SR5250 Staged Install

praedet
praedet Posts: 314
edited July 2012 in Car Audio & Electronics
All right, so I have finally assembled the components to do the 2nd step of my audio install. The first step was a kenwood dnx8120 in the dash. This is all going in a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon.

Step 2:
1. Deaden/soundproof doors and wheel wells
2. Wire for amps and speakers
3. Create the mounting location for the amps/dist block/crossovers
4. Install front speakers

What is going in:
- RaamMat BXT II
- PS Ensolite
- Alpine PDX 4.150 (powering the fronts)
- Alpine PDX 1.1000 (powering the subs, probably not installed yet, but everything ready for it
- Polk Audio SR5250
- Patrick's Spacers
- JL 2 Gauge 2 Amp Wiring kit
- 14 Gauge speaker wire

So, the plan is to completely deaden/soundproof the front doors and run the speaker wires first. Hopefully I can knock that out in a few 2 hour windows. Then I will fabricate the mount for the amps, crossovers, and dist. Block. Run the wiring for the amps. Lastly install the speakers and tune.

Step 3 will be (In the Future):
Homemade fiberglass sub box, or a JL Audio StealthBox depending on my time/laziness. I also might do a JBL MS-8 in the end.

Until I get the MS-8 the SRs are being run coaxially

Ted
HT: Ninja Master LSi9s, Ninja Master LSiC, Slightly Modded LSiFXs, Modded LSi7s, Outlaw LFM-1 EX and Polk PSW125
Outlaw 970 Preamp, Outlaw 7700 Amp, Velodyne SMS-1, Oppo BDP-83,
2 APC H-15s and a Panamax 5400 for good measure ;)
Stereo: DIY Alix Music Server, DODD Audio Battery Tube Buffer, Modded DAC-60 and MF V-Link (for now), DIY Silver ICs, Battery Powered Class D SDS-254 Amp, and GR-Research N2X Speakers
Post edited by praedet on

Comments

• praedet
    edited June 2012
    Here is the planned amp rack from a few views. It will have the dist. block, 2 amps, and 2 cross-overs mounted on it.
    HT: Ninja Master LSi9s, Ninja Master LSiC, Slightly Modded LSiFXs, Modded LSi7s, Outlaw LFM-1 EX and Polk PSW125
    Stereo: DIY Alix Music Server, DODD Audio Battery Tube Buffer, Modded DAC-60 and MF V-Link (for now), DIY Silver ICs, Battery Powered Class D SDS-254 Amp, and GR-Research N2X Speakers
  • praedet
    edited June 2012
    Checking fitment with the real stuff before making cuts...
  • praedet
    edited June 2012
    Sorry for the stream of posts!

So, the amp rack is finished, and would be entirely assembled, but some of the parts in the wiring kit were jacked, so I am waiting on a new kit. I have damped and ensolited half of each front door, just trying out the ease of putting the door off and on ;) I will finish when I run the wires and mount the speakers.

I am also trying out some cool disconnects that get great reviews, but come from the RC world. So, I have made the double wire runs and created the hook-ins for the x-overs...
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited June 2012
    Looking really good, def would like to see more.

One thing I'd throw "out there" - be careful with x-overs and speaker wires being that close to power wires, check to make sure there's no weird noise before proceeding with the rest of the set up.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • praedet
    edited June 2012
    Thanks!

Yeah, I think I will be putting the distro block at the other end of the channel. That way the RCAs and speaker wires come in from the other end. Hopefully that will be enough. I am space limited, so that is the nature of the beast sadly...
  • praedet
    edited July 2012
    Sorry for the blurry pics, you'd think I was drunk! All right, here is what has been working VERY well for about 4 weeks...

The speaker cable for the stealth box is temporary for 3 reasons.

1. I am making a larger gauge/better cable.
    2. The stealthbox is being replaced by JL for cosmetic reasons
    3. I want to install damping material behind the sub and haven't done it yet

Overall, the system sounds great with the headunit doing TA duties running passive x-overs biamped with the speakers set-up as coax. I did route the power cables to the rear of the car, and all speaker/RCAs to the front, so I do not have any noise issues to date (knock on wood)

I am impressed with the sound from the single 10W6, but the PDX amp get VERY hot running it. I don't know if I should get the newer PDX that is slightly smaller, runs cooler, and has more power. Or, I could make a fan system, but that is a lot of work...
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited July 2012
    I'd much rather get newer PDXs if there's budget for them.

Looking really neat btw, do you have any "built" pics?
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • praedet
    edited July 2012
    Have you heard the new ones in comparison to the old? The PDX 4.150 sounds good so far...

What do you mean by "built" pics?