DB6500 size

BeakerAZ
BeakerAZ Posts: 7
edited November 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I recently bought a set of db6500's on ebay. I notice that the diameter of the outer rims on the woofers are 6 1/4". This may require some modification on my part to make them work now as they flop around in the 6 1/2" recess of my enclosure.

Is this normal? Is it like 2x4's not being 2" by 4" anymore? This is the first component set I've used so forgive my ignorance.
Post edited by BeakerAZ on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited October 2003
    *scratching head* -- i thought they only came in 6 1/2 and 6 3/4 inch varieties for "six inch" speakers...

didn't know the world had 6 1/4's.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • BeakerAZ
    edited October 2003
    They came in factory packaging, and look exactly like what's shown here so I wasn't sent the wrong speakers. They are speced as 6 1/2" but when measured the woofer is 6 1/4"
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited October 2003
    Is the woofer cone 6.25 inches or is it the mounting ring that is 6.25 inches? The woofer cone may be less than 6.5" but the mounting ring is most likely 6.5".

Seems to me that you have a 6.5" speaker and 6.75" holes. The speaker is not under-sized. What kind of car are you mounting these speakers in? What location are you mounting these in?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • BeakerAZ
    edited October 2003
    When I measure across the flat top of the speaker from the outside of the metal ring to the outside of the metal ring on the other side I get 6 1/4"

I understand that a 6 1/2" speaker can't have a 6 1/2" cone, there'd be nothing to mount it with.

I will be mounting these in the door of a 1992 Nissan 300ZX. The Z's came with Bose systems then. The Bose drivers are little 3 1/2" things very similar to the drivers you see in a 901 series home speaker. They are in an enormous plastic enclosure that also houses a small amp for the driver.

Needless to say, Bose are gimicky in car audio and when they fail they are expensive to repair. Nissan makes an adapter bracket to mount standard 6 1/2" speakers in for the people who wisely choose to gut the Bose and that's what I put in. The bracket looks like this:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/z32_audio.html

I know it says for 5 1/2 or 6" speakers but my 6 1/2" Alpine coaxials dropped right in.

The rear adapter brackets are made to hold 4x6" speakers in them and I have a set of Infinity Kappa 462.5cfp's in there now. It's hard to find a 4x6 that will handle 50rms or better but those are spec'd for it. They don't, however, withstand my preferred volumes so I am going to option B. The 1990 and only the '90 Z had rear Bose enclosures that accept a 6 1/2" speaker. I purchased a set I found on ebay and they look like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=38646&item=2431439547

These enclosures are sitting on the bench in my garage. I was curious and wanted to ensure that I wouldn't have any problems with mounting depth with aftermarket speakers as one side seemed a tad shallow. That is when I noticed the diameter discrepancy.

At first I thought they may hold 6 3/4" speakers and I measured the recessed area where the speaker sits. It measured at 6 1/2" and that is when I measured the woofer of the db6500 and saw that it was 6 1/4".

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to fully explain how I got here. I also wanted to make sure that you knew that while I'm not an audio expert, I do have some idea of what I'm doing. So I'm curious about a couple of possibilites:

Do the db6500's really have 6 1/4" woofers even though the system is specified as 6 1/2"?

Was there an older version that was sized this way and that's why I found it on ebay?

I can't imagine someone would go to the trouble to counterfeit a set of speakers, these have the weave pattern on the woofer cone, the db printed in the center of the cone, and the db6500 sticker on the back of the magnet. It was in factory packaging and as we all know, it takes Rainman to to get things re-packaged in the factory box when we need to return things. This is the auction that I got them from just to avoid confusion:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3052563829&category=32819&rd=1

I'm sure I will be able to mount them and will enjoy them, but I hope you can understand my confusion. If anyone else has a set of these, are they really 6 1/4"?

Thank you for the responses and all your help on this.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited October 2003
    Are you positive that you did not get 5.25 inch speakers?

It just seems very odd that the size issue is what it is.

I think you should get Polk customer service on the phone and see what is up.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • BeakerAZ
    edited November 2003
    I put the db 6500's in the doors, replacing the low end Alpines that were in there. They mounted right in. The "6 1/2" Alpines measured 6 1/4 across the tops too. The only logical explanation I have is that the manufacturers are calling out the speaker size according to the diameter of the grills, not the diameter of the speakers. Since I have mine behind stock grills, the grill size is unimportant to me.

I could complain about the rear Bose enclosures being too big for 6 1/2's but since I was able to put db 675's in there instead I'm a happy camper.

They are being pushed at 50rms with a Fosgate Punch 400 and they sound great. Very clear and now I have better mid response from the rear arter changing from the Kappa 4x6's.

Next when time allows, I'll do something about the bass. Currently I have a Basooka tube in the hatch. Not the best solution but I needed something I can remove when I need to carry stuff. In the future it will be a JL audio stealth box, sits under the hatch carpet meaning no room eaten by the sub. That will require a different amp, I'm thinking of the Alpine FV540. It'd still give me the 50x4rms with a 5th channel for the sub in one amp, no power blocks required. It won't be a show system, but even now with a little Basooka 8" tube it sounds very nice.

Thanks to all who responded.
  • BeakerAZ
    edited November 2003
    For the amp I meant the F450
  • DREW-P
    DREW-P Posts: 3
    edited November 2003
    i have the same problem....i replaced my front door speakers that are 6 1/2's and the mounting bracket was too small to fit in where the old 6 1/2's came out of....but mine were the co-axials but it's still the same prob....why do they do this???? to make you buy another part to make them fit???? that's not smart if that's why
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2003
    You should see the Momo 6x9's! I bought them and came running home ready to drop them into my exsisting 6x9 holes where I had a pair of Infinity Refernece 6x9 (sucked!!!). Well these things are the size of a football!!! The basket is freaking huge! I was outside cutting, prying and squeezing for about 2 hours! Finally they went in! Then I realized the window gear rubbed them so I had to pull them out and go back to prying, bending, cussing and cutting and finally they fit with virtually no rubbing! Phew!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing