Component installation questions in a 2008 Camry

DaveHCYJ
DaveHCYJ Posts: 89
edited June 2012 in Car Audio & Electronics
I picked up a pair of the MM6501 6.5" component speakers and now I'm wondering how to install them. I thought it was going to be strait forward just mount the tweeter woofer and crossover all together in the door where the existing woofers are.... Then I found out the existing tweeters are up in the dash of the car. I'm guessing there is already a cross over somewhere in the car, but I have no idea where (behind the head unit maybe)?

Anyway, I'm a bit stuck and looking for advice. How do I go about finding the existing crossover? How do I go about wiring the new speakers and running wire to the new crossover and then from it up to the dash for the tweeters and down to the door for the woofers. Anyone done this before in a Camry? Any generic advice for finding wiring/location diagrams?

Thanks,
Dave
Post edited by DaveHCYJ on

Comments

• pentoncm
    pentoncm Posts: 379
    edited June 2012
    I actually recommend against tweeters in the dash. Are they pointed up towards the windshield? If you don't have time alignment, then it is better to keep the tweeter closer to the mid for phase issues.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • DaveHCYJ
    edited June 2012
    Yes, they are in the dash aimed at the windshield. My choice is either that or use the bracket that came with the component set to mount it "in the woofer" (see product link http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/mm/index.php?s=mm6501 ). If I mount it in the woofer it will be down by my feet aimed into the side of my seat. I think its a choice of which is worse...

The choice of mounting location doesn't nessisarily address my challenge of figuring out where (if it has one?) the factory crossover is located -- if only the low frequencies are making it to the door woofer, mounting the tweeter there won't really do anything.
  • pentoncm
    edited June 2012
    I have the 6501's, there is no bracket to mount them on the woofer. Only the SR6500s were like that. They come with a surface/flush mount cup that you can use to mount it anywhere you like. I'm not sure where the crossover would be or if the mid in the door even has a crossover on it. You don't need to protect mids from high frequencies, you can just let them roll off (though this is not always ideal). I'm not sure where the tweeter crossover will be. Where are you going to mount the polk crossover?
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • DaveHCYJ
    edited June 2012
    Check the product page for the 6501 and look at the pictures -- they have a bracket to mount the tweeter in front of the woofer (or at least mine came with the bracket).

After I got the car all taken appart I found the components. The crossover was mounted on the back of the tweeter, it was a little tiny cheap thing; there was an output from the tweeter that then ran down to the door for the woofer. I ended up just doing this same thing. There was enough room under the tweeter location to place the polk crossover, so I put it there.

I ended up making a mounting bracket out of the old factory tweeter. I cut the magnet off and ripped out the paper cone; I then glued the polk flush mount cup into where the paper cone of the factory tweeter had been, essentially augmenting it with a metal bracket which fit the car's mounting screw locations. So I've got my tweeters and crossovers up in the dash and then I used the factory car wiring which ran down to the door for the woofer.

Huge improvement in sound -- I'm really excited. More importantly my wife is excited (its her car), which helps justify the LSiM's I bought for the living room :-)
  • pentoncm
    edited June 2012
    That is not a bracket, that is just the grille.

Anyway I would recommend trying the -3db setting on the tweeters for a more natural sound. Also, try reversing the polarity of the tweeters respective to the woofers to see if they blend better ( because they are so far from the mids there is a large difference it takes for the sound to get to your ears).
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50