Fixing the null

pentoncm
pentoncm Posts: 379
edited May 2012 in Car Audio & Electronics
left speaker.jpg
right speaker.jpg
I've been going back and forth with my EQ for a while now, 95% of it sounds nice and balanced between the left and right. I've struggled with the 400 to 800Hz for a while now. I thought that it was more common for the null in the 400-500Hz area to be worse on the far side than the near side. I think that I hear the opposite in my car, currently I have my bands on the near side for 400 and 500Hz set at 0db. The far side sounds just about right setting those same bands at -1db each. On the far side with the 400 and 500Hz bands set any higher, it sounds like the vocals stand out above the instruments, at -1db they seem to blend really well. Bottom line it sounds much better now that I've moved to these new settings. My mistake was that I was tuning with my eyes instead of my ears :eek:

Have you guys ever experienced anything like this? It probably has a lot to do with speaker aiming and the interior of the car, and how far the speakers are down on the door panel.
Audison Bit Ten
Kenwood X595
Polk MM6501
Polk MM1240
Mtx 704x
Alpine MRX50
Post edited by pentoncm on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited May 2012
    400-500 hz is a woofer issue. If you have an spl meter, or an spl app on your phone, use the test tones to see which side is hotter in the 300-600 range. You will know you have this range right once your imaging gets clearer. Fundamentals and early harmonics of a lot of instruments and vocals are in this range