Rush Clockwork Angels

Options
Dawgfish
Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
edited June 2012 in Music & Movies
For all of you Rush Fans out there check this one out. I've listened through the cd a couple times now and I'm really digging this one. It has a very hard edge to it and the musicianship is incredible, even by Rush standards. I think they have a winner on their hands with this one.
Post edited by Dawgfish on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 13
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Did you notice how the clock on the album cover is set to 9:12? That's 21:12 in military time, baby!
  • Dawgfish
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I didn't notice that but now that you mention it, I see it now. That's pretty appropriate. It has a 2112 esque feel in many ways. Good work!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I really like it, listened two it a few times already. I still think the first through Moving pictures are thier best but this one and snakes and Arrows have got me into Rush again. This one is very good, I like the 2112 reference on the cover but 2112 this one is not. It is worth a purchase.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Dawgfish
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I guess what I was trying to convey is that it has aspects of it that are 2112 esque in many ways such as it's heaviness, longer songs, and the fact that it's a concept album. Personally I think this album can hang right up there with the classics and will end up being a classic itself it there is any justice left in the world.
  • kidglove13
    kidglove13 Posts: 207
    edited June 2012
    Options
    There is never any justice when it comes to RUSH, especially in the music industry

Its all about their fans because no one else seems to give them respect
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    I guess what I was trying to convey is that it has aspects of it that are 2112 esque in many ways such as it's heaviness, longer songs, and the fact that it's a concept album. Personally I think this album can hang right up there with the classics and will end up being a classic itself it there is any justice left in the world.

This, and other insider comments can be verified by listening to Geddy and Alex in their interview yesterday on CBC radio. Go here for details

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2012/06/11/video-geddy-lee-rush.html

where's Neil?
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I will pick this up this weekend..
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited June 2012
    Options
    kidglove13 wrote: »
    There is never any justice when it comes to RUSH, especially in the music industry

Its all about their fans because no one else seems to give them respect

Indeed. Kinda like Polk in the audio industry :frown: The sound quality of later Rush albums seemed to be a bit bright and thin to me, almost spacey. How does this recording sound in comparison to older stuff SQ wise?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I've never found the recording quality on any of their albums to be superb, this one is no exception.

This one is recorded pretty hot. The compression on the top end isn't too bad, but it's there.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Jon_S wrote: »
    Did you notice how the clock on the album cover is set to 9:12? That's 21:12 in military time, baby!

I didn't notice that either. But I did hear in an interview where Lee compares this album to 2112 and Moving Pictures as his three favorite Rush albums.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • kidglove13
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I've never found the recording quality on any of their albums to be superb, this one is no exception.

This one is recorded pretty hot. The compression on the top end isn't too bad, but it's there.

I too have never found the quality of their recordings that great either, I thought it was just me, at least I am not the only one.

A couple of their albums sound good but the majority are ok

To me it also seems the recordings lack in the low end

Live is where they really shine, they sound incredible in concert, it is almost to perfect sometimes

They are super tight

But either way they still rock
  • Dawgfish
    edited June 2012
    Options
    It's hard for me to say exactly how the sound quality stacks up because I have an ederly couple who live below me at my work apartment and I have been working late this week. I haven't had a chance to crank it up a little yet and have been listening at pretty low volumes. I will say this about it though, the SDA effect is in full force with this album. A lot of the songs, especially the intros have a lot of background sound effects going on and I've been getting as pronounced of a SDA effect with this album as any I've listened to. I can't wait to crank it up!
  • kidglove13
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Thats good to know.
    I need to get this

Alot of their other albums suck on the SDA effect for some reason, Moving Pictures is pretty good on the SDA effect
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Been reading a lot of posts on this over on the Hoffman forum - general consensus is that it's another hot and compressed mess and that the vinyl version is your best bet.....

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • Dawgfish
    edited June 2012
    Options
    That's good to know. I just ordered a copy on vinyl.
  • Toolfan66
    edited June 2012
    Options
    kidglove13 wrote: »
    Thats good to know.
    I need to get this

Alot of their other albums suck on the SDA effect for some reason, Moving Pictures is pretty good on the SDA effect

Suck?? On SDA's?? I personally think they shine on the SDA's especially on vinyl??
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Finally got the album and have listened to it twice. I dig a few songs for sure.

I agree on the compression part... some parts in songs seemed smeared even...
  • kidglove13
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Suck?? On SDA's?? I personally think they shine on the SDA's especially on vinyl??

On vinyl I can see that, but on CD some of the albums just suck sound wise.

But, not all of them, some of them sound awesome on the SDA's

I have not done the vinyl thing yet, working on it.
  • Toolfan66
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I just picked this up on vinyl today it also comes with a download in high quality audio, I will let you all know how it sounds when I download it..

Picked up a few other gems today as well. I have Roxy Music playing now..
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    a download in high quality audio

Is it the CD in FLAC format or an actual hi-res (Higher then CD) copy of the album?
  • Toolfan66
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Not sure but I will post about it when I do..
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Drenis wrote: »
    Is it the CD in FLAC format or an actual hi-res (Higher then CD) copy of the album?

Believe I read at SteveHoffman that it's Redbook not higher res...
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • KYFHO
    KYFHO Posts: 76
    edited June 2012
    Options
    The sound quality is not bad at all. From a fan point of view, this is the best they have put out since Moving Pictures. I really like this album - kind of hard to believe these are 3 guys in their 50's making this awesome music....Kind of makes you appreciate it more.

I have been listening to this album through my PSB headphones and NuForce HDP amplifier and for the most part the recordings are really good. I did notice a few spots where it seemed they went a little overboard with the mix of bass and guitar but overall, it sounds really good compared to a lot of albums I have heard.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I have to wonder if we're listening to the same album. It's not HORRIBLE, but this album is obviously recorded hot and the compression is also pretty obvious. To be clear I'm not commenting on the mix but the actual quality of the recording. The mix is mostly fine and that's why the vinyl version seems to be ok from what I've read, I"d love to hear a proper rip of that version.

I really like the album, probably the best thing they've done in over 30 years.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Oops, duplicate post
  • Dawgfish
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I've finally had a chance to listen to this album at more moderate volumes and the recording sound quality is ok. Definitely not the best I've heard. It's certainly better than the last few albums though. Listening to it in the vehicle over a solid state car system, I really didn't like how it sounded. Now that I've heard it a few times on my work apartment system through a tube pre and tube amp with SDAs, it sounds pretty darn good! Tubes really help out with the slightly hot mix this album was recorded at. I can't wait to hear it on vinyl. I got my copy on vinyl a couple of days ago, but I'm going to have to wait till I get home to GA to spin it on the turntable. I'm really enjoying this album from a musical, song-writing, and overall point of view. I really do think it's one of their best. It's just to bad they can't get someone in the studio with them who actually knows how to record at the level these guys deserve!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Hmmm, I see that HDTracks has this on hi-res. Does anyone know if their version is any good? I wonder if it's a vinyl rip or just a higher rez of the CD version.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Nevermind, the HD Tracks version is squashed as well

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=22223
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Nevermind, the HD Tracks version is squashed as well

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=22223

Betcha it would sound really good on an audiophile MP3 system with earbuds! :cheesygrin:

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I picked up the CD this weekend. The first listen was rather superficial on my part and I thought that it was, well ...ok. Last night I gave another listen to the entire disk more intently with headphones on. It really is a pretty cool album when you get into the story.

Musically, it is amazing that these guys can still lay it down with such incredible energy.
    Stan
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601