What is CC smoking!!!

Options
mark g. nelson
mark g. nelson Posts: 134
edited November 2003 in Speakers
Last night I went to CC to get my copy of Indiana Jones. while I was there I checked to see if the new Polks were in.

This is what I found in the sound room.

one RTi10 in the corner. it was not hooked up grill missing. they also had the CSi5 on a shelf, I liked it until I read the price 479.00.

I then looked at the speakers that were playing in the prime selling location in the room. Sony. at 800.00 a pair.

I then was asked if I would like to take the sonys home by a Maybe 18 year old salesman. I said No in a damn hurry. I then asked why there best speakers are in the corner and were was the other one. He didn't know. I then asked him why they wanted 479.00 for the center( Cruthfield wants 399 for it). He said that Polk raised the price. I told him that was a joke because Polk had lowered most of it's list prices for this line. He then said that my info. was wrong and I wouldn't these kinds of things before the retailers did because it is such a new product. I then said that I find most consumers that do their home work before they buy know more then their sales people. I left after that.

All I have to say is that it is sad to see such a good product sold in this fashion. Polk deserves better!!
Post edited by mark g. nelson on

Comments

• wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited October 2003
    Options
    You can say the same for Fry's. Brand new rti12s flanking a beautiful flat panel-being driven by a pukey little 90 W/ch Yamaha. They sounded terrible!
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I like to play know-how games with some of those goofy sales people at CC and BB. I ask a bunch of questions to which I already know the answers, just to see how much they DON'T know, which is usually a LOT! It's quite entertaining! I highly recommend this feel-good activity every once in a while. ;)
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited October 2003
    Options
    It's also fun to listen to some of the BS that some uninformed salespeople try to lay on uninformed customers.
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thanks to this forum i have learned alot and i ask ALOT of questions i just learned in here and these guys are a joke. Where do they find these guys??:confused:
    Life without music would
  • wrxmy02
    wrxmy02 Posts: 92
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Just took a gander at the "polk" room at my local CC ..They ask what spaekers I had ..LSI7 I said CC guy said "humm we don't have these anymore must be old..want to upgrade? Just rolled my eyes and shook my head ...wasnt going to take the time.
    Front: LSI7
    Center: LSIC
    Surrounds: LSI7
    SVS PB2-ISD SUB [MONOLITH!]
    ATI 1805 Amp
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by wrxmy02
    Just took a gander at the "polk" room at my local CC ..They ask what spaekers I had ..LSI7 I said CC guy said "humm we don't have these anymore must be old..want to upgrade?

sad, isn't it? especially when they are proud of their ignorance...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited October 2003
    Options
    whenever u want them to do something, just say the guys at the other CC said it was ok...thats what i did, turned rti100s into rti150s, and then turned rti150s into rti70s' fxi30s and a csi40. pretty slick huh?
  • scornful
    scornful Posts: 272
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Most people working at Short Circuit are on crack.... but remember, most people wouldnt know a line of crap when they hear it. Bout like the manager telling me the other day that Crutchfield was selling "refurbished" Polks. (I tried to price match the CSi40 @ $299) Makes you wonder why they dont sell LSi's... I bet Polk is a little more picky about who they LET sell them.
    Denon 3802
    B&K 7270
    Outlaw ICBM
    Behringer DSP1124P
    Samson S1000
    SVS 20-39CS+ (x2)
    RTi150's
    CSi40
    FXi30's
    RTi38's
    Win Vista HTPC
    InFocus 4805 ~100" Screen
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by GZ
    It's also fun to listen to some of the BS that some uninformed salespeople try to lay on uninformed customers.

You got that right! I love listening to their BS. If/when the "salesperson" leaves, if I feel up to it, I go over to their potential "customer" and REALLY help them out!
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Yeah, it's the poor uninformed customer I sort of feel sorry for. They think that just 'cause the person works there, they know what they're talking about. I know alot of salespeople who actually know there stuff, but they don't work places like CC or BB.
  • KeithV
    KeithV Posts: 107
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I work in the entertainment department at a CC, it really saddens me that so many of you have such negative expirences with alot of us. We did lose alot of very knowledgeable people when we went to hourly, and it's sad to say but I pretty much know more about home a/v and computers than anyone else in my store.
  • scornful
    scornful Posts: 272
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Keith,
    We dont mean to imply that all CC employees are less than par. You just gotta laugh at some of the antics you see. Especially the guy that knows "more than you". If I dont know then I dont know and will admit it. I dont try to pass myself off as alot of sales guys do in most places.... not just CC.
    Denon 3802
    B&K 7270
    Outlaw ICBM
    Behringer DSP1124P
    Samson S1000
    SVS 20-39CS+ (x2)
    RTi150's
    CSi40
    FXi30's
    RTi38's
    Win Vista HTPC
    InFocus 4805 ~100" Screen
  • KeithV
    KeithV Posts: 107
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by scornful
    Keith,
    We dont mean to imply that all CC employees are less than par. You just gotta laugh at some of the antics you see. Especially the guy that knows "more than you". If I dont know then I dont know and will admit it. I dont try to pass myself off as alot of sales guys do in most places.... not just CC.

I agree with you, Im just saying it's a shame that all the training they give is about selling more expensive product; not to create knowledge associates.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2003
    Options
    well i don't work for CC or BB or any other audio store, but. you can't blame the customer service employees.. blame the managers if you want to blame someone. why not hook up the nicest set of Polks in the showroom and drive it with the best receiver they carry? It's just common sense.. that if somone hears a good sounding set up.. they are more likely to buy it..

esp if it's priced higher than they originally wanted to spend. everyone wins that way. CC sells more upper end that they carry. Instead of the $200 receiver.. you would have customers leaving the building with $900 receivers.. instead of leaving with a home theater in a box for $299. The customer spends $1600 on a whole speaker system. It's a win, win for both.. the consumer get a great sounding sysytem.. and CC or BB sells more expensive gear.

the logic behind shops like BB and CC just stumps me. Once again.. 'im not complaining about the employees... but the managment. (sorry if I offend any managers out there).
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Oh yeah i totally understand where you are coming from. I meant that whatever setup CC has in the showroom would be only gear that is available to purchase there at the store. I highly doubt CC would have ever carried the PSW1200. You are correct.. the market for such a beast would be prettty dang small. Like .05% of the market would even be interested in it.

I guess my point is this.. why not put your best foot forward if you're in the sales industry? Most of us hate Bose right? We don't care for their sound, their small cube speakers.. etc. but, they are marketing geniouses when it comes to selling speakers, right? that's the theory behind great selling techniques, get the word out about your product.. and people will buy it. Unless it really sucks.

Your point is well taken. I understand that some or most of the folks that shop at CC and BB respectively are more of your casual listener... not looking for high end sound.

I truely wonder if when the average customer who walks into one of those stores.. has done any homework on the products he's looking to purchase? You and I do, but does Joe Beercan ?
    (sorry if I offended any beercans out there) :p or guys named Joe
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by KeithV
    I work in the entertainment department at a CC

This has to be 1 of the most dangerous jobs in the US.

I lost my bolts at the CC off of I70 and MO RT291. When I have purchased every protection plan with every buy i was pissed when they said your going home with NO HDTV. ****!!! I said:cool: and the poor kid saw HBomb PISSED! I went as far as to say, "I care not to hear you speak unless your calling a manager", and he did just that! I apologized later for my lapse in control but I walked out with a brand new Zenith520.:D

Twin :p
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • dan t
    dan t Posts: 206
    edited October 2003
    Options
    This is what you can expect from Circuit City and Good Guys and the rest. The days of Polks being sold in High End Stores are over! Bye bye SRS, Monitor and RTA's..bye bye.

Dan
  • eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    Danger,

Oh I agree 100 percent there buddy. Putting the best foot foward is vital in my opinion. But CC and its vendors tend to be in a 69 position with one another.

And yes, the average customer thinks a home theater in a box system is the way to go. Headache of my life..

69! hehehe 69! hehehe
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • jones12
    jones12 Posts: 20
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Stop by one of the CC here in San Antonio to check on the new line. They had one rti10 in the back of the store & a pair of rti6 on display. I asked about the new line in the cherry finish & the salesman told me that, "They(CC) would only be getting the black finish & best buy would be getting the cherry. Check back in about a week." I said thanks for the heads up & walked away.
    TV-Samsung HLN5065W DLP
    Denon AVR-1803
    Denon 2910 dvd player
    Sony CE-345 CD Player
    Philips CDR770 CD recorder
    Center-CSI30
    Fronts-rti38
    Surrounds-RM6200
    Sub-PSW202
  • eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    HAHAHAHA.. Best Buy dont carry Polk. Hell i seen the Rti8,Rti10 in cherry at CC and the Csi5 in black.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited October 2003
    Options
    As a CC home audio department insider....

Most CC employees won't know details about Polk specifically unless they own them. We (CC employees) are expected to learn about all of the merchandise in home audio, which takes a LOT of time. Also we do lots of computer training on all aspects of the store which takes a LOT of time. So basically, it is a long learning curve. 90% of the employees I know have been at the store less than 6 months.

Yes, those brand new Sonys are mediocre and priced the same as Polks. I recommend to people to buy the Polks, but they still buy the Sony's because of looks. And no I don't understand why people would buy a speaker with a "basket weave" diaphragm. But the fact is that the Sonys did start selling within 15 minutes of putting them on display.

Most of the customers that come in are clueless about home theater systems. They see a home theater in a box (HTIB) for 400 bucks and think "What a great deal."

So, unfortunately I have the displeasure of knowing that more HTIB's are on the way....
  • mwhip
    mwhip Posts: 31
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by wlrandall
    You can say the same for Fry's. Brand new rti12s flanking a beautiful flat panel-being driven by a pukey little 90 W/ch Yamaha. They sounded terrible!

I went to the Fry's by my hosue last night to check out the Rti10 and Rti12's. They were flanking a flant panel, but they were hooked up to a $1200 Onkyo receiver. Both pair sounded sweet. I am going to wait a year for the price to drop on the 10's before I buy. I may buy the CSi5 sooner though.
    7.1!!!
    2 R30's
    4 RT15i's
    CS245i
    Aiwa Sub
    Pioneer VSX-D912k
    Philips HDTV - 50PP9202
  • RVJII
    RVJII Posts: 167
    edited November 2003
    Options
    mwhip...

Do you happen to know which Onkyo they had driving those RTi12's? I am in the process of building my new system and am having to stage my purchases over time. I just ordered a pair of RTi12's and am going to be running them on an $1500 Onkyo TX-NR900 for awhile. It is class-A power and I have been happy with it on my older JBL's. Somtime down the line I may go with a bi-amp setup but I'd like to hold off on that for awhile. I'd like to get one of those new Samsung DLP TV's first.
    A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...
  • mwhip
    mwhip Posts: 31
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RVJII
    mwhip...

Do you happen to know which Onkyo they had driving those RTi12's? I am in the process of building my new system and am having to stage my purchases over time. I just ordered a pair of RTi12's and am going to be running them on an $1500 Onkyo TX-NR900 for awhile. It is class-A power and I have been happy with it on my older JBL's. Somtime down the line I may go with a bi-amp setup but I'd like to hold off on that for awhile. I'd like to get one of those new Samsung DLP TV's first.

I just looked at Onkyo's site. I think it was the TX-SR601, but that price can not be right. The one they had out was silver, and did not have THX. So I think they had the wrong price sign out.
    7.1!!!
    2 R30's
    4 RT15i's
    CS245i
    Aiwa Sub
    Pioneer VSX-D912k
    Philips HDTV - 50PP9202
  • RVJII
    RVJII Posts: 167
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Thanks! A couple people have indicated that my Onkyo won't have what it takes to power the 12's and I was pretty worried. I have actually spoken to both Polk and Onkyo and they both agree that there shouldn't be a problem.

Of course, I would eventually like to go with a bi-amp set up (maybe Adcom) but for now it sounds like I should be ok. Right now I just can't justify the $$$$'s that it would cost to upgrade the whole system at once.

Nice to know that the 601 sounded good. Gives me some hope that my 900 will do just fine until I can add the extra amp.
    A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Jones12....Welomce another S.A. Polkster!!!
    wich store did you go to? The one by North Star Mall has the best selection/sound rooms...but unfortunatly...they have no clue as to what they are doing there! All the good ones were let go when they went to hourly...or they quit right before it!

The Stores are set up per "Directors" orders...they have a sheet layout tells them exactly how each peice is to be set up! If a director comes in and its not that way..there is hell to pay...so thats one reason thier rooms are not up to "our" standards.... those who dont know making the decisions.

Our local store was just remodeled....its now like a mini BB...I hate BB and CC is getting on my nerves!....too bad we only have one other store..Bjorns...and most of that is the good stuff that most cant afford...

you would think with over a million + mega millitary folk..we'd have some better stores!
    Heck..Austin has 5x the audio habbitats we do... :eek: