Yikes! Will I be ok?

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
My friend was sitting in my car and cranked up the volume to near max and the gain all the way up on the amp for my brand new sub (only been played for 2 hours now) for about 30 seconds before I could get him to turn it down. Obviously since its not broken in, is there any significant risk to it being damaged? How can I tell if its been damaged at all? Thanks
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Just listen to it. If it sounds different...muffled, hollow, crackly... if when you turn the volume up and it sounds like it's pushing air... I dunno, if it sounds like utter crap when you turn it up then yes there is damage. My guess would be if it was only for 30 seconds you won't have a problem. I cranked my first pair of Momo's right out of the box for more than a week, and the sub died about a month later (even then the cone just hit on a bar on my seat and cracked).
    "The Big C"
  • Systems
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Ohh good. It sounds fine. One last question about breaking it in: I heard that you should push it at least a little bit when breaking it in.. Would enough to "feel" it and hear it well be too hard when breaking it in? I still want to enjoy this sub while breaking it in. The worst thing is having a sub and not being able to enjoy its musical splendor. Thanks again =)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • C-Man
    edited October 2003
    Options
    How much power are you running to the sub?
    If you're doing around 500 watts, my method would be to put the gain on the amp around 1/4 of the way up, or maybe a little less and play it for 10 hours or so. After that turn it up to about a third... then half... then 2/3 or whatever you want the max gain to be at. Worked very well with my old Fosgate sub. The sub I have now was entered into a competition like 3 days after I got it. Needless to say I was bad and didn't break it in at all, but I got lucky and it didn't break down on me.
    Just make sure you advance that gain slowly... too much too soon and you could have problems. But by 40 hours you should be good to go.
    Oh and with this method you'll wanna have the hu cranked pretty high so that you are at least feeding this power to the sub... I think you probably know what I mean... listen to your music at normal listening levels, you should be able to hear the sub at the lower gain levels, but it won't be earth shattering bass. If you have the Head unit too low and the sub's not moving, you might as well just have it off.
    "The Big C"
  • Systems
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I'm giving it about 320watts rms (it can handle up to 350) I've got the gain at 2/3 but I've got the sub controls on the HU so I've got it turned down there instead.. Is that fine? Haha, ignorance isn't bliss in this case. I feel like a goober. Thanks once again.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • C-Man
    edited October 2003
    Options
    You should be ok.... Which sub do you have? I'm just interested in what your system is. Which amp?
    "The Big C"
  • Systems
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Its an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1d with a Profile CA400M amp (320rms @ 2ohms)....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing