SR 6500 I am not impressed

grizzly42
grizzly42 Posts: 9
edited June 2012 in Car Audio & Electronics
Installed a second hand SR 6500 Set in connection with Alpine CDA 117Ri Headunit. Car is a Honda Accord Diesel 2005. Doors in and outside "made" or better "dampened"with Alubutyl (sorry my bad English). Amplifier ist a Mosconi Gladen 120.2 with 2x 130 RMS.
Read so much positive about this SR 6500's but I am really not impressed. Maybe something went wrong but what? Guess the original Radio sounded as good before, yes less power but the sound is not better now :sad:
Also did this "AlpineSoundParameterSetting" but I am not amazed still ...
Post edited by grizzly42 on

Comments

• grizzly42
    edited May 2012
    Listen to several kinds of music. Jazzrock, blues, rock, pop, etc.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited May 2012
    have the speakers been broken in yet or is this just hooked up and reviewed?
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited May 2012
    What exactly you are not happy with? Bass? midrange? clarity? volume? noise?
    Also - what other speakers did you have/use in past?
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • grizzly42
    edited May 2012
    @Toxis
    Speakers should be broken in, bought it second hand and they've been built in and used before. But they are (visible) in a very good condition, looks like from the factory.
    @Vital
    Yes, I'ld describe it as the "clarity" and there is some like "hissing" (sorry, I'm not native speaker). Tweeters set on -1db with the jumpers but did'nt try other settings (left this setting from the previous owner).

I'll try to remove the inside cover of the doors next time for exluding maybe vibrations from those covers. In the past I had only the speakers which was built in by Honda, guess "made in China ones" 13cm speakers with tweeters under the front window.
    But the Polk speakers are stable installed on "mdf" rings and as I wrote, doors outer and inner "steel sheets" all isolated fully with 2,2 mm "alubutyl". But between the inner covers I did nothing , maybe it'ld be good to give something like "cellular" between?

In the "very past", beginning of the eighties my first and last car audio with amplifier was a "pioneer multi pure set" ;-)
    Since those, my "young times" I used only the factory built in audio sets.

The "Mosconi Gladen One 120.2" amplifier had an award 2011 from a german audio publisher :(
  • grizzly42
    edited May 2012
  • mystik610
    mystik610 Posts: 699
    edited May 2012
    How are your tweeters positioned? The vifa ring radiator tweeter is great, but is extremely directional.
    My System Showcase!

Media Room
    Paradigm Studio 60 - Paradigm CC-690 - Paradigm ADP-390 - Epik Empire - Anthem MRX300 - Emotiva XPA-5

Living-room
    Paradigm MilleniaOne - Rythmik F12GSE - Onkyo TX-SR805 - Adcom 5400

Headphones
    Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear - Shure SE215 - Fiio E18 Kunlun
  • grizzly42
    edited May 2012
    As You can see on the second picture, in the corners where the mirrors are. And they don't show yet in my direction more direction steering wheel. The factory ones from Honda was showing to the front window so I thought it's not so important.
  • grizzly42
    edited May 2012
    @DSkip
    So You think, I should "direct" them to my head. I'll do that coming weekend.

Is there any professional manual how to "line up" amplifiers and subwoofer?

Edit: Subwoofer is this closed Box from JL: LINK
  • grizzly42
    edited May 2012
    Good news from me.
    I had a little "ground fault" in my speaker wires. Speakers mute when I turned volume over "20" about on my Alpine 117Ri headunit. This I resolved today, reason was a piece of "alubutyl" which had contact to the speakers connections.
    And it seems to me, that speakers wasn't broken in cause they get better and better. (They also looked "than right out from the factory", even the seller told me on the telephone they've built in before, maybe not very long ???)
    Tweeters I didn't position yet now, but I'll do sometimes next few weeks.
    Now I am impressed from the bass power, the polks have - amazing. Maybe I miss a bit some "mids" but yet have to set the soundfield on my Alpine unit. Wouldn't need the JL Bassbox I guess.
    By the way, do You think I have better bass power from the rear if I remove one of the factory speakers in the rear (cause there's than a "hole" to the rear trunk where the box is located)?
    Set Subpower in my Headunit to "11" of "15" max. possible.
    Tweeters set now to -3 db, -1 seemed me very "present", sorry my bad English all over there, not native ...

Edit: also have to make the "soundfield" settings on my Alpine but wait for new connectors for the batterie before, because those I have are poor (do not fit properly).
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited May 2012
    The SR's are very nice sounding speakers. It's a good thing you found the problem. Once you get them dialed in you will really appreciate them.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • grizzly42
    edited June 2012
    Now some time has gone, I still did'nt position my Tweeters allright but did the "soundfield settings" on my alpine hu. And I must confess, the SR6500 are "very nice" speakers! And now I am impressed, really! :smile:
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2012
    Glad to hear it. I have always believed that the SR mids are among the best mids on the planet and can compete side by side with anything on the market. They take a little tweaking sometimes to get them to sound their best but its definitely worth the effort.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • pentoncm
    pentoncm Posts: 379
    edited June 2012
    Mac, you might like the Arc Audio Black series drivers. They were designed by SB (former Scanspeak engineers) and they are much easier to use than Scanspeak drivers as they are made for IB. PASMAG gave them very high marks.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50