looking at Advent Laurent speakers

leftwinger57
leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
edited May 2012 in Speakers
Hi guys again I was looking aound and notice a recent prolifieration of the Advent Laurent Tower speakers.I do like the look of thes Advents as some have that bullnose front and a basic design of a slim line tower.Why now these are showing in the multiples I have no idea but are they wothy speaker or just a sideways move and not a step up.If decent enough I would keep the Bose 601s ditch the Infintys and go for somthing like the Avents or those Wharfdales that I saw months and had not moved so maybe I could get them cheaper thay the $300 he originally asked for because as I see it they are just taking up floor space and a good arguement in my favor is that they haven't moved in quite a few months.
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
Post edited by leftwinger57 on

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited May 2012
    not sure i can answer your question. but i had some advent smaller towers as2's and they were a very pleasant sounding speaker. they did the job very well. good luck on your decission making
    Randy/Maine
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2012
    Really past the heyday of Advent there. Probably sound OK, but nothing special. I remember these from my grad school days, maybe late '80s? Or somewhere around there.

More of a lateral move, I'd say!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited May 2012
    Smoother highs, better control of the bass notes and nicer looking than all the speakers you have now.

I would ditch the infinity's for those in a heartbeat.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited May 2012
    If memory serves me correctly, I actually prefered the Infinity sm over the Advent Laurent back in the day. Is that the one with 2 woofers or a single woofer? If i am not mistaken, to me the highs were a little muddy or faded. I had a set of sm 112's and then the sm 150 and i prefered both over the laurent.

Just looked up a pic of them yep that is the one. If memeory serves me correctly, Service merchandise actually carried them for like 350 or 400 a pair back in the 80's. there is a set on ebay for 150 right now. If memory served me correctly they are the smaller one of the 2 of that series, one with 2 6.5" or 8" and the other i think had 2 8 or 10".

Remember I am going off something i had and heard like 25+ years ago. So if my memory serves me right, your 112 will have more bass, better vocals, and higher highs, the advent will sound a little muddy next to your infinity's. I know the sm series have a reputation of "vega wannabe" but for how cheap you can pick up the 112's or the 150's, there not that bad.

BTW the bose 601, isnt that the dual woofer and 4 tweeters? if memory serves me right, again, the 601's didnt sound bad at all. I had friends that would change out the tweeters in them and get some darn good results. Just have to watch woofer rot on all the speakers mentioned above ( infinity, advent or the bose)

I personally dont think you are going a step up or even sideways. In my opinion, its a step down in sound. Maybe not by " reputation" but in sound.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • leftwinger57
    edited May 2012
    YES ,your memory is still intact.The Bose 601s series 1 have 2 8in woofers 1 top fireing and the other front facing w/ a port that the other series do not have.The tweeters are on these metal stands for lack of a better word and also arrayed to fire up and front.They also have a slide switch on the backs for what they call symetrical or asymetrical sound which helps in the placeing.Personally I tried both settings and I couldn't tell any difference. I refoamed them and they do need more power than the Infinitys but there is no question that the Bose are way better,also my Adcom can handle them w/ ease.I do think I'll stay away from the Advents but there is a pair of OHM/WALSH 2S for $300 and change at a bin price on the Bay.I always liked both the look and the omni directional aspect of them and when I asked for opinions of them they were liked pretty much across the board here at cp.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited May 2012
    Are you referring to the Advent Laureate speakers? The small towers from the early 90s with pecan veneer? I have a pair of the big brothers, the Heritage. I like them a lot, very smooth and detailed highs without brightness, clear mids and tight, controlled bass. My pair is in need of a re-foam, but they're not going anywhere.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited May 2012
    I am with you Big Dawg, I have heard plenty of Advents to know that I like there sound. I have never heard muddy highs from them.

Been thinking about building a HT setup for the bedroom with a pair of Heritage for mains and some baby advents for surround duty.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2012
    Is this what we're talking about? I think Big Dawg is right. These were "very popular" back in the early 90s or so. I knew a number of people who really felt Advents where the ticket. But I still say they were just OK to my ears. Maybe the problem was that so many from that time period powered their speakers with cheap Japanese AVRs or something similar? So I can't say I've heard these on a primo amp!

But here are some pics--I myself, decided to pick up a pair of db-Plus bookies back then--they featured that polycell foam tweeter which was actually not bad--blew away just about every other mass speaker maker in the store in the early '90s. Still have them. Probably need a refoam by now--subsidiary of Energy (Canadian). Better detail than the equivalent Advent up top.

cnh

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • leftwinger57
    edited May 2012
    Those are the ones I was talking about. In terms of looks I like the tower design and from what I've heard Advents were a decent to better speaker in their day.Oh yea I reread my original post and I must apologise for the really losey grammar and mispellings.Again I saw a few sets of these in what appears to be great shape at all different prices.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited May 2012
    I know this is a silly question LW, but if your going to spend 300 bones, why not look for a used pair of RTIA 7's ? I've seen the 9's go for 450 used. I think the 7's would knock the snot out of anything your looking at. Just my .02
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • leftwinger57
    edited May 2012
    I honestly never heard any of the larger Polks .My 2 main concerns are money and space .Now I did see a beautiful pair of I think were RT12s and would be interested in something like that .I think as good as the SDAs are they appear to be wide and the ones w/ the bonding cable just wouldn't work in my apt.I wish I had a freaking camera so you dudes could see what I'm dealing w/ in terms of placement.I do again have to agree that the Infinitys are so thin sounding compared to the Boses that they would go for sure.

• leftwinger57
    edited May 2012
    To be absolutely correct on the model,I was wrong.The pair are RTA 11 towers for a bin price of $400.Very good looking speakers but for now still a little to rich for me.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited May 2012
    I used to sell that line of Advents in the late 80's early 90's. Far cry from the heydey of Advent, not too terrible a line of speakers but overpriced, IMO. RTiA 7's and especially the RTA11 will walk all over those. I agree $400 for RTA11's is robbery.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • leftwinger57
    edited May 2012
    Thanks ,I also thought they are to high.What I need is a find like the Boses or a very desperate person on c/l.
    OH H9 I can't believe you have close to 20,000 posts.That's alot of free advice and opinions,very cool...

• rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    edited May 2012
    How about getting some large advents? I have two pairs and truly are worthy of the hype! I am also sure you can find them cheap.
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything