PC malware named Windows Privacy Module - Head's Up

Options
apc
apc Posts: 779
edited June 2012 in The Clubhouse
My elderly mother got this nasty malware/virus on her pc recently. It's a **** to remove as it doesn't allow much internet activity, external thumb drives or installation of anything that may attack it. Wouldn't even let me boot in safe mode for a day or so, it actually locked the kybd so I couldn't make a choice when booting.

FWIW, I was able to boot in safe mode with networking once and ran Malwarebytes sw, which removed the problem so far.

Point is to keep trying if you get it. I shut it down completely overnight before it let me boot in safe.

Hope none of you get it. She is a target as most all she does is trade emails with her friends which contain jokes, pictures and videos, etc. A target rich environment for malware.
Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
Post edited by apc on

Comments

• Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited June 2012
    Options
    The spoofed antivirus/security virus is the most common type of virus I am tasked with removing these days. Almost always comes in an email attachment. HijackThis can remove them with minimal effort, but you have to know what you are doing to use it, unlike automatic removal tools.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Yep, I've seen these many times as well. I personally prefer Hitman Pro to deal with these.