My Latest score.

Options
Dawgfish
Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
edited May 2012 in Vintage Speakers
Howdy y'all,

I just wanted to show y'all some pictures of my latest score. I found these in New Orleans yesterday and paid $375 for them, which I think is a steal. Let's play a game. Anybody want to guess what they are? I know somebody will guess in 5 minutes, but I just don't see these things come up to often. Anyways I'm going to upgrade the crossovers and completely go through these things and trick them out.
Post edited by Dawgfish on

Comments

• leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Nice SRS2's. Sold my pair for $650ish 2 years ago.
  • Dawgfish
    edited April 2012
    Options
    We have a winner. How did you like 'em? Unfortunately I am working away from home on a long-term job assignment and don't have my system with me. I have an elderly couple who lives in the apartment below me here where I'm staying at while working, so I don't want to hook the system up at the apartment. I'll be evicted in a day! I haven't hear these yet. The good thing is, these will give me something to do in the evenings at the apartment after work. I'm going to completely go through everything i.e upgrade the crossovers, add some of Larry's rings if available, mortite and treat the drivers and cabinets, put a good set of spikes on, polish the wood, etc. over the next month or two and then take them home and hook them up to the system. I'm going to wait to replace the SL-2000 tweets until I hear it in the system. I've heard from several folks that the SL-2000s are not as bad in all of the SRS SDA's, plus I'm running tube gear so maybe they wont be to bright. If they are, I'll throw some RDO-194s in them. This should be fun.
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I liked them alot. Nice wide soundstage and deep tight bass. Haven't owned SDA's in 2 years and thinking its time to own another pair. Something small like the 2b's or CRS's.

Congrats and enjoy.
  • nhhiep
    nhhiep Posts: 877
    edited April 2012
    Options
    My experience with SL2000s is that they are very good for hiphop/rap music. I replaced them recently with Rd194s. 194s are smoother, better with jazz, classical music. Surprisingly, RD194s sound very similar to the tweeters in my Lsi9s.

So, it depends on what you're listening to.
  • Dawgfish
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I had a set of SDA-1Cs with the RDO-194s that I liked a lot. I've been told by a few SRS series owners to try the SL-2000s out first before switching to the 194s because the SL-2000s sound smoother in the SRSs. I'm running all tube gear also, so this should tame some of the inherent harshness of the 2000s. I'll just have to see how I like the 2000s and go from there.
  • hangon
    hangon Posts: 228
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Polk SDA SRS and 2.3tl.jpg
    My latest score are the SRS-SDA, on the left....Scored them for $600.00 on Saturday..
    HT Theater

SRS-SDA 2.3tl RDO's
    Custom Center made out of a RTA15tl
    Pioneer Elite SC-25 Receiver
    CineNova Grande 5 channel Amp
    Klipsch KA-1000-THX Sub Amp
    (2)Klipsch KW-120-THX Subs

Basement System

SRS-SDA 1.2 upgraded Xover
    Pioneer Elite SC-25 Receiver
    ADCOM GFA 5500
    ADCOM GFA 5503
    Yahama P7000S Pro Audio Amp
    dbx 120x-ds Sub-harmonic Synthesizer
    2-JBL 4645C Subs
    1-Paradigm SW2200 Sub
    Klipsch Reference in wall's
  • Dawgfish
    edited May 2012
    Options
    ^^^ Wow that is a steal! Congrats on the score.
  • Mr. Bubbles
    Mr. Bubbles Posts: 736
    edited May 2012
    Options
    hangon wrote: »
    Polk SDA SRS and 2.3tl.jpg
    My latest score are the SRS-SDA, on the left....Scored them for $600.00 on Saturday..

How do you like them compared to the 2.3's. can you give me (all of us here) a rundown of your thoughts good/ better of each one. I do not have any 2.3's (yet) but I like the 2A's I have the best so far. From all technical info I can gather I'm betting I may like the 2.3's (and probably even the SRS 2's) better than my SRS's, but this is just a guess at this point.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • BrettT1
    BrettT1 Posts: 560
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Hi, Dawgfish.

Great score on the SRS2s. Which interconnect do they have? Talk to the old folks downstairs and find out when they'll be gone for a while so you can give 'em a test run.

Brett
  • Dawgfish
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Brett,

Thanks! These have the pin-blade interconnect. I've changed my mind on not playing these in MS, so now I'm looking to build a second system in the apartment. I know what the folks below me drive now, so occasionally when they're not around, I'm going to clean-out the cob webs;-) When they are around, I'm just going to keep things down low. They are really nice people, so I don't want to disturb them. I'll have to have a talk with them and let them know that I probably will open up the volume a little bit when they are not around, so if they come home and I'm airing them out, they can let me know so I can turn things down. How's life been treating you?

Steve
  • BrettT1
    BrettT1 Posts: 560
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Steve,

Things could be worse. PM me your email so I can send you a few pics.

Brett