Polk Monitor 10B's for Sale

transmaster
transmaster Posts: 428
edited July 2012 in Vintage Speakers
Found a pair of Monitor 10B's for sale at the outfit below, They have a bunch of other interesting vintage used speakers. The 10B's are roughly half way down the page. Below is the description found on the website.

http://www.soundsclassic.com/speakers.html

p16i26
Item: 1049
Manufacturer: Polk Audio
Model: Monitor Series
Condition: (8.5-9.4) Excellent
Price $ 250
Description:
These speakers come packed with 2 6" woofers with a 10" passive radiator, a 1 1/4" dome tweeter and vinyl wood-grain cabinets (rosewood)
Radio Station W7ITC
Post edited by transmaster on

Comments

• transmaster
    edited April 2012
    I am curious what is a fair price for a good set of 10B's
    Radio Station W7ITC
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited April 2012
    my personal feelings are that, though it is hard to tell exactly from pictures, that the veneer needs a little work to bring it to life. a couple of the corners look maybe a little worn? and assuming the drivers are in good working order, you know most anyone here will rework the crossovers, which will be most likely $75-100 at the least? or maybe i just speak for myself...:cheesygrin:
    i think if i had the chance i would offer $175 in hopes of getting them for $200. most recently i saw a couple of pairs of 11T's on CL for $200-225. i guess in my mind they are in the ballpark.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • transmaster
    edited April 2012
    Thanks it when I finish with my 10B's I will have somewhere around $200 dollars into them. The XO's are done with Sonicap Gen I for the high pass, and an Xeon True Cap's for the low pass, I am waiting for the two replacement MW-6503's to get here to finish them up.
    Radio Station W7ITC
  • 11tsteve
    edited April 2012
    confused a little... did you buy the ones in the link or are you re-doing a pair of your own?

sounds about right... i used Gen 1's, Mills, and a Jantzen low pass, Mortite, and dampening on the baskets. got lucky with the 20% sale on the caps... i would say i just did my 11ts for $150...
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited April 2012
    They can usually be found for Approx. $100-$125. One thing to check for is if all the mid-woofers are operable and not scraping or frozen tight ! Then.....there's the test for air leakage. The best (IMO) model of 10s are the ones with the Peerless tweeter. Mine are 10As and I paid $90 for them, BTW, the "veneer" is vinyl contact sheeting on most, if not all, of the Mon. 10s. My advice is to search the info on here before "leaping" to buy any vintage (or current, for that matter) Polk speakers. Have fun and good luck !:wink:
  • 11tsteve
    edited April 2012
    thanks for more info!
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • transmaster
    edited April 2012
    I was curious about the value. I have no intention of ever selling my 10B's there are too many memories associated with them. I am going to add the Dynamat to the spiders. I can get Dynamat for a great price from Jegg's or Summit Racing.
    Radio Station W7ITC
  • 11tsteve
    edited April 2012
    is there that big of a difference between Dynamat and the sheets of sound dampening material Parts Express sells?

this is what i used and it seemed to do what i needed... http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=268-030
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • transmaster
    edited April 2012
    I looked at the stuff at Parts Express and I have to say I like Dynamat much better it is much thinner then the stuff at Parts Express, t does cost more but not outrageously expensive, $20 dollars will get all you will need to do, perhaps, 4 MW-650X drivers, if you are doing an large SDA system there is a $30 roll that should do it. I have used Dynamat in my vehicles for years. I saw Dynamat being used on spiders in another thread in this forum, and it was the first time I had run into this use. When the reason was explained it made since. When I install new floor carpet I use dynamat under the new carpet. It insulates and deadens road noise, and dampens body resonances. I am not dumb enough to waste money on headers for a stock engine but those that have or have and engine that can take advantage of them, headers, especially long tube headers set up nasty resonances in car bodies and especially truck cab's that will drive you crazy out on the highway and prevent you from hearing a good music system. Dynamat goes a very good job of making the passenger compartment livable.

http://www.dynamat.com/index.html

You can get what you need at a discount here,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DYC-10415/

Summit Racing is a great outfit for car and truck goodies, they are an old friend.:cheesygrin:
    Radio Station W7ITC
  • 11tsteve
    edited April 2012
    thanks for the response. i have not had the opportunity to use Dynamat yet, and couldn't find it when i was re-doing my speakers. perhaps i should just get some, because i have the feeling there may be more polks in my future....
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • gdb
    edited April 2012
    My small block Chevy headers from Summit sucked **** as far as fit goes...........had to get waffle -ey gaskets for a decent seal ! Coulda' used some sound deadener stuff to kill some of the leak noise !!!:lol:
  • gdb
    edited April 2012
    11tsteve wrote: »
    thanks for the response. i have not had the opportunity to use Dynamat yet, and couldn't find it when i was re-doing my speakers. perhaps i should just get some, because i have the feeling there may be more polks in my future....

I found a good price on a "wedge pak" on ebay.:wink:
  • 11tsteve
    edited April 2012
    after purchasing my Acurus amp and preamp, plus a couple of other smaller deals, my wife has set an exception in my firewall to Ebay....:razz:

seriously, thanks for the info. it never occurred to me to look there.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • transmaster
    edited April 2012
    gdb wrote: »
    My small block Chevy headers from Summit sucked **** as far as fit goes...........had to get waffle -ey gaskets for a decent seal ! Coulda' used some sound deadener stuff to kill some of the leak noise !!!:lol:

You don't want to go cheap on headers. The plates that bolt to the head is all important if you look at a header from Edelbrock this plate is very heavy and will not warp.

People that are installing high end music systems in a car or truck one of the first things they do is line the body doors, firewall with dynamat.
    Radio Station W7ITC
  • gdb
    edited April 2012
    They were Summit's own headers, emissions compliant and Not cheap. They were fabricated poorly from the start with a curve built into a pretty heavy plate. Lousy inspection/quality control was no match for my hammer,anvil & rosebud torch tip !:lol:
  • billmich
    billmich Posts: 19
    edited July 2012
    I am looking to sell my Monitor 10B's if anyone is interested. Any idea how much it would be to properly package and ship these monsters? Otherwise it will have to be a local sell (Detroit area)

I also have the stands

let me know if interested
    badlhoch@hotmail.com
    Main L/R= RT800I
    center: CS400I
    surrounds: FX500i
    surround back (center): CS245i
    sub= psw450
    front presence : RT25i
    Current receiver : Yamaha RX-V3000 (all above equipment purchased in 2000) 6.1 +Front presence

I'm upgrading to 11.2, surround back will be removed...
    new surround back: TSI200
    new back presence: TSI100
    new sub: PSW125
    New Receiver: Yamaha RX-A3010

7.1 (11.2)...