?rti150 owners

Options
steelervic
steelervic Posts: 142
edited October 2003 in Speakers
hi, i have 150's that need more power. my question is for those of you who have added an amp to your system to feed them. was it worth it? is there a huge difference even at low and moderate listening levels? how much low freq change is there? what amp did you go with, are you happy with it? also if anyone has biamped with a receiver running mids/highs and external amp on woofers? my mids and highs sound ok but the low freq is lacking, i just want to hear some first hand experience before i go drop a lot of $ on an amp just for them.
thanks for any opinions, vic
Post edited by steelervic on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I decided to myself, the 150's work if you have No sub or 2 channel use.. Yes an amp improves the sound, yes the receiver can power the mids and tweets just fine.. after its all said and done, NO its not really worth it to spend a ton on just a 2 channel amp soley for the 150's IMO, Unless again, you never plan to get a great sub, or you want a awsome set for a stereo pair..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Steel,

The 150's are awesome speakers, and yes they do love power. As to your questions, faster is correct for the most part. But when it comes to having to spend a ton of money just to power these, you don't. You didn't mention what you do plan to power them with, but lets hope it does have pre-amp outs, if so, then you can pick up some very nice used 150 w/c to 200 w/c amps and not have to spend alot of cash. Now, bare in mind. If you already have a nice receiver, then let it power the mids and tweets, and use an external amp to power the woofers, also, you will need to look for something that can handle dips into the 4 ohm range, and possibly as low as 2 ohms. Which is what is making it so hard for some people to power the 150's by shutting down amps and receivers that have a hard time sustaining low impedence ranges.