to him that vacuum tubes were the precursors to transistors and look somewhat like a small cylindrical light bulb. Finally something started to register and he mentioned that they had just received a Samsung DVD player that contained tubes. I asked him to show me, well it wasn't a DVD player it was the dock (I pointed out to him that it was not a DVD player). Unfortunately the only one they had was boxed up so I didn't get a listen.
    2-Channel System
    Analog: VPI Traveler TT, Audio Technica 150MLX, Pro-Ject Tube Box DS
    CD Player: Jolida JD-100 Preamp: Cambridge 840E Amp: Odyssey Kismet Stereo
    Spkrs: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Systems
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Did you really expect them to know what a vacuum tube was?
    scratching_head.gif
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Obsession18
    Obsession18 Posts: 191
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Decal - I wouldn't expect the normal sales people to know, but these were the guys in business casual attire that do the Magnolia sales exclusively. Your right though it was a stretch on my part to think they would know what a tube was.
    2-Channel System
    Analog: VPI Traveler TT, Audio Technica 150MLX, Pro-Ject Tube Box DS
    CD Player: Jolida JD-100 Preamp: Cambridge 840E Amp: Odyssey Kismet Stereo
    Spkrs: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Systems
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,551
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Decal - I wouldn't expect the normal sales people to know, but these were the guys in business casual attire that do the Magnolia sales exclusively.

LOL, I find the Magnolia guys are not necessarily any better than the regular folks. Which is sad TBH.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,237
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I was in worst buy today and noticed something weird about a samsung ipod dock. Upon further inspection/reading it has a tube pre amp!!!!

Anyone heard this thing? Are we going back to the age of tubes!!! :mrgreen:
    "going back"... ?

;-)
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited June 2012
    Options
    This isn't the first time Samsung flirted with tubes. Several years ago, Samsung displayed a multi-channel home theater receiver with tubes. In fact, Samsung has tube pre-amps in a couple of its current HTiB systems.
  • bigaudiofanatic
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I dropped by Best Buy last night to see if they had one, first I checked the area they keep their docks from Bose, iHome and others, no luck. Next I wondered back into the Magnolia area and asked one of their sales people about the Samsung dock with the vacuum tubes. Talk about a deer in the headlights moment, the salesmen thought I was asking about a friggin vacuum cleaner, I explained to him that vacuum tubes were the precursors to transistors and look somewhat like a small cylindrical light bulb. Finally something started to register and he mentioned that they had just received a Samsung DVD player that contained tubes. I asked him to show me, well it wasn't a DVD player it was the dock (I pointed out to him that it was not a DVD player). Unfortunately the only one they had was boxed up so I didn't get a listen.

Mine had it over by the docks. I was so excited I yanked a sales associate asking if he knew why I was excited about the tube and if he knew what there were. He said he did but I explained anyway. Than he was like oh thats really cool.

I want to hear it!!!
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited June 2012
    Options
    It is a gimmick. For an iPod to sound good the files need to be in a lossless format, and a dock (for example Wadia 171) that can read the digital data needs to be used. Then the file is sent to a DAC, which then connects to the stereo.

This dock will use the $1.99 DAC built in the iPod.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • bigaudiofanatic
    edited June 2012
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    It is a gimmick. For an iPod to sound good the files need to be in a lossless format, and a dock (for example Wadia 171) that can read the digital data needs to be used. Then the file is sent to a DAC, which then connects to the stereo.

This dock will use the $1.99 DAC built in the iPod.

All my files are in lossless, and prof that it will use the ipods DAC and not line out?
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • BlueFox
    edited June 2012
    Options
    All my files are in lossless, and prof that it will use the ipods DAC and not line out?

Just a guess. Does the Samsung have a built-in DAC? If not it is using the iPod DAC. I just did a quick Google on it, and no one mentioned a DAC. Of course, I might have overlooked the one article that did mention it. :lol:

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    edited June 2012
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Eh, it looks nice, but seems like a massive waste.

Sort of like the Manley Stingray iTube. Of course, it was built before Apple opened up the digital interface for companies to have access to the files on the iPod.

http://www.manley.com/mist.php

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,007
    edited June 2012
    Options
    well it can stream wirelessly from ny bluetooth enabled device, which bypasses the devices DACs. Now that doesn't mean that the docs DACs don't suck, or that the speakers don't suck etc., but at least its true dock with some potential.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer