New sda srs in the house

Options
Polkajim
Polkajim Posts: 2
edited April 2012 in Forum Testing Area
I am new to this forum . Picked up a pair of sda srs in next to mint condition near my house. I am running an emotiva xpa2 amplifier . I upgraded all the tweeters to the 194's from Polk , big difference, much smoother sound. How much difference would I expect by updating the crossovers
Post edited by Polkajim on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Welcome, congrats on the SDA's.

Upgrading x-overs will take you to the next level. You will not be disappointed. Lots of DIY threads and discussion here if haven't already noticed.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Welcome to CP and +1 on upgrading the Xovers. The improvement in sound quality with new high quality resistors and film caps is dramatic.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Polkajim
    Polkajim Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Good. These are some huge crossovers . I am pretty handy with a soldering gun. What usually is the average cost to do this myself and where would I get the capacitors from, some place like radio shack? Thank
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Polkajim wrote: »
    Good. These are some huge crossovers . I am pretty handy with a soldering gun. What usually is the average cost to do this myself and where would I get the capacitors from, some place like radio shack? Thank

Not radioshack!

Many here have had great success using Sonicap Gen 1 film caps and Mills 12 watt resistors, which can be found here: http://www.soniccraft.com/ There's a 20% off sale so you can save a little money too.

Others report that Clarity Caps are a good choice, I think the ESA's IIRC.

You can find schematics and wiring diagrams here in post #5: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?55888-POLK-AUDIO-Speaker-Wiring-Schematics-amp-More-Stereo-Dimensional-Array(SDA)

Best to do some searches and get your read on, and then post questions. Pics are helpful too.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer